Thread: Gray Tree Froglet sitting on the bottom & wont move!

newfrogirl

Default Gray Tree Froglet sitting on the bottom & wont move!

Name:  DSCF5076.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  96.5 KBI have a gray tree froglet that lost his tail about 10 days ago. He is in a terrarium with coconut fiber, tall plants and sticks (exo terra). he has a water bowl, and the temp is 75 degrees. the humidity is about 70-80. The first few days I had him in his new home he was on the tall plants, and moved around. For the last 3 days he has been sitting in one spot on the bottom, and hardly moves. I have never seen him eat, but I assume he is since he is still alive. I put fruit flies in daily. What is wrong with him? Why wont he move around. He is covered in the substrate, and I am worried it makes it hard for him to climb. He does not look happy to me. He has also gotten darker in color, almost the color of the dark brown substrate. This was the best picture I could get of him without disturbing him. Help please! *On another note, how often do you change coconut fiber substrate? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

newfrogirl

Default Re: Gray Tree Froglet sitting on the bottom & wont move!

I should also mention that I am not positive he is a gray tree frog. I got tadpoles online, and the sellers guess is that it is a gray tree frog (they came from Florida). He is definitely a tree frog, he has always been light brown in color with a lighter underside). Also, I do use spring water for him that I change daily. He currently has no lighting, because I didn't know the set up didn't come with a bulb. A bulb is on the way though. He has an under tank heating pad, but I don't think it does much through the substrate. I haven't dusted his food, because I just read about that today.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Well I think you are off to a good start but if you could put him in the water dish to wash off
    and get a good picture from the top and the side, I am sure some one here can correctly identify your new baby.

You might want to carefully move the UTH to one of the sides.
    since if the heater gets too warm and water spills on the hot glass it might shatter.

newfrogirl

OK thanks, I moved the heater. Here are better photos. Also, sorry if I am asking too many questions, but I also have another tadpole that is just starting to grow legs. Will they be able to share a home, or will the baby I have now be big enough to eat the new one. Thanks again! Name:  DSCF5084.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  76.8 KBName:  DSCF5094.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  82.6 KB

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Don't worry, ask all the questions you want,
    That is what this forum is for.

Since it is so small I really can't tell if it is a grey tree frog or a cuban tree frog.

Just keep the Temp and humidity where they are and I think your little one will be fine.

Hopefully you have the flightless fruit flies.
    you also could put a small glass dish buried into the substrate so the top of the dish is level with the substrate
    and put some pinhead crickets in the dish.

The rule of thumb for feeding prey to a frog is food that is no bigger than the space in-between its eyes.

also frogletts this small that just came out of the water from being a tadpole don't eat right away.

take a deep breath, new frog parents tend to panic. I know I did.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do to the reddish eyes I'm going with cuban tree frog. The eyes turn gold over time.

demon amphibians

honestly the substrate wont hurt but i learned that it is easier to clean without it. My tree frogs seem to do better since i have introduced a small damp towel at the bottom instead of substrate. Mine do spend time at the bottom of the tank as well. I change the towel out ever couple of days. I use De-chlorinated water to dampen the towel. Makes cleaning super easy and fast. And above all the frogs love it. However I would ONLY do this method with tree frogs. Reason why you can do it this way is the tree frog spends most of its time up in the plants. It will hide in the plants and feel save. Other frogs dont do that. Either way you cant go wrong with coco fiber. Just food for thought. cute frog by the way.

Nationality
    [United States]

Agree with DA in that unprinted damp paper towels make a good substrate for many tree frogs, specially when they are babies. Some members even keep a piece of absorbing terry like cloth in their tree frog enclosure bottom and wash them in hot water/reuse them. Unless the size difference is enough between froglets and one fits in the other's mouth; you will be fine keeping together. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

