Thread: Pests gnats fruitflysa halp

Default Pests gnats fruitflysa halp

Yo yo yo, recently after moving back home I had to set up again for my two pacmans, and instead of using the two 12qt tubs ive kept them in, i decided to just get them both set in one 10gallon tank; before you say they are cannibilisic. I've made note on each of their personalities, hence i was able to keep them separated (HOPEFULLY). Now back to the problem, since doing this ive noticed a f*** ton of gnats just flying around my room. It's annoying af. Anyone ever heard of this or it happened to them before? A remedy? & yes i know I should have electronic temp/humidity gauges, but i'm cheap lawl. Name:  IMG423.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  115.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DesertHeat

I'm sure you know your frogs... But I suspect some injuries, potentially serious, in their future if you keep them housed that way.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

mpmackenna

Default Pests gnats fruitflysa halp

Yep I have heard of people getting them. I hear they are hard to get rid of. I would try getting rid of all the substrate and wiping stuff with a diluted vinegar solution. Search the forums others have posted on gnat issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. This member thanks mpmackenna for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pests gnats fruitflysa halp

Dude... I have no idea how many times do we have to say to not keep pacman frogs together. no idea how many times will we need to say that. Can you imagine how many dangers are there in keeping like that other then plain cannibalism. I'm getting mad now....

Oh and if you keep your frogs clean gnats wont be there. Clean and disinfect your tank completely with full substrate changes every 4 weeks and change water every day.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwag View Post
    Yo yo yo, recently after moving back home I had to set up again for my two pacmans, and instead of using the two 12qt tubs ive kept them in, i decided to just get them both set in one 10gallon tank; before you say they are cannibilisic. I've made note on each of their personalities, hence i was able to keep them separated (HOPEFULLY).

Let me guess... They both just seem to sit buried in their substrate all day, so you think their personalities are compatible and they won't try to eat one another?

Look, you need to separate them. It seems like you've actually read about people saying you can't house these frogs together, and decided that you know enough to ignore information from people with far more experience than you. If that's the case, why are you asking how to get rid of fruit flies? Like Lija said, the solution is cleaning the tank.

I'm actually starting to get ticked off too. Do you really expect helpful advice? You just said in your post that you KNOW you should house them separately, and you KNOW you should have a laser hygrometer/thermometer, but you decide not to because you've "assessed" your frogs' personalities (aka: you don't want to deal with two cages) and you're "cheap" <-- Quoted from your original post. Your words, not mine.
    Why should we give you advice? You clearly know more than all us people who would tell you they cannibalize, or that they need properly monitored temp and humidity.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]

Everyone needs to calm down.

I am in agreence with everyone though Poliwog. Believe me you should never house them together. These frogs are solitary creatures and have a bad habit of eating anything that fits in their mouths including their own kind. Many have laid back personalities that appear docile, but it only takes a second for an accident to happen and one or both frogs end up injured or worse dead. They do not live together and only gather when necessary to breed. After that they all go their separate ways again.

Try and follow the advice given. It could have been stated without an attitude, but I understand their frustration. They and I have stated this many many times and by many I mean thousands of times. You cannot house them together safely.

Gnats are a pain and do show up even whan you've just cleaned the substrate, but doing a full tear down and disinfecting everything will help reduce their numbers substantially. Do a full cleaning and get another 10 gallon to get these two separated. Housing two together will also mean that you would have to clean that tank every two weeks rather than once per month. Two Pacmans produce a lot of waste.

Get it done.

Best Regards
    Jerrod

9. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Angry Re: Pests gnats fruitflysa halp

1: they're my frogs; I keep them how I please and see fit, I know all the risks that come with my decisions.2: let's stay on topic, I've set up the tank with fresh substrate and cleaned supplies , so I still don't see how they are forming.Actual helpful replies about how to fix this problems would be better than knowing how to keep my frogs safe ._.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwag View Post
    1: they're my frogs; I keep them how I please and see fit, I know all the risks that come with my decisions.2: let's stay on topic, I've set up the tank with fresh substrate and cleaned supplies , so I still don't see how they are forming.Actual helpful replies about how to fix this problems would be better than knowing how to keep my frogs safe ._.
    Watch the attitude. I replied so that it wouldn't get out of hand. If I have to I will lock the thread. Simple as that.

DesertHeat

I've made my comments on the frogs being together so I'm not going to go any farther with it.

That being said, you may have gotten a batch of eco earth (assuming that's what you're using) that was contaminated with gnat eggs...which can last a long time dry in soil. Get a new batch, do a full clean and substrate change on your tank, and put up some fly paper near by to catch any lingering adults. That should hopefully solve that problem.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

13. This member thanks DesertHeat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

You know, fruit flies eat organic matter. Adults are going to stick around a week or so until they die, regardless of how clean you get things. If you're seeing new ones, clean again because there's still decaying organic matter for them to eat. It may not just be in the frog tank; clean out trashcans, hang a non-pesticide flystrip if you want to.

You've already heard pretty much every possible solution for fruit flies. I'm not sure what you're expecting, but there really aren't very many different ways to get rid of them....

Also, I might chill with all the talk about knowing you're putting animals in a dangerous situation and taking photos of it if I were you... That's just not a great idea.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

15. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Cheers for the help.

I'll check out all my food supplies then, didn't think about that.

Thread Information