Thread: Suitable frog(s) for a beginner?

Priya04

Default Suitable frog(s) for a beginner?

Hi, I have a 20g high (which previously was a cichlid tank, a fw planted communityr and very recentyly,land hermit crab terrarium. I upgraded the hermits to a 55g)which is sitting empty. I was always interested in frogs...but never really researched the topic up until now. I know there are many species of frogs available, but that's the thing. How do I know which is the right one for me and vice versa (they have preferences too!)?

I would love have:
    *A semi-aquatic environment with floating plants (but tree frogs are OK too)
    *A single (or a pair, or few) low maintenance frog (I own other critters and totally know ALL living things come with needs, but the more easygoing they are, the better right?)
    *Diurnal (I have my hermit crabs. They're nocturnal enough for me)
    *Inexpensive set up (I have the tank, Bio-wheel filter, heater etc..the big stuff. Just need the hood. I want something that won't require elaborate set ups. Like something that will give me the option to go all out if I want to, but can live simply too).
    *OK with eating pellets, shrimps, freeze-dried things (ie no bugs, insects or worms plase )
    *A great beginner frog!!!

I am in Toronto, Canada and don't know many places other than PetSmart which sells frogs. Local classifieds don't seem to have many posts either (currently researching so looking for options ahead of time). Thanks!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Suitable frog(s) for a beginner?

Hi prya04, Great beginner frogs would be African clawed frogs, Pacman frogs, and Whites tree frogs. One whites could fit in the 20 gallon and a pair or maybe a trio of African clawed frogs in the 55 gallon, Another option would be dart frogs but they require more work and care but aren't hard to take care of. These are only three frogs but there are so many more
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Priya04

Thanks for the suggestions, Ryan. I am interested in the ACF after someone else told me about them...but don't know if I'll find anything in my local PetSmart. It's a great store which treats their animals well and thy do have a few species of frogs (saw last night) but no ACF. Most probably because of the season..because I didn't see their hermit crabs either. I only have the 20g to use (the 55g is for the hermits)..if I do find a ACF, do you think I can keep one in there? Do they do fine alone or need to be in pairs? My husband is leaning towards the semi-aquatic and so am I. We like the idea of having both the elements (plants, water and some dry land). However, I'd love to find all my options before making up my mind/coming across one particular frog...so a list of other beginner acquatics would be so much helpful!

Nationality
    [United States]

If you don't want to feed live insects you are pretty much left with just African clawed frogs, fully aquatic species, aggressive eaters and will gladly eat pellets, but still a varied diet of live prey is much better.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

demon amphibians

the bugs part is a must when owning frogs. All frogs are predators. They can only see prey items that move. Kinda like T-rex on Jurassic park. A great frog for you would be fire bellies. They meet all the requirements you listed aside from eating pellets.

Nationality
    [United States]

If eating pellets is required; you are limited to African Clawed Frogs as Mathew mentioned and could keep a pair in a 20H. Still, their diet should be varied, so need to add other items to it. Also, you could keep 8-10 African Dwarf Frogs instead. Either way, recommend keep water level couple inches below tank surface and use a tight fitting top. Both species are escape artists and when they get out; it usually ends in frog's death.

Demon mentioned FBT's and they are great beginners frogs; but those will only eat live moving stuff and will ignore pellets. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Tongue Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    If eating pellets is required; you are limited to African Clawed Frogs as Mathew mentioned and could keep a pair in a 20H. Still, their diet should be varied, so need to add other items to it. Also, you could keep 8-10 African Dwarf Frogs instead. Either way, recommend keep water level couple inches below tank surface and use a tight fitting top. Both species are escape artists and when they get out; it usually ends in frog's death.

Demon mentioned FBT's and they are great beginners frogs; but those will only eat live moving stuff and will ignore pellets. Good luck !
    Agreed. +1

9. This member thanks Tongue Flicker for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yea I've never seen ACFs at Petsmart before, I have however seen the dwarf frogs
    there. Are there any aquarium shops within your area that you could maybe ask
    about ordering ACFs? Clawed frogs do not need land, they never use it. You can
    keep a frog in a 10 gallon as a minimum but one would be more comfortable in the
    20 gallon. Other good beginner aquatics would include Axolotls and fire belly toads
    Lastnote on Clawed frogs is to use sand instead of gravel, This is because of
    impaction risks.
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

