Well, looks like I'll be getting some FBT's in the near future and as such I need to setup my 20 gallon tank for them. Unfortunately I have no experience making something for a semi-aquatic herp, I figure I'll have 4-6 inches of water for sure but I don't know how I'll go about the land, I do have a few ideas.

• I could do a 1/3 ratio of land to water by using a dividing wall and using some sort of substrate.

(While the idea above seems good, I feel like I'm using too much space just for dirt.)

• I could forgo having any dividing wall and just build land with foam and grout that would be put slightly above the water with a lower ledge dipping into the water 1/2"-1" for easy access back to land.

(I like this idea a little better, I'm just unsure if it's okay for FBT's to be on grout?)

Those are the best ideas I've got, the second one leaves a lot of room for creativity. Either way I do plan on having a few aquatic plants in the tank and maybe I could cover the grout with a type of moss?

Enclosure ideas aside, I could use some help figuring out all of what I'll need to get it up and running.

• I know I'll need a filter for the water, anyone got some good recommendations?
  • I'll need tube for routing water, the care sheet on here states that they dislike strong flowing water, perhaps I'll build in a channel on top of a cave ect. for it to run back into the pond.
  • Something to treat the water.
  • Gravel or some other stone for the bottom of the tank. (Lava rock?)
  • Egg crates to support the foam.
  • Foam (Home Depot sells large 4'-8' insulation foam would that be safe?)
  • Grout and some sort of sealant. (Water based polyurethane?)

If I missed anything important please let me know. I'll try making some sort of layout in Photoshop when I have time, thank you!