Thread: Help with an injured Bull!

kmisher

Default Help with an injured Bull!

Our much loved Bullfrog came out of the pond today in our strange warm day (almost 70). He had been hibernating (we think) as it has been quite cold up till today in PA. We think he may have been injured by our cat : (

He is very sluggish and listing to the side a bit. There was a small amount of blood on the side by his ear, but I can't really see any significant injury. I brought him in and have him in a bucket for the moment. Any suggestions? Wondering if he is inside and warms up, if we will need to keep him in all winter (if he makes it). Afraid to shock his system. Keep him in and treat him? Or put him back in the pond?

Would SO appreciate advice!

Karen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with an injured Bull!

Hello and welcome to FF Karen! Hard call here; if injuries are serious, the frog might not make it through Winter outside . You could keep at home and care for it all the way through Spring and then release it. From the injury description frog might have been bitten on head; which would explain the sluggishness and listing due to nerve (hopefully) or even cerebral damage (bad). If available; a visit to a Herp veterinary (Arav or Herp Vet Connection) could help determine damage extent, get meds, and receive a professional answer to keep or release question. If a Vet visit is not possible; you can treat open wounds with a plain version (no analgesic) antibiotic like Neosporin or Silver based gel.

In the meantime you can keep it in a large plastic bin container with very damp unprinted paper towels for substrate, a water dish (use dechlorinated tap water for both), and a silk type plant. Change both towels and dish water daily. If clear plastic might need to cover the sides with paper to help frog calm down. Drill some holes in cover for air exchange and you are done.

You can use this care article to provide for the Bullfrog since their requirements are similar: Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886). Let us know what you decide and we will go from there. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

kmisher

Thank you for the advice. After taking a look at the pond, which is quite small... it seems like the water may have an issue. Don't want to put him back in there till I have a chance to see why it looks so cloudy and off color. So... we are putting him in a 30gal tank. Half water and half some land area. I'll get a plant in there too. Seems like keeping him cool, rather than warm is what I have read, so we will put the tank in a spare bedroom that stays cool. Do you maybe suggest Melafix in his water? Wish us luck, hoping we can keep him going till April!

5. This member thanks kmisher for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I commend you for your selfless act to save this frog ..

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad you decided to keep it! Yes, if you see no open injuries, can still use Melafix. Follow the label directions carefully (Melafix comes in several strengths) to mix it, so you do not overdose the frog. I've used a combo of Melafix/Pimafix on an ABF before for a 7 day treatment with no issues to frog. Change at least 50% water daily before medicating.

For food can use night crawlers available at Walmart or bait shops (use not dyed worms). If frog is smaller than 3 in. can cut them to frogs length from pointy end. If feeding crickets; gut load them with carrots, lettuce, and cherios for 24-48 hours before feeding. Size insects equal to distance between the frogs eyes. Once you get it eating; need to add CA/D3 supplements to frog's food. More info for that in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

kmisher

Default Re: Help with an injured Bull! UPDATE

Well, it seems that our bull frog is adjusting well to his indoor habitat. The wound looks healed and he is eating! Woo hoo! Now just to keep him healthy till April rolls around and he can take his residence back up in the pond. Thanks for the help!

Karen

9. This member thanks kmisher for this post:

Thread Information