Thread: Using Organic Fruits and Vegetables.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Using Organic Fruits and Vegetables.

It's probably a good idea to use organic fruits and vegetables for your feeder animals. Also for your other pets that eat the before mentioned items. Anyone's guess as to what is put on the so called regular fruits and vegetables

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tongue Flicker

Default Re: Using Organic Fruits and Vegetables.

Of course. It is always and highly advisable to gut-load your feeders with fruits and veggies. Your pets also take in what their feeder does. Avoid feeding lettuce and cabbages to feeders as they only contain water and as such, has no bearable nutritional value for your pet.

Also avoid feeding your feeders with fruits and veggies belonging to lethal plant families like tomatoes, potatoes, rhubarbs, eggplants and those referred to as no, nos to every animal (i.e. garlic, onion, leeks, chili peppers, grapes)

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    Of course. It is always and highly advisable to gut-load your feeders with fruits and veggies. Your pets also take in what their feeder does. Avoid feeding lettuce and cabbages to feeders as they only contain water and as such, has no bearable nutritional value for your pet.

Also avoid feeding your feeders with fruits and veggies belonging to lethal plant families like tomatoes, potatoes, rhubarbs, eggplants and those referred to as no, nos to every animal (i.e. garlic, onion, leeks, chili peppers, grapes)
    This is a good post. However Romaine lettuce and cabbage are extremly high in nutrients. They are both considered super foods. Infact (I know I say this every time the conversation pops up) romain lettuce has more calcium than milk. Iceburg lettuce is the only lettuce I would recommend not feeding if any out of the lettuce group.
    Your list of "do not feed" is right on the money. To include animal products such as meats, milk products, egg products, dog food, cat food and fish flakes.

All vegetables must be washed regardless if they are organic or not. Of course organic is always the better choice, even organic can have pesticides on them.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The article on how to raise Horned Frog found else where on this forum mentions gut loading crickets with carrots and potatos. What do you say about that?

Nationality
    [United States]

Guess the original poster intended to compare organic to non-organic vegetables as feeder food. Think that as long as you wash them well; either would be OK.

Today's human food quality is questionable and the label "Organic" can be mishandled too. Veggies can be exposed to fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides or other chemicals that prevent ripening while in transit or stores. It's a miracle we have not poisoned ourselves to extermination already !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by AKFROG View Post
    The article on how to raise Horned Frog found else where on this forum mentions gut loading crickets with carrots and potatos. What do you say about that?
    russet potatoes killed hundreds of my roaches i thought it was pesticides. did some research and found that they become poisonous when kept in the sun. Probably wont effect a human but can kill your feeders. Sweet potatoes are ok.

Tongue Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    This is a good post. However Romaine lettuce and cabbage are extremly high in nutrients. They are both considered super foods. Infact (I know I say this every time the conversation pops up) romain lettuce has more calcium than milk. Iceburg lettuce is the only lettuce I would recommend not feeding if any out of the lettuce group.
    Your list of "do not feed" is right on the money. To include animal products such as meats, milk products, egg products, dog food, cat food and fish flakes.

All vegetables must be washed regardless if they are organic or not. Of course organic is always the better choice, even organic can have pesticides on them.
    Lettuces and cabbages are mostly water where i'm at and that's why nobody feeds those here. They also sog quickly causing foul odors in mealie/superworm containers due to our naturally high temp and humidity. Forgot to take into consideration the varying degrees of nutritional levels and safety concerns of most plants when it comes to what country and what type of soil it is planted as some crops grow better and healthier in some countries

Nationality
    [United States]

My rule is to feed my feeder insects like I would feed myself. I eat organic when I can so my insects get organic, they will eat scraps I would typically not eat. If one cannot get pesticide and chemical free produce one can look at a list of clean produce that is not organic and buy from that list. 85-90% of ones produce can be not organic and they can still avoid the lionshare of toxins. Certain produce the 5-10% should always be organic or not eaten.

My reptiles, amphibians and pets are important so their health is as important as mine.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Thread Information