Thread: She won't eat after 4 weeks after torpor

Jump Around

Default She won't eat after 4 weeks after torpor

I left my frog with a friend for 2 months while I was out of the area. They allowed her to slip into torpor about one month in. I advised them to leave her as is. Revived her once I returned. She ate on large night crawler. I tried to feed her a small hopper since it had been so long since she had eaten. She refused (though she is big enough) I removed the hopper and have offered night crawlers, crickets. She looks good and is active (for a pacman) Should I be concerned or just accepted it as winter eating pattern?

1. Size of enclosure 5 gallon (too big)
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences (1 pacman)
    3. Humidity (keep it covered)
    4. Temperature (cold in the house but heat lamp on 24/7)
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish (has never used soaking dish. I keep the soil moist with daily misting)
    6. Materials used for substrate (coconut fiber)
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. (live plant plants, river rocks soaked in vinegar 24 hours and then in water another 24 allowed to dry a week)
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source (Used to be night crawlers, crickets, guppies and a pinky mouse once every 3 months or so)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) (both, once a week on one night crawler)
    10. Lighting (red UV heat bulb)
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure (see above)
    12. When is the last time he/she ate (one worm after torpor usually eats 3 or 4 prior to Torpor)
    13. Have you found poop lately(none)
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog (I have had her a year)
    16. How long have you owned him/her (see above)
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred (purchased from petsmart
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled (pick her up with wet hands when I have to clean the entire enclosure which is maybe once a month)
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area (low)
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) (typically spot clean any poop other than that not much to do)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: She won't eat after 4 weeks after torpor

Concerned about actual temperature and humidity in enclosure since frog apparently went into aestivation and without monitoring, it could be fatal. You need to get gauges (digital are better). Also, aestivating a young frog in it's first year is not recommended at all. Some frogs do slow down metabolism in Winter; but going into full aestivation is a different thing. Made some recommendations below and hope this helps out .

Quote Originally Posted by Jump Around View Post
    1. Size of enclosure 5 gallon (too big)
    What is frog length from snout to vent (SVL)?

3. Humidity (keep it covered)
    ???
    4. Temperature (cold in the house but heat lamp on 24/7)
    ???
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish (has never used soaking dish. I keep the soil moist with daily misting)
    There are many water types and some are bad for frogs? What are you using and how are you treating it?

8. Main food source (Used to be night crawlers, crickets, guppies and a pinky mouse once every 3 months or so)
    Unless you are raising the guppies and they are parasite free; that is a bad idea.

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) (both, once a week on one night crawler)
    Can't mix CA/D3 with vitamins; the latter will interfere with CA absorption. More on dusting in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html....
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: She won't eat after 4 weeks after torpor

You need to answer the questions accurately and with exact specifications in order for us to assist you.

Thread Information