Thread: Worried about my pacman! MBD???

Default Worried about my pacman! MBD???

I'm sorry about the bad quality photos. I was misinformed when I got this guy and it has been a few months! I wasn't giving him calcium dust! I had him on a mixed diet of crickets and earthworms.

Does he look ok? Is he okay?

The tank is at 80f and 80% humidity. I feed him every other day/every third day when he declines food. He has moist substrate that he can burry in.

The only thing I was not told about was the calcium!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Worried about my pacman! MBD???

I don't see any obvious signs of MBD, but you should start using Calcium powder with D3. You will also meed a mulitvitamin powder, which you should not use the same night as the calcium. If you would like, please fill out the Trouble in the Enclosure questions so that we have a complete picture of the frog and its environment.

1. Size of enclosure- 10 Gallon Aquarium (He is blocked in on three sides so as to minimize anxiety due to openness)
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences (None other than the 1 pacman frog)
    3. Humidity (Around 80%)
    4. Temperature (Also around 80, though I have had some trouble with this- I am working on it currently)
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish (Both treated tap water- I have saw a few things about using distilled- Would this be better for him?)
    6. Materials used for substrate (A garden type soil without any fertilizer additives)
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. (None currently, In his previouse container he had some rocks and plants- We plan on adding new very soon.)
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source (Earthworms- fed lettuce,carrots, etc.)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) (Just started using calcium- Will also be getting a vitamin but it had to be ordered :/ my local selection is horrible!) (I am not sure how often I should use the calcium- Any timeline for me?)
    10. Lighting (An overhead day lamp used sparingly- I was lead to believe he would not need lighting- If this is false please make me aware! I can change this quickly! - He does have artificial lights in my room as I have multiple animals in there and keep a day/night cycle!)
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure (Currently only the light if needed- My room stays close to 80 degrees in and of it self. )
    12. When is the last time he/she ate (Today actually, He ate 2 earthworms both dusted lightly)
    13. Have you found poop lately (I did)
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) (already posted thought if you need a different angle please say)
    15. How old is the frog (I am not sure, I have had the frog around 5 months- I got him from petco so there really is no telling.)
    16. How long have you owned him/her (around 5 months, maybe less)
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred (Captive bred- Unless petco misinformed me)
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats (Every other day- Do I need to increase this? He is currently fed Earthworms as a staple with crickets rarely)
    19. How often the frog is handled (The frog is moved to a feeding area when fed- Other than this he is not handled at all)
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area (Medium traffic I would say.)
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) (I spot clean every other day and change water once a week)

And thank you for the reply! I was worried sick. He is acting completely normal but after I acquired this new information I felt horrible! Im just glad I didn't go longer without knowing!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Recommended some actions below. Hope this helps and happy holidays !
    Quote Originally Posted by ReptileLover1 View Post
    1. Size of enclosure- 10 Gallon Aquarium (He is blocked in on three sides so as to minimize anxiety due to openness)
    Depending on frog size, a large 10G tank can stress out a small frog. Keeping it inside a small critter keeper with just a water dish and small silk plant is a better choice. You can place the keeper inside the 10G for temp and humidity control until frog is around 3-3.5 in.; then release it in the 10G.

4. Temperature (Also around 80, though I have had some trouble with this- I am working on it currently)
    Try to get day temp to 82, it can drop a few degrees at night. You can seal most of top out with aluminum foil to help retain heat.

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish (Both treated tap water- I have saw a few things about using distilled- Would this be better for him?)

Continue using treated tap for frogs bath and mixing with substrate. You can use distilled water only for misting; but avoid misting frog directly.

6. Materials used for substrate (A garden type soil without any fertilizer additives)
    EcoEarth or Plantation Soil shredded coco is a simple good substrate.

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. (None currently, In his previouse container he had some rocks and plants- We plan on adding new very soon.)
    Pacmans tend to trample and damage live plants. Some members keep though Pothos with their frogs.

8. Main food source (Earthworms- fed lettuce,carrots, etc.)

Earthworms are the best food. Can also add insects like Dubia Roaches or crickets. Feed those carrots, lettuce, and other cherios 24-48 hours before use.

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) (Just started using calcium- Will also be getting a vitamin but it had to be ordered :/ my local selection is horrible!) (I am not sure how often I should use the calcium- Any timeline for me?)
    Repashy or RepCal make good products. Here are some sample schedules to use: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

10. Lighting (An overhead day lamp used sparingly- I was lead to believe he would not need lighting- If this is false please make me aware! I can change this quickly! - He does have artificial lights in my room as I have multiple animals in there and keep a day/night cycle!)
    Pacmans are nocturnal and do not need artificial light if room gets indirect lighting. Can use red lights or ceramic heat emitters for heating purposes. If using those recommend a dimmer type dome so you can control it's output. Other options are using manual (rheostat) or automatic (thermostat) controllers. Do not place heat sources below tank; frogs dig down to cool.

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure (Currently only the light if needed- My room stays close to 80 degrees in and of it self. )
    See no. 4 and 10.

13. Have you found poop lately (I did)
    Spot clean daily and change substrate once a month.

18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats (Every other day- Do I need to increase this? He is currently fed Earthworms as a staple with crickets rarely)
    See no. 8.

21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) (I spot clean every other day and change water once a week)
    See 13 and change water daily with dechlorinated tap, even if it looks clean. A frog soaking in frog pee could get sick from Toxic Out Syndrome.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Default Worried about my pacman! MBD???

Okay, thank you so much for the help! I'll change the things you suggested- does it depend more on the crab with enclosure size? He does not act as if he is nervous at all- He may be though and I'm just not seeing it.

Nationality
    [United States]

If he's eating I wouldn't worry about the enclosure being to big. I started mine as a baby in a 10 and never had an issue, some get stressed out and don't start eating untill moved to something smaller.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Okay he eats amazingly! Thank you for your help!

Thread Information