Thread: Fat frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Fat frogs.

I finally got my frogs some worms. My boyfriend cut one up according to advise on another thread--and they loved it. Now they are looking quite happy and fat. Even though they are under a year should I skip a day of feeding or give them much less food than normal?
    I am not sure which is healthier, as I do not want to over feed them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    ~children~
    Ксениа, a beautiful yet mischievous calico cat.
    Cecil & Carlos, two active and growing little froglettes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tongue Flicker

Default Re: Fat frogs.

Worms are fattening and so should only be fed less than you would a cricket or a roach

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Earthworms are just about the best thing you can give your frog and can be offered just as much as roaches which is my other favourite feeder.

5. This member thanks Truffs1178 for this post:

Tongue Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Earthworms are just about the best thing you can give your frog and can be offered just as much as roaches which is my other favourite feeder.
    Oh the same as turtles and hedgehogs then. But for fishes they get bloated with eating worms

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    Oh the same as turtles and hedgehogs then. But for fishes they get bloated with eating worms
    In actuality feeding live earth worms doesn't cause bloat just full bellies. Feeding every other day is ok for for adult frogs.
    They won't over eat. just feed what they will eat in 10 to 15 min and make sure all uneaten food is removed.

On the other hand freeze dried food will cause gas bloat and can be dangerous for both fish and frogs alike.

Nationality
    [United States]

African Clawed frogs are very efficient animals and hold on to body fat (around the kidneys) very well. Which is why they can survive starvation conditions for a very long time.

As far as earthworms, I feed mine nightcrawlers often. Even my under 2" male frog gets a full nightcrawler now and then and he does just fine with it. If your frogs are becoming obese (which I doubt because a growing frog will turn energy into growth) then feed less often.

I would alternate between reptomin and nightcrawlers, toss in crickets once every few weeks for a live treat. I find throwing live crickets into the water is very stimulating for these frogs, they enjoy hunting.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    Worms are fattening and so should only be fed less than you would a cricket or a roach
    I suppose it depends on the worm. Canadian Nightcrawlers are a common food I feed my frogs and they actually contain less fat than a roach.

Another reason I like Canadian Nightcrawlers is because their calcium to phosphorus ratio is quite good. This is very important for frogs, which need calcium in their diet.

Source: Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

10. This member thanks mpmistr for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I suppose it depends on the worm. Canadian Nightcrawlers are a common food I feed my frogs and they actually contain less fat than a roach.

Another reason I like Canadian Nightcrawlers is because their calcium to phosphorus ratio is quite good. This is very important for frogs, which need calcium in their diet.

Source: Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values
    Yes, they were nightcrawlers. Good to know it's such a healthy snack.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    ~children~

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    African Clawed frogs are very efficient animals and hold on to body fat (around the kidneys) very well. Which is why they can survive starvation conditions for a very long time.

As far as earthworms, I feed mine nightcrawlers often. Even my under 2" male frog gets a full nightcrawler now and then and he does just fine with it. If your frogs are becoming obese (which I doubt because a growing frog will turn energy into growth) then feed less often.

I would alternate between reptomin and nightcrawlers, toss in crickets once every few weeks for a live treat. I find throwing live crickets into the water is very stimulating for these frogs, they enjoy hunting.
    That's kind of what I started minus the crickets (So far). I just don't know if they need food today because they look so big. I think maybe a stick of reptomin each shouldn't be too bad.

Though it was nice to see their instincts kick in, even with just worm bits.

~children~

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    In actuality feeding live earth worms doesn't cause bloat just full bellies. Feeding every other day is ok for for adult frogs.
    They won't over eat. just feed what they will eat in 10 to 15 min and make sure all uneaten food is removed.

On the other hand freeze dried food will cause gas bloat and can be dangerous for both fish and frogs alike.
    Ah. So they do have a "full" sensation. I don't feed them anything freeze dried. I learned that by accidentally killing a juvenile. C
    They get reptomin and now nightcrawlers. I'm now trying to figure out a good feeding schedule. They are maybe 4-5 months so I still feed daily.

~children~

Nationality
    [United States]

Would every other day be too much for feeding frogs under a year worms? I got a fair amount of them in my fridge and I don't want them to die off.
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

Randy

I feed mine night crawlers all the time as do most zoos . Fat is healthy as long as they have room to swim it off.I also feed them bloodworms and hikari and dried shrimp pellets

Nationality
    [Canada]

My frogs eat twice per week max, some times I skip a week and they are still plenty plump. Any aquatic animal that is capable of fasting long periods will also always act like they are hungry. They have an instinct to consume and store as much as possible. Another example would be goldfish, always hungry, but can go months under ice without food.

Thread Information