Thread: white lipped tree frog illness please help

shellybeans

Default white lipped tree frog illness please help

My Frog seemed fine but today I noticed different behaviour. Being a white lipped tree Frog she doesn't like to be picked up but I noticed she had stayed in the same place all day. When I picked her up she didn't jump away and sat there, her feet are slightly purple. I gave them fresh bottled water and food but came back up an hour or two later and found her curled up not moving. I know there is probably nothing I can do but my other frog is in the tank should I completely isolate him and get fresh bedding to line the tank? The other frog is a whites tree frog but not white lipped. Hope someone can help or tell me what they think the illness may have been. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: white lipped tree frog illness please help

Hi ,

Sorry about your sick frog.
    There IS something you can do.
    He need a herp vet asap!

You can help him. in the meantime ! He needs to be re-hydrated !
    purchase this product or its equal in the UK :

Therapeutic hydration for child dehydration - Pedialyte

instructions as to how to use it are here: (1:10 ---one part pedialyte : one part distilled water):
    -instruction for QT/hospital tank here:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

Both frogs need to be separated. Save any new poop you find. Both frogs need to be tested for common illness and parasites.
    testing information----
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...ing-frogs.html

Their current enclosure needs to be completely broken down and sterilized. Use a weak bleach and water solution. Rinse Rinse Rinse
    Then do a final rinse w/ de-chlorinator ! The hospital enclosure(s) need the same prep. I use small 2 - 1/2 gallon aquariums w/ lids for this.
    Maintain all the usual temp and humidity parameters in the hospital tanks . Maintaining the temp is extremely important !!!!

In the QT/hospital tanks:
    Use paper towel substrate /dampened with de-chlorinated water/ and a sterilized water dish / with de-chlorinated water only.
    Substrate should be changed minimum 3 times a week///water dish daily----be very careful NOT to mix up their water dishes!!!

Use NEW gloves in and out of each hospital enclosure.
    ( latex free/ powderless )

Keep their there tanks as if you were in a 'lab'

You can let him soak in the pedialyte solution for at least 1/2 hr -- 4 times a day. Use a shallow container with paper towels/a lid/ and air hole. ( 1-1/2" deep) Make the paper really soppy. You want to see the water, but be very careful not to make it too deep in case he can not lift his head. You want to be really careful handling him as their skin can tear easily when they are de-hydrated. If you are reluctant to handle him ---simply drizzle LOTS and LOTS of the pedi solution over his back. Do this very often until he gets to the vet.

What calcium and vit product have you been using for dusting their feeders?

When is the last time he ate? And what do they eat?

Best to you--keep us posted
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF ! Frog looks extremely skinny and Lynn comments are correct. Also; what kind of bottled water are you using? There are some that still need dechlorinator and others that should not be used with frogs at all.
    Last edited by Mentat; December 8th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

shellybeans

I'm so grateful for all the help I know what to do if it ever happens again Thank you. Unfortunately the event happened very late into Friday night and there was no way of me getting anywhere (I don't drive for starters). I did my best to hydrate him but he died about midnight I feel so guilty for not being able to do anything. I usually give them natural mineral water but if I need to get hold of a dechlorinator then I shall get one this week. Would it be best for me to buy some pedialyte for any future need just in case I expect the worst? I have sorted/cleaned tank and added new bedding the remaining frog seems pretty happy which is a good sign and is hunting and feeding. I also bought them from the website pre loved so it is uncertain of their actual age just hope there will be no illness in future.
    Again thank you for the help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for the frog's death . Myself recommend using tap water with a good dechlorinator like Seachem Prime. At least that way I know water is safe for frog. Bottled water could be anything and many are just filtered tap, some with extra chloramines. In the other side of spectrum you can have over filtered spring water that like R/O or distilled is bad for frogs. This article has more information on bottled water: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...hing-else.html.

A simple Frog First Aid Kit can be built using a few items: Pedialyte (or local equivalent); Honey (couple drops in a bath help out with constipation); a plain (no painkillers) topical antibiotic like Neosporin Original or Silver based type; some Q-tips; and finally a mild (Melafix) and stronger (Maracyn Plus) antibiotic if frog is aquatic, can go long ways to help until frog gets better or a visit to Veterinary is available. There are stronger meds some members keep; but their use need veterinary supervision and are $$$.

If you think about replacing frog, please read this first and follow it's advice: http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html and http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...ing-frogs.html. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information