Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CameronNew

Default Trouble in the Frog Enclosure

1.Size of the tank is approx. 15 x 15
    2 He is a leopard frog. He is the only one in the tank
    3.don't know humidity
    4. Temperatre in the tank is about 65-69
    5. Half water and half land. Pump creating water flow that runs on the back wall. Keeping the water moving ad not stagnet.
    6. Used to have small round rocks but the lady at the pet store told me to change it to larger turtle rocks o I did this last night. I was concerned hewould accidently ingest one of the rocks and not a cricket.
    7.Fake plant in the tank along with one of those fake bending climbing things but he is not a climbing frog. No other materials.
    8.Crickets. I was not dusting them with Calcium so I am wondering if this is the issue.
    9. Just purchased calcium and vitamin powder.
    10. No lighting
    11. His tank is in our kitchen so it is the same temp as house.
    12. He ate about a week ago besides the force feeding of vitamins yesterday and today.
    13. I have not found poop lately but its hard to tell with the rocks
    14. I will load a pic
    15. Went from tadpole to frog in July so he is 5 months old.
    16. Got him in July
    17. Guess he is wild
    18. Crckets, mealworms
    19. Never handle unless to clean tank
    20. High traffic area
    21. I clean it out completely one every 2-3 weeks

The issue is he is not able to eat. He wants to. He was trying to catch mealworms today and his tongue as not working. It was like he could not get it out. He is also sitting with his mouth open slightly. I was thinking o mashing up a cricket w/ calcium and water and syringe feeding him. Want to know if this is due to me not giving him calcium dusted crickets for the last 5 months? Has this happened to anyone else? What do you suggest. Don't want him to die. I love frogs but don't know much about them. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Trouble in the Frog Enclosure

Please try Pedialyte bath recommended on your original thread. Lack of tongue stickiness can be caused by lack of vitamin A. Still; want to know more about your enclosure water. Could you tell us more about the water source and any treatment done to it? Also, does pump has a filter or any water changes are done between full cleanings? When doing a "full clean" do you clean the pebbles in tap water? By the way; any pebbles small enough to fit in frog's mouth are an impaction hazard. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Trouble in the Frog Enclosure

Get some Repashy Plus Calcium vitamin supplement. Use it 2x/week on his food, in addition to the calcium/D.

Yes, you can try to syringe feed him. It would be easier to use Reptaboost. You can get insulin syringes without needles at your local pharmacy. Just explain to them what you need them for. Some will charge you. Mine does not.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

CameronNew

I did the Pedialyte bath today and he was swimming around in it (probably in a panic) but I placed him back in his tank and waited a few hours. Then placed a dusted cricket in the tank... and he ate it! So I am so happy he was able to eat! What exactly does Pedialyte bath do? Since he s most likely deficient in vitamins and calcium, do you recommend that I alternate Calcium and vitamins on the crickets? I have RepCal calcium and multivitamin.

Someone asked about his water and I use declorination in it every time. Thanks for all your advise and help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Pedialyte helps replace lost electrolytes and perks up the frog. You can use these schedules for dusting: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Just remember not to use both in the same feeding .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information