Thread: Whites tree frogs great escape!

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Blog Entries

Default Whites tree frogs great escape!

Hi, about 30min ago my parents came into my room holding my newest addition to my whites tree frogs, It was 4:55 in the morning and I was very tired and shocked. They told me they had found me in there bathroom when they heard a loud bang, He was on the scales.

I placed him into the water bowl so he could have something to drink and clean off all the dust. I'm a little worried he might have hurt himself because he has been sitting in the water bowl for 30min and has not moved.

But this is only the start to his adventure. I was almost %100 sure that I made sure the tank was latched, but I must have forgot, now the most alarming part of his adventure is that he managed to leave my room. My door was closed and latched shut there was no way the door to my room was open, because when my mum came into my room with him the door was still latched shut.

The only other way for him to escape is under the door, but this would have to be impossible! I can fit my finger under the door let alone fit a fully grown adult whites tree frog under it!!! Or could he have managed it?

i decided to check of the path between my room and my parents room. I found a oval shape out of dust where two walls meet, clear sign he had climbed the wall. That was the only sign I have found so far.

So what I would like to know is how could he have fit under the door? could he be injured? How long do you think he was out of his tank?

Thanks for any help!! =p

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Whites tree frogs great escape!

they can sit in the water bowl for a while he is probably just a little dehydrated, they are stronger than you think, you should probably just keep an eye on him and make sure the lid is attached and make sure he is climbing ok. they are pretty curious little guys sometimes, i am not sure how long he could have been out, any time between you leaving the lid unhinged and him figuring out he could get out.

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice, he has now climbed up to the magnetic ledge to find his buddy sitting in his spot so he climbed over to my second ledge and he didn't look like he had any injuries apart from a little nose rub that was already there.

Nationality
    [United States]

hows the nose rub doing?

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Blog Entries

I have been putting betadine on it for the last 3 days he may have opened it back up again, so just to be sure I will put betadine on it tonight .

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Blog Entries

A little off topic, 3/4 of my whites tree frogs have nose rub. One has a lot of it on his face and has been there for almost 2 months now, the other two got it 4 days ago. I put betadine on the one with the worst when it happend and it hasn't changed yet, same with the others. It's black lines, or dots not pink like I see in other posts. Does this mean scaring hasn't taken place and I can still setup and hospital tank and apply some silverdine to help prevent scaring and promte healing?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi,

They are amazing ! Almost and %100 are very different Did you get up during the night !
    Maybe he hitched a ride on the door ?

A really clean hospital set-up is ( dampened paper towel substrate/dampened with de-chlorinated water) - never a bad idea - especially if there is broken skin. SSD is always better than the other topicals. The SSD I keep on hand was formulated for tree frogs by a herp vet. I have not used any 'over-the-counter' SSD.

Just wanted you to mention to you : be sure your betadine does NOT have any pain reliever in it!
    The pain reliever ingredients could poison ( even kill ) your frog.

If you don't not have SSD (Silversulfadiazene is a topical antibiotic and antifungal ) .Try to find 'neosporin' cream ( not ointment) to treat the nose rub. The 'ointments' are not safe near their eyes. Use a clean q-tip each time to apply A SPECK OF MEDICATION.

Don't worry how long the frogs soaks after something like this. As mentioned, the longer the better > for re-hydration

As for the constant 'trying to escape'. Double check the temp and humidity gauges.
    Suspend lot of sturdy leaves/ or frogs safe perch( wood) / up as high as possible in the enclosure to help make them feel more content.
    When housing more than one frog....... adequate space is important.
    They are a very docile species , aggression is not common. However, be sure there is nothing going on between them that you might interpret as aggression or competition. If so, a larger enclosures will solve the problem

The black streaks are part of the healing process. After complete healing, if scared, the skin will appear lighter than the frogs normal skin color in that area of their body.

Keep up posted
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply! I checked the bottle and packaging of the betadine to see if it says if it has pain reliever or not. I couldn't find anything to tell me if it did or didn't. I think I remember telling my mum when she went to the pharmacy to ask for the one without pain reliever, but I'm not 100%.

There is a chance I could have gotten up in the night but not left my room and come back in. My door latches shut only when you pull real hard on it. So if I had left my room in the night the door would have been closed but not latched shut which it was when my parents came in so he must have gone under the little gap.

I have a magnetic ledge that the all like to sit on at the one time and a vine to clime on. But In the next few weeks I'm going to upgrade from a 45x45x60 to a 60x60x90 and add in a custom silicon background with ledges for the to sit on and get some more magnetic ledges as well.

Thread Information