Thread: Stowaway Cuban Tree Frog

Fwissy

Default Stowaway Cuban Tree Frog

My husband came home last night with what I'm thinking is a Cuban Tree Frog that was a stowaway in a fedex package from Miami. It is just under 2 inches long, so young. We got it a terrarium, a dish, hiding log, fake leaves, heating element, and crickets. I know they are nocturnal, but do they shut their eyes all the way when they sleep? I put crickets in yesterday evening. How do I know if the frog ate them or if they are hiding? Do the crickets sometimes burrow in the mulchey stuff you put on the bottom of the tank? I'm hoping that the poor thing is not too traumatized and will survive. Just looking for signs that he/she is ok. Any tips would be very appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Stowaway Cuban Tree Frog

Hello and welcome to FF! What kind of heating element are you using? Nocturnal frogs usually need darkness to become active at night; you can observe with a red light if desired.

Crickets should be sized same as distance between frog's eyes and gut-loaded with carrots, lettuce and cereals like cherios 24-48 hours before feeding. You can get a small glass bowl around 2 in. in height and place crickets there; they won't escape and helps monitoring what frog eats. CA/D3 and vitimines dustings are required; can use one of these schedules to get you started: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Frog needs a daily cleaned water dish with dechlorinated tap water filled to frogs chin level. Also, tree frogs benefit from a taller enclosure than a flat broader one. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Carlos has you covered , but if you have a deep enough substate bury the bowl until it is flush with the surface of the substate, that way the frog
    doesn't try to eat the crickets though the glass.

Fwissy

Thanks for the info! The heating element we have is one that sticks on the outside of the glass tank. I have been able to observe him eating now a couple times. I put some branches in for him (if it is a him) to climb on thinking he would hang out on them but so far he has been sleeping during the day on top of the substrate. This morning, I can't find the frog anywhere in his aquarium. I'm guessing that it is buried under the substrate? Is that normal? There really is no way the frog got out. The screened top has clips to secure it. We have been giving crickets for food. Will go get some of the supplements today.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Most frogs will burrow if the temp or humidity is not to their liking or if feels insecure.

A half round log hide or even a small terra-cotta pot turned on its side can work wonders.
    also cover the sides with some kind of background that will also help with a skittish frog.
    and lessen stress.

I have also made a shelf made from a small turtle dock
    I got some plastic coated neodymium magnets and made mine magnetic for ease of cleaning and flexibility
    in where to place it in the enclosure.

I have even cut a hole in one for a small candy dish that is opaque. I use it to feed crickets and roaches to
    my tree frogs.

I am putting together a how to on how I made them.
    I will post it soon.

Thread Information