Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 120g Vivarium Build (pix)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default 120g Vivarium Build (pix)

Warning: I have not done anything on this scale before! Help me prevent making mistakes please!

So awhile back the seams let go in our 120g fish aquarium. It sat for a bit before we got around to cleaning it and resiliconing it. It is in the water testing stage right now. Would hate to find out it doesn't hold water when everything is done! We decided to try our hand at something new. I have always wanted to try my hands at some more exotic frogs and have finally gotten my husband to agree! The exact stock is not planned yet. We will be taking a long time to build it as we are on a limited income and need to pick up a lot. The stock will be chosen at another time. But if you bear with me, I will keep a photo journal along the way.

This is the tank in its stages so far, as well as the proposed plans. I would love any feedback, advice, or just comments. I don't have any brands in mind for equipment, and I'm not sure what is available locally to me (Windsor, ON, and no credit card for online purchases). And of course, I didn't draw in the massive amount of plants I want. The back wall will be great stuff and coco fiber, the stream will be siliconed with small aquarium gravel in a neutral colour, the pond will be sand.

What are your thoughts? I plan to start with the egg crate base first, then rough in the wood and rocks. The shelf will be resting on the top of the cave. Am I headed in the right direction so far?

Oh, I forgot to mention... My husband is ambitious. He will be building a custom made lid for this enclosure.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Flying Dutchman

Default Re: 120g Vivarium Build (pix)

I like your plan, lot's of room to "play" for the frogs, and some water. With lot's of plants in the background many species will feel at home in this tank!

Personally I wouldn't make such a big ledge, I would use some big branches to make a more natural ledge. But that's just my personal taste.
    Instead of rocks you could use styrofoam to create fake rocks (less weight on the glass). I like the idea of the river. Are you using pvc for easy cleaning?
    You have thought carefully about placing a fan, and other devices such as lights and the fogger. I don't think there are any mistakes in your plan.

Keep us posted during the build of this tank, lot's of people like to read this type of threads (including me!)

Have fun building this tank!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks for your response! The ledge size is not set in stone, and yes we are using pvc. As for the rocks, I hate using fake things and already have rocks in my possession to use. These rocks were in the tank when it was used as an aquarium for my large new world cichlids and never posed a problem. And for sure I won't be using nearly as many as I did then!

I will definitely keep everyone updated with the progress we make, although it will be slow. Slow and careful is the plan!

Flying Dutchman

I know what you mean by using fake things. I was a bit worried about the weight of the rock, but as you already stated, they were in there before.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I just want to create something as natural as possible. And to me, that means using the real thing, lol. There won't be as many rocks as there used to be, and that glass is pretty thick! The tank is water testing right now. We are on day 4 of that and haven't lost any water yet. We have the water level twice as high as is planned. Looking good so far!

Flying Dutchman

Quote Originally Posted by jocie1976 View Post
    I just want to create something as natural as possible. And to me, that means using the real thing, lol. There won't be as many rocks as there used to be, and that glass is pretty thick! The tank is water testing right now. We are on day 4 of that and haven't lost any water yet. We have the water level twice as high as is planned. Looking good so far!
    So far, so good!

Nationality
    [Canada]

So we managed to pick up some parts today. Rough fitted the waterfall just to test the flow. While it does work, we have both decided to get a stronger pump. He wants it to be more waterfall-y and I think I want to change the rocks a bit, lol. This way is almost just like a drip rock stack. But other than that, we are satisfied with the way it will work. (It is also set up backwards from the plans because the cord wasn't long enough and we haven't worked in a centralized power location yet.)

We still have to pick up some more pvc piping. The lighting will come at a later date. I think we are going to go with LED's... We still need to source the mister and possibly a fogger. And I'm not sure I am happy with the rocks we have to use. We'll have to see if I can find a configuration I like.

