Thread: Is there a fog timer that detects the humidity level?

abacabb

Question Is there a fog timer that detects the humidity level?

I want to know if there is a timer out there that actually analyzes the humidity level and turns on the fogger when it drops to a certain percentage?

Reason being, right now I'm using a normal timer from the pet store. I calculated how much my humidity drops within a given amount of time so that I know how I want to set my fog timer. But this is not a good method, because at the initial stage where I do my calculation, that calculation is based off the current humidity level of the outside world. So basically if the humidity were to drop here, the humidity level inside the frog tank will naturally fall faster than my initial calculation. So basically it makes the timer semi-useless.

Does anyone know of a product that turns on the timer only when necessary? I want to be able to tell it to activate only when the humidity falls under 80%.

any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: Is there a fog timer that detects the humidity level?

Quote Originally Posted by abacabb View Post
    I want to know if there is a timer out there that actually analyzes the humidity level and turns on the fogger when it drops to a certain percentage?

Reason being, right now I'm using a normal timer from the pet store. I calculated how much my humidity drops within a given amount of time so that I know how I want to set my fog timer. But this is not a good method, because at the initial stage where I do my calculation, that calculation is based off the current humidity level of the outside world. So basically if the humidity were to drop here, the humidity level inside the frog tank will naturally fall faster than my initial calculation. So basically it makes the timer semi-useless.

Does anyone know of a product that turns on the timer only when necessary? I want to be able to tell it to activate only when the humidity falls under 80%.

any ideas?
    Yes, Zoo Med has something they call a "HygroTherm" that fits your description. It is a thermostat capable of sensing both temperature and humidity. I have one but only because I picked it up on sale for less than half the normal price. It works ok, but they are not cheap. Generally speaking humidity sensors are unnecessary for most frog related applications though. Humidity can be controlled sufficiently by restricting ventilation in most cases.

Kurt

Restricting ventilation is not something you want to do with treefrogs.

Paul Rust

I use the Hygro-Therm and I love it. I don't like variables or probable errors so I use the best devices I can find, this is one of them. It keeps my temps within 3 degrees of my setting regardless of room temp and has a built in adjustable night temp drop. I have my misting systems on timers but I use the humidity function as an emergency backup in my dart tanks to turn on another mister if the humidy gets too low. This thing does it all and very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information