Thread: Outdoor Keeping

Default Outdoor Keeping

Hi guys,

So, I might have to move out my frogs outside and I was wondering, does anyone keep their pacmans outdoors? What sort of enclosure (glass, tub, mesh) do you use if you do? I was thinking maybe a low plastic tub with a mostly mesh lid for my frogs or one of those larger plastic Exo-Terra Faunariums.

I live in Malaysia, so it's tropical all year round with an average temperature of 27 degrees celsius (roughly 80F) and humidity is a constant 60%. They'll be in a shaded porch too. Any advice on this?

Would appreciate your input. Many thanks in advance.
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Outdoor Keeping

When you live in a tropical climate it's possible to keep frogs that match that environment outside. Do make sure the temperature and humidity levels meet the particular frog requirement if importing frogs from other areas. As long as the enclosure measurements match the frogs lifestyle (lower for ground or taller for arboreal); the material is a matter of choice.

Think plastic tubs would be fine, since that's the way many breeders keep them in special racks that hold the plastic bins. You can also see how Leonel keeps and breeds his tree frogs in here: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...alcarifer.html. A tropical environment opens a door to many outdoor keeping possibilities and lower costs due to no heating requirements .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    When you live in a tropical climate it's possible to keep frogs that match that environment outside. Do make sure the temperature and humidity levels meet the particular frog requirement if importing frogs from other areas. As long as the enclosure measurements match the frogs lifestyle (lower for ground or taller for arboreal); the material is a matter of choice.

Think plastic tubs would be fine, since that's the way many breeders keep them in special racks that hold the plastic bins. You can also see how Leonel keeps and breeds his tree frogs in here: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...alcarifer.html. A tropical environment opens a door to many outdoor keeping possibilities and lower costs due to no heating requirements .
    Thanks for the input! Leonel's setup is quite the inspiration! As far as I know, most of the temps and humidity requirements for Pacs are met in the Malaysian environment, although I do have some concern with the occasional temp spike during the 'dry'/hot season in the year (March/April). I know glass is definitely out seeing as it can fry most herps (personal experience as a child, left a Calotes Versicolor outside in a glass tank, poor bugger died due to my complete lack of knowledge at age 7). Probably keep them in a modified plastic drawer setup to facilitate maintenance. I do know that White Lipped Tree Frogs and Dumpies can thrive in an outdoor cage in Malaysia; have a mate that successful bred them outdoors here. Hopefully my Pacs will do the same!
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

Nationality
    [United States]

Just make sure you get something that actually has a clip latch or something on it... My main worry would be a dog or something coming by and trying to get in. With something that clips closed (maybe a rubber tub with holes drilled in the top for ventilation) nothing could get the top off, and even if it got tipped over or something, you wouldn't have to worry about the top coming off or the container breaking.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Just make sure you get something that actually has a clip latch or something on it... My main worry would be a dog or something coming by and trying to get in. With something that clips closed (maybe a rubber tub with holes drilled in the top for ventilation) nothing could get the top off, and even if it got tipped over or something, you wouldn't have to worry about the top coming off or the container breaking.
    Yup! Hence the modified drawer setup! Plan on getting some latches on the side so I can padlock them and secure against intruders!

Thread Information