Nothing is hard set in the tank yet, everything was just dry (in water, lol) fitted. For the river and to catch at the bottom of the waterfall we will be using vinyl dryer venting (I love how flexible it is!) From the waterfall base the dryer venting will connect to a plastic tub that will be a bog and act as a natural biological filter. From there more venting will come out to create the waterfall. All of the venting and plastic tub will be covered in silicone and sand, with some rounded rocks thrown in as well. We will probably use some Great Stuff to create riffles in the river as it flows down to the pond.

I like the ideas as they are coming to me. Rough fits are satisfactory to me. If only you could see what's actually in my head, lol! BTW, the rock in the corner by the water pump is going to be in the corner of the pond with a tree on top of it (with branches and roots). Any comments so far?

Aldross

What pump is that you are using? I'm about to start my new project and that pic has the exact flow amount that is in my head. I need a small steady stream like that to fall down to a mid level pool that will house my small fogger.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Unfortunately, I don't have the box it came in anymore. But the pump itself it says "ExoTerra PT - 2090". I know it was the smallest one on the shelf. The measurement of the pump is only about 1.5" x 2". We have it running large airline tubing from one corner to the other, 4.5' over, 1.5' high. I'm sure the flow would be stronger with a shorter distance and height to travel.

Nationality
    [Canada]

So we managed to get a little bit of work done. Got the waterfall GS'd into place, attached the catch basin for the water, zip-tied the land portion together, drilled the pvc supports, placed the bog and runoff. Still need to GS the bog, and runoff. I will not GS the land portion until I find some weed block in the winter. Once that is done we will lay the tank on its back to start the back ground. Still need to acquire bark rounds for the corner tree that will be in the pond. Here's the pix:

Nationality
    [Canada]

More pix:

And since the latest pic there has been a land portion added between the bog/land/catch basin/overthrow area. There was a large opening that needed to be filled. The way I see it... that means I can fit more plants! lol

Nationality
    [Canada]

As for the pump we went with... It is a Top Fin Multi Stage Internal Filter 20. Let's kill two birds with one stone. I am friends with the owner of my local pet store and he was willing to let me return it if I didn't get the flow I wanted. Happily for both of us, this filter seems to do a great job! We have at least twice the flow as we did with the other pump. Plus this one will help with filtration. We modified the pump just a little though. It is a submersible pump that works in shallow water (turned on its side). It came with a bar that extended from the output. We removed the bar and added the long hose that runs to the top of the waterfall. I'll post a video of the flow when I have a little more done on the tank.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Looking great so far!! Can't wait to see how this build keeps coming together!

15. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Flying Dutchman

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Looking great so far!! Can't wait to see how this build keeps coming together!
    Me too!

17. This member thanks Flying Dutchman for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Got a little more done today...

First pic shows the progress from inside the tank.

Second pic shows the waterfall runoff, the bog and the bog runoff leading to the river. They have all been GS'd into place now (still wet).

The third pic shows how I supported the main part of the land section. All supports are vented at the bottom to allow water flow.

The fourth pic shows the GS holding the bog and small land section in place. They will not be removable, but there aren't any working parts in this area.

The fifth pic shows a full shot update. The main portion of the land will be the next area to go in. I will silicone the supports in place, then GS the edges.

Looks very cool. Interested to see how it turns out.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

20. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

This is the progress I have made so far.

Pic one shows the backside of a piece I was experimenting on. I did use it at the front of the tank under the land section... although I will probably be using contact paper on the front and sides of the tank. Pic two is the front side of the piece after GS.

Pic three shows it in the tank.

Pic four shows what the inside of the tank looks like from the right side.

Pic five shows the filter/pump that runs the waterfall. It will be hidden in the tree that will be in that corner, and totally accessible.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Loving this so far!

23. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Looks good. Question, what do you plan on covering. The stream with?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

25. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

The stream will be silicone with sand pressed into it while still wet, with probably some river stones thrown in to create ripples in the water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information