newfrogirl

Thanks for your help. I hope you are right, because he went immediately back to his corner spot/hole he dug himself (first photo). Its not even the side by the heater, so I don't think he is cold. I guess no one told him he is a tree frog I also ordered a hiding log for him that is not here yet, so maybe he just wants a place to hide for now.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome newfrogirl and congratulations on being a new froggy mommy
    To start with......even know my profile says I'm a junior member I've been on this site for several years. When my laptop, I was using to log onto this site, crashed I couldn't remember my password for my old username, so I'm back at square one again :-(
    Over the past 7 years I've raised somewhere between several hundred to several thousand tadpoles of various local species of frogs and american toads, one in particular was the grey tree frog, which is definitely one of my favorites. :-)
    I'm pretty sure your frog is not a gray tree frog and will take Daniel's expertise that it's a Cuban tree frog. Identification is extremely important, so you know how to properly care for your frog. I suggest continue taking clear pics and post them, just to be 100% sure. (No offense to Daniels Id)
    However, for the most part, tree frog setups are relatively similar, with the exception of temperature, humidity, and possibly a few other details. You may want to look up, on this site first, a care sheet for the Cuban tree frog, hopefully that's what it is and hopefully there is a care sheet specifically for that species frog. You may find one on similar sites. I'm going to try to give you as much information to get you started as I can
    1.make sure both the frogs are the same species, I would start by calling the person you got them from, assuming there tadpoles have morphed as well, they may have positively identified them already and hopefully we'll be able to tell you that they're both the same species. Mixing frog species is a big no no. Frogs excrete toxins of various levels of toxicity, most are harmless to people with a few exceptions, so putting two different species in the same tank could one or both frogs.
    2. most trees frogs, as the name implies, spend most of their time in the trees, so you want a tank that's higher than wider, if you have a fish tank you can turn it on its side. There's a lot of videos and instructions on this website and the Internet on converting tanks, but for now you just want to make sure you're tank is safe and secure and set up properly for your frog.
    3. Since you're froglets have just recently morphed I do suggest the paper towel route as demon amphibians and mentat both suggested, it's a lot easier to clean and you could see if your frog is pooping....if it's coming out and its going in :-) As they get larger you can determine what kind of substrate you'd like to use. I prefer coconut fiber, I ordered online through an ad on this site, that come in dry bricks that you moisten, mixed with chemical free organic potting soil.
    4. A small "pool" , shallow pan a few inches wide (the one in the pic is fine just don't fill it up too high) for them to soak in. Since they are small froglets only make it shallow enough that they can submerge their body but keep their heads above the surface and make sure they can get out of the pool easily. I can't tell you how many froglets have drown because the water was too deep and they couldn't get out and as I believe you mentioned make sure you treat any tap water.
    5. Add in tall plants, vines, logs, rocks, etc. I try to make sure that I have these things at different heights, and primarily several that reach or are close to the top of the tank ceiling. you can use real or fake plants and vines, but make sure they're not poisonous, are hardy enough to be climbed on, don't have sharp edges, spines, points or thorns, and are strong enough to hold your frogs. I use potted plants, it's easier to clean out the tank, and have a variety that seem to be working for me. A few I've used include: snake plants, elephant ear, Dracaenas, and pothos make great vines. I'm pretty sure there's a list out there and lots of suggestions on plants that people use.
    6. Depending on your frog species they require the temperature and humidity similar to the natural habitat. For example. 78-84 during the day and 68-74 at night at 65% humidity. My frogs are fine at room temperature and I added a small light, in addition to their normal UVA and UVB plant light I keep on during the day, 24/7 that gives off some heat that they enjoy sitting under.
    I'm wondering if your frog is burying himself because your humidity may be too low....you may want to buy a hydrometer, you're only a few dollars and you can stick them on the inside of the tank so you can check the humidity. I have a small stretching bottle to keep treated water and ice picks the tank once daily and more often during the winter when the heats on and it gets very dry in the house but you can refer to the hydrometer and determine what would be necessary from that.
    7. food. After the tads morph into froglets they don't eat for several days, it may take even a little longer than that. As they morph into froglets they "resorb" their tails and gain all the nutrients from this, so don't panic yet if they haven't eaten. at this stage I almost always suggest you either use a cricket bowl and/or a feeding container. the feeding bowl is a small clear glass Pyrex bowl about 3 to 4 inches round and about 1 to 2 inches high. You'll place the bowl in the frogs tank in an area that can be seen by the frogs, is easy for them to get into, as well as, easily accessable to you. depending on what you're feeding your frogs, which should be no larger than the width between their eyes, put a fewl in this bowl and they will be attracted to the movement and go in and eat... it may take a little time for them to figure out they have to go up and into the bowl, sometimes they'll attacked the side of this bowl for a while, if they do that I usually pick them up and put them in the bowl. you can use pinhead crickets or wingless fruit flies, as previouly suggested. You can get them from a variety of the vendors who supply feeder insect and will deliver them overnight or you can try local pet stores. you can also use a small container either an empty Cool Whip container or some other type of Tupperware with a lid. just dump in several crickets or a bunch of fruit flies and they should eat them up. If they don't you can just keep trying.... sometimes they won't eat right away due to stress. You can even try both methods until you're satisfied theyre eating at least one of these ways. I prefer these types of feeding in the beginning because you can keep track of if and what theyre eating.. I also dump some fruit flies in there tank anyway because they should be allowed to eat as often as much as they want and can in the beginning, so make sure that there's always food available either in the bowl or in the tank.
    I hope I've covered as much as you may need for now if you have any questions just post them and I'm sure somebody will try to answer them as best as they can. Best of luck

Nationality
    [United States]

1.make sure both the frogs are the same species, I would start by calling the person you got them from, assuming there tadpoles have morphed as well, they may have positively identified them already and hopefully we'll be able to tell you that they're both the same species. Mixing frog species is a big no no. Frogs excrete toxins of various levels of toxicity, most are harmless to people with a few exceptions, so putting two different species in the same tank could one or both frogs
    Could kill one or both frogs!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

#6 supposed to read ...I use a small spray bottle with treated water in it and spritz the tank daily or as much as needed to determine by the hydrometer

Thread Information