Thread: Keeping the temp up

Yelena

Default Keeping the temp up

Hi everybody,
    I noticed that the temperature in my Pacman's enclosure is 72 now. She has a regular 10 gallons tank, with two heating pads attached to walls. Looks like this is not enough to keep my frog warm during the cold New England winter. She needs the right temp, since she is fragile and currently is treated by a vet for lack of appetite and possible digestion issues. What are idea to raise the temperature? I know the lamps and heat emitters dry amphibians' skin, so I have to figure out an alternative way keep her warm. Thanks everyone in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DesertHeat

Default Re: Keeping the temp up

Try loosely wrapping a towel or blanket around the tank. That will help direct the heat from the heating pads inward and reduce heat loss out into the room.

4. This member thanks DesertHeat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Yelena View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I noticed that the temperature in my Pacman's enclosure is 72 now. She has a regular 10 gallons tank, with two heating pads attached to walls. Looks like this is not enough to keep my frog warm during the cold New England winter. She needs the right temp, since she is fragile and currently is treated by a vet for lack of appetite and possible digestion issues. What are idea to raise the temperature? I know the lamps and heat emitters dry amphibians' skin, so I have to figure out an alternative way keep her warm. Thanks everyone in advance!
    You can use heat lights. Just don't go over 50 watts and use a lamp that has a dimmer switch to accurately adjust the heat level. Fluker's makes 5.5" and 8.5" clamp lamps with dimmer switch.

6. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have found that since my wife like to keep the house at 64-66F that the 50W ceramic heat emitter plus the medium heat pad
    on the side is not enough.
    I had to use 1/8in thick plexi glass cut to cover 90% of the EXO terra and use a small heat pad stuck to a 1/4 thick ceramic tile
    placed under the same side nearest the heat pad and heat emitter I did this so the heat pad is not in direct contact with the bottom glass
    witch we all know is a big No-NO. I made sure to place the sensor for the controller near that corner but not in the
    path of the ceramic heater so the temp doesn't get above 80F.

I put another temp probe above where the under tank heater is to make sure the temp doesn't get up above 80.
    and the controller is doing its job well.

I know that this is a bit much but it works well.

Try Griff's solution first and see how that goes.

8. This member thanks Louis Charles Bruckner for this post:

Bedore

Being in New England as well and due to my usually cooler room temperatures I added a ceramic heat emitter to mine. It easily reaches the desired temperature no problem. I also had issues with escaping humidity/heat so I closed off a portion of the top and while the heat emitter does tend to dry things out a bit, I usually mist once or twice a day and that keeps humidity easily in the 70-80% range. In the summer the air is pretty humid so I have to spray less, but with forced hot air it really dries the air out so I end up misting more but thats ok.

Thread Information