Thread: My White's Dumpy TreeFrog's Toe is Missing!

Default My White's Dumpy TreeFrog's Toe is Missing!

Today I took my White's Dumpy TreeFrog out of her enclosure to feed her, when I noticed that her middle toe on her back left foot was missing. I've been at college for the last two weeks and she had her toe before I left, my mom's been taking care of her for me. I'm not sure exactly how this happened, but I plan I calling a vet in the morning. I think I might see bone and the skin around the area is a bit darker in color than the rest of her skin. She hasn't been acting different, we found a couple of poops the other day, she gobbled down 3 crickets, was hopping all over my hands, and wandered around her enclosure before settling behind the mister, which is her favorite spot. Here's some info about the enclosure and such,

1) Enclosure is 12X12X18
    2) Substrate is paper towels.
    3) There's two water dishes, a deep one and a shallow one.
    4) There's a mister that is suction cupped to the wall, it goes off every 1-3 hours.
    5) The enclosure is hand misted in the morning, after she is fed and before bed.
    6) She is fed every 2 days and is offered 3 crickets.
    7) I've had her for about a year and three quaters, nothing like this has happened before.
    8) Temp is in the 75-80 degree f range.
    9) She has three lights, a day, a night, and a UV light.

I'll try to take some picture in the morning, but she doesn't like to sit still and I don't have my best camera with me. Any advise on what I should do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My White's Dumpy TreeFrog's Toe is Missing!

A trip to a Herp vet is a good idea. In the meantime, you can apply a plain (no painkiller version) antibiotic like Neosporin, Bactrin, or Silver based gel daily with a Q-Tip. Also, would look over it's enclosure to insure there are no sharp items in there or areas where frog could hurt itself.

Please read this excellent care article: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea. As you can read in it; need to provide frog with a basking area that reaches 85F during day. Enclosure temp can drop to 75F at night. When full grown your frog will require a larger enclosure, around 18x18x24 in. is minimum I would recommend. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

sounds like the toe was caught in the door hinge? Act now and take or send pics to a vet for meds to prevent major systemic infection.
    Good luck.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Also forgot to state that until injury heals; it's recommended to move frog to a hospital like enclosure with damp unprinted paper towels as substrate. Add a water dish, some fake silk plants and cover the sides with paper to reduce stress .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Update: I've scheduled a visit with the vet for tomorrow morning. Shahar is still doing well, she gobbled down three crickets and was climbing all over my hands. I found that the fake vines that were in her tank snapped in half, though I'm not sure if that's what caused her toe to come off. Either way I removed it. I'd post some pictures, but I don't have access to a decent camera, not that Shahar would sit still for pictures anyway. Also, I made an error on the enclosure size, it is 18X18X24.

Thread Information