Tongue Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    Yea I've never seen ACFs at Petsmart before, I have however seen the dwarf frogs
    there. Are there any aquarium shops within your area that you could maybe ask
    about ordering ACFs? Clawed frogs do not need land, they never use it. You can
    keep a frog in a 10 gallon as a minimum but one would be more comfortable in the
    20 gallon. Other good beginner aquatics would include Axolotls and fire belly toads
    Lastnote on Clawed frogs is to use sand instead of gravel, This is because of
    impaction risks.
    I don't think axolotls should be considered a good beginner amphibian. Yes, they are hardy to some degree but according to the TS's needs; axolotls are not semi-aquatic, not diurnal, does best in a small group, should not be kept on a pellet or a freeze-dried only diet (they need live food i.e. worms, fish, non-hairy insects) and definitely not a frog. I agree with the fire-bellied toads, though. ACFs/ADFs are illegal or may require some license in some countries and some US states so they may not be readily available all the time since their breeding and importation is limited

Nationality
    [Canada]

yes they aren't frogs but i was under the impression of aquatics. Ive owned axolotls for a while now and i've seen my male out every day. I do agree that their diet should be varied and they arent semi aquatic, i feed mine Hikari blood worms and night crawlers. Amphibians in general do not get "Lonely" and don't have that affection towards each other. African clawed frogs are pretty common in some states but because they are an alien species, their ownership within some states is illegal. They are bred with hormones quite often and are very rarely if ever wild caught.
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    African clawed frogs are pretty common in some states but because they are an alien species, their ownership within some states is illegal. They are bred with hormones quite often and are very rarely if ever wild caught.
    Since you are in Canada I don't think that ACF'S are illegal to own.
    But they are in NC where I live.
    Your best source for ACF are web based like Josh frogs and LLreptiles.
    And don't forget your local pet store and not the big box stores like petco or petsmart
    The mom and pop stores are your best bet. But fake sure you check the frog out and see that it is healthy.
    not skinny and not dyed colors

ask to see them being fed and see if they have a good appetite

Hope this helps and welcome to the hobby,

I kept ACF and DACF's and I love them.
    if you have kept fish you can keep these guys.
    just vary their diet with frozen foods and not freeze dried foods like frozen krill shrimp and blood / black worms as a treat.
    reptimin sticks for frogs / turtles are a good staple food.
    and stay from fatty foods like beef hearts ect ect

when you get them set up pleas epos pictures, we love pictures!!!!!

Caio!!!

Priya04

Thanks so much eeryone! I haven't been able to read all the replies yet but i will as soon as I can. I just wanna thank everyone for enlightening me. I am interested in the ACFs but don't think I can find them here in toronto. At least...that's what it looks like. I still thinking about everything..if I don't find ACFs then I guess Dwarf African frogs it is..in a fw planted community? I don't like shopping at big box stores either. They're mostly interested in making money and don't really give you the correct info and/or take care of the animals. I know only 2 local shops..but one of them isn't very reputable and the other..while they're very good..I am not sure if they carry any frog. I will have to check. Another option is Big Al's (huge store yeah..but they don't seem half as bad as other big ones. In fact the PetSmart near me is very good too..but I prefer smaller shops). If I can't find any proper shops with the ACFs..(I don't know if i should risk buying online. It stresses the animals out)..then I should probably forget about a terrarium with frogs and move to fw community with some small fish and a few Dwarf african frogs (but they're sooo tiny!)

Tongue Flicker

What you could probably do is go to your pet store, list every frog they have available then we can narrow it down from there

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

ADF's are a good start,

I currently have a 46G bow front with 7 ADF's 14 neon tetras 3 cherry barbs 3 emerald cory's 4 Ottos

The tank has two huge amazon swords that I have to trim back every month or so.

The trick is feeding everyone with out over feeding the tank.

What I did was to place a small ceramic plate on the gravel (that is too big for the frogs to get into their mouths.)
    and I feed them a staple of tadpole / aquatic frog pelts that sink. I feed the fish on the other side of the tank
    while I pour the pelts over the dish. And the frogs have learned that the dish means food.

So far this has worked for the past 3 years and every once in a while I can hear the frogs calling.
    It sometimes sounds like leaking air.
    and I have found them having fun but no eggs. I think the fish are eating them.

One of these days I will have to set up a tank just for the frogs.

Thread Information