Thread: Hello........help

buddylee79

Default Hello........help

Hello Frog Fans.......

I am a proud owner of a ?????. That's right a ????. My girlfriend brought a tadpole home from work that came in with a shipment of feeder fish. Well not a tadpole anymore(at least not very much). I joined here in hopes you fine frog people could help ID this guy.

Thanks Buddyle79

ps anyone use feeder roaches?

justin shockey

Default Re: Hello........help

looks like a bull frog to me

buddylee79

Really...a baby bull....fun

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

No it's not a bullfrog - it's far too small. I think we can nail it if you can say how long it is from the tip of the nose to its rear (not the tail, but to where its butt is). Get a ruler out and let us know.

buddylee79

will do

will this do

Nationality
    [Ireland]

That's bigger than I expected. Do you know where the feeder fish came from? It's got to be a species local to where ever those fish are cultured. If you can answer that question too it would help.

buddylee79

I noticed the little guy has nicely webbed feet. Is it safe to assume he is an aquatic frog or does it not work that way(I am not well versed in frogs).

buddylee79

I can ask Molly(she "saved" the tadpole, crayfish too)to ask at work where they get the feeders from...

she says the feeders come from San Diego,CA...that I think is as close as I can get...

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by buddylee79 View Post
    I noticed the little guy has nicely webbed feet. Is it safe to assume he is an aquatic frog or does it not work that way(I am not well versed in frogs).
    Well, he is definitely a Ranid, member of the family Ranidae or true frogs. Most likely a leopard frog, but which one. If only we knew his place of origin, that would help a lot to nail it down. I am thinking its most likely Lithobates (Rana) sphenocephala, the southern leopard frog. This frog can be found in Florida and that's where most fish are cultured for the pet trade. Another possibilty is Lithobates (Rana) pipiens, the northern leopard frog. There is also the possibity that I could be totally wrong (about the leopard ID).

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I thought leopard frog too but it's a bit narrow in shape.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by buddylee79 View Post
    I can ask Molly(she "saved" the tadpole, crayfish too)to ask at work where they get the feeders from...

she says the feeders come from San Diego,CA...that I think is as close as I can get...
    I just saw this post. I didn't know there were fish farms in southern California. There are only two Ranids in the San Diego area, Lithobates catesbeianus, the North American bullfrog and Rana draytonii, the California red-legged frog.

Any way all the frogs I have mentioned so far have ridges along the back. All except one. That one is Lithobates catesbeianus, the bullfrog. It lacks these ridges. I think I see ridges in your photo, but I can't tell for sure.

buddylee79

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I just saw this post. I didn't know there were fish farms in southern California. There are only two Ranids in the San Diego area, Lithobates catesbeianus, the North American bullfrog and Rana draytonii, the California red-legged frog.

Any way all the frogs I have mentioned so far have ridges along the back. All except one. That one is Lithobates catesbeianus, the bullfrog. It lacks these ridges. I think I see ridges in your photo, but I can't tell for sure.
    If it helps, when taking the second photo the frogs hind legs appeared red on my cameras screen.

Kurt

Do a Google search of Rana draytonii, the California red-legged frog and possibly Rana aurora, the northern red-legged frog. See if any of the pictures you find match either of these frogs. If not google the others I have mentioned.
    I am betting more on the leopard frogs than I am on the red-legged frogs, as they are a little bit more on the rare side.

Kurt

BTW, is that a piece of coral in your tank? If so, I would take it out. Its not a good idea to have coral in a freshwater tank, it has a tendency to play havoc with the water chemistry.

buddylee79

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    BTW, is that a piece of coral in your tank? If so, I would take it out. Its not a good idea to have coral in a freshwater tank, it has a tendency to play havoc with the water chemistry.
    No...It is just a decoration. The tank is a "soup" of things my dear Molly has "saved" from petco. So far we have the frog(from the google search Rana aurora looks to be the one ,but, only time will tell), a crayfish that is getting very pretty, a goldfish, two minnows, some snails from the creek,and a bristlenose pleco....I know its probably not the best to house all these together but It beats being flushed....and they are all doing well. Thank you for all your help so far gentlemen...

Buddylee79

Kurt

You're welcome, but seriously remove the coral from the tank. It will raise the pH to a dangerous level. At this level ammonia in the tank will be deadly.

buddylee79

It is plastic coral decoration....should I still remove?

Kurt

No, that will be ok. Its the real stuff you don't want in there.

Thread Information