Thread: Pacman frog diet and food

Andrew exotics

Default Pacman frog diet and food

Hello im going to buy a pacman frog is a few week and was wondering what i could feed as a staple dies other than crickets?i have easy access to night crawlers,waxworms,superworms,mealworms.Also what is the difference between red wrigglers,earthworms,night crawlers?(also forgot to note that the pacman will be just a little baby)thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pacman frog diet and food

Feed mostly crickets and nightcrawlers mostly. Roaches make another excellent addition you want to add as much variety as you can. Use wax worms, superworms and meal worms sparingly. They are fatty and harder to digest, the mealworms being compromised of the hardest shell and waxworms being the fattiest. Nightcrawlers and regulatory wiggles are just different species of earthworm. Nightcrawlers are much larger and redwigglers, and redwigglers release a horrible taste when they are injured and some frogs will not touch them. To feed the large nightcrawlers to your baby you can cut off chunks no longer than the length of the frogs body and tong feed them.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Best food are earthworms; a generic name for segmented worms living in soil and feeding on live and dead organic matter. Night crawlers are a species of earthworm; just as red wrigglers. The first (NCs) are good, readily available food in Walmart and bait shops (use not dyed ones). The RWs are not good, because they produce a foul tasted slime, that will make frogs avoid them and even other worms after tasting them.

Crickets are OK if you gut load them with veggies (carrots, lettuce) and cherios. Dubia and other roaches are better foods than crickets with more nutrient content. Beetle worms (mealworms, waxworms, etc.) are high in fat and their chitin exoskeleton can impact smaller frogs. Small rodents can be feed but only like once a month and they should be small compared to frog's size. A large rodent can remain undigested inside a frog and decompose inside it; which could get frog sick and kill it from a bacterial infection.

For a little baby all insects should be sized same as distance between frogs eyes. You can cut the NCs from their pointy end sized same as frogs mouth. Once baby reaches 1.5 to 2 in. can cut worms same length as the frogs. 3 in. and bigger can handle whole worms.

You need to use CA/D3 and vitamin supplements, specially on growing babies. Here is more info on that: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. For more information on Pacman's care please read this article: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Happy holidays !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Beetle worms (mealworms, waxworms, etc.) are high in fat and their chitin exoskeleton can impact
    Waxworms are a moth larvae
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Andrew exotics

With the red wrigglers will my frog even eat it?And can you guys please give me a feeding schedule type thingy if thats not to much to ask,also do they make alot of noise?thanks so much for your help

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    Waxworms are a moth larvae
    OK .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew exotics View Post
    With the red wrigglers will my frog even eat it?And can you guys please give me a feeding schedule type thingy if thats not to much to ask,also do they make alot of noise?thanks so much for your help
    Some will some won't, never tried using them myself. Offer food every night for a baby, let it have as much as it wants to eat for 15 minutes. They will refuse when they get full or on nights they arnt hungry. Dust food with a calcium w/ vitamin d3 supplement everyother feeding. And dust with a multivitamin once a week, don't use them on the same night.

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Thread Information