Thread: red eyed tree frog slimy poop

WabbaJack

Unhappy red eyed tree frog slimy poop

Hey everyone. I posted a thread on here a while back about my retf. I'm posting again because he has finally pooped and it's slimy or goopy. I've looked all over the forum and found nothing like what his poop looks like.
    Some background
    I got him on oct 23
    He hasn't eaten since!
    He is captive bred
    Temp is 80s during day and 70 to mid 70s at night
    humidity is 65 to 75 throughout the day I have an automatic mister.
    I only put small crickets in a clear glass feeding bowl. Dusted with a supplement.
    He just hasn't taken to eating them. But he doesnt look small or bony. He still wakes up at night and walks around. I'm at work right now but I saved some of his goop poop in a ziploc baggy.
    Thanks everyone. I'm real concerned.

I bought another retf last night but he is in his own small exo terra quarantine tank until I know my other frog is healthy !
    There are only 2 vets in my city who specialize in exotic animals. I contacted them both but they aren't available til monday

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: red eyed tree frog slimy poop

Sorry missed this thread and your frog not being well . If your frog has still not eaten and poop is runny, recommend a veterinary visit. Also be careful you do not share anything between this frog and the new one and wash hands well before handling anything in enclosures like feeding or water bowls.

Answering the below questions might help you organize thoughts and provide better information to veterinary about frog. Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

WabbaJack

Hello. I took Kiwi to the vet with a fresh poop sample. Apparently he has protozoa in his poop! I have to force feed him some metronidozole for the next 5 days Poor little guy. Other than the protozoa he seems healthy and the vet said she hopes it clears up. The new frog (Gingersnap) has not been in contact with Kiwi (the sick frog). Kiwi was very bloated last week but I soaked him in a luke warm 1:10 unflavoured pedialyte bath and he peed almost instantly. It was pretty funny :P And the bloatedness went away almost instantly, so luckily it isn't edema. He never sits on the floor of his vivarium, and generally soaks in his water dish at night.
    Questions and Answers:

1. Size of enclosure - Not sure of the dimensions, but it is the largest Exo Terra terrarium out there.
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - Just Kiwi, other frog has been in a smaller Exo Terra quarantine tank since day 1.
    3. Humidity- 65-75%
    4. Temperature - Around 82 F during the day, and 73ish F at night.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - Misting = Distilled water - - - Soaking Dish = De-chlorinated tap water with SeaChem Prime
    6. Materials used for substrate - Coco Fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - One large pothos plant (real), A plastic fern, A glass mounted climbing branch, Exo Terra Climbing Vines.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. - I had the viv set up for about 3 weeks before attaining Kiwi.
    8. Main food source - Crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - Calcium + D3 supplement dusted every other feeding.
    10. Lighting - One UVB bulb and one natural light bulb and a heat lamp.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - Heat lamp
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - I had to force feed Kiwi at the vet yesterday (Nov 6, 2013).
    13. Have you found poop lately - Yes, the slimy poop in question.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog - Not sure
    16. How long have you owned him/her - A little over a monther.
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - Captive Bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats- Only food stuffs I can find here are crickets. I am not sure what else I can feed them. I hear certain worms have too much chitin.
    19. How often the frog is handled - Very rarely until recently being as I have to force feed him medicine/food.
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - Low traffic.
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - Every month I will be cleaning out the entire viv. Other than that every week I do a wipedown of the walls and his favourite spots to sleep. Wipedown the plants and his water dishes as well as the feeding dish I clean every night.
    Name:  Kiwi 3.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  66.0 KBName:  Kiwi2.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  91.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Good you took frog to vet and got meds . Please keep us updated on it's health. Did veterinary recommended another fecal at end of treatment?

Now you have to deal with the contamination in that enclosure. Myself would move sick frog to hospital like conditions (damp unprinted paper towels for substrate, water dish, and sterile silk plant for decor with 3 sides covered). Then, throw away the substrate, use live plant somewhere on house or dispose of it, and sterilize all decor (either bake or boiling). Once enclosure is empty, can wipe with Zoo Med Wipe Out and let dry before using again once frogs are healed.

Also, recommend do one fecal on new frog soon in case it needs meds and one right before placing both together in new set-up to ensure both have a clean bill of health. Good luck!

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

WabbaJack

Yeah I am waiting for my wipeout 1 to come in the mail. For some reason I can't buy it here. Nowhere to be found. I tried 4 pet stores. . My other little guy is still adjusting. He has only pooped once or twice so far. I haven't had him that long. But kiwi (the sick guy) is way more active than before. I gave him his second dosage of the metronidazole last night. He needs 3 more. But man is it a pain in the butt to get his mouth open!! He's such a little bugger! He did it for the vets almost instantly. So wish me luck tonight!

Also, I will be going back at the end of his dosages for a fecal test.
    And the moment the new frog poops I will be heading to the vet again as well.
    Last edited by WabbaJack; December 8th, 2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer a question.

8. This member thanks WabbaJack for this post:

WabbaJack

Update:
    Kiwi is on his 4th dosage out of 5. He ate on his own for the first time and I couldn't be happier. He is waking up 20 mins after lights out now rather than 3 hours. I cleaned out his viv last night. Put in fresh substrate. Took out all the decor and water dishes and boiled them. I also threw out the old pothos plant and bought 2 more new ones which I washed and took out of the pots to get all the fertilizer off. They aren't in the viv at the moment. I'm letting them grow outside the viv for a few days in Eco safe plantation soil to make sure all the harmful chemicals are gone. And before putting them in the viv I will wash them again.

My my other little guy Gingersnap (in his own tank) seems very healthy and is up and active all night. He makes many calls during the night. Although he still hasn't eaten for a few days. He has pooped however and it looks nothing like what kiwis did (no slime in gingersnaps poop at all). But I will still take a fresh sample to the vet when I find one.
    Thanks for the concerns and help everyone. I'll keep you guys updated!

Nationality
    [United States]

This is very good news! When dealing with internal parasites, a timely visit to veterinary is crucial .

Nationality
    [United States]

Default red eyed tree frog slimy poop

Great job, WabbaJack! Quick intervention is best. It sounds as if he's feeling better . Good to hear!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

12. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

WabbaJack

Well last dose was yesterday at 5 pm. He has not pooped yet so I have nothing to take in for the vet as of yet. Hopefully he will tonight.
    Another question I have is that he seems to retain a lot of water. He soaks in his dish but doesn't pee it seems? He looks bloated. When I put him in a luke warm pedialyte soak the other week he peed so much and then was back to normal size.
    Is this normal for frogs? My other little guy seems to soak at night often, and pees and goes back to (what I think is) a normal size.
    Is not peeing hurting Kiwi?

WabbaJack

I swear this frog keeps scaring the poop out of me. Anyone know what this is? It just recently showed up! UGH!
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  50.9 KB

WabbaJack

Never mind. I think it's going away. I think from handling him to force feed the medicine I had bruised his leg. He's still eating proper, like a little fatty actually. Wakes up 20-30 mins after lights out (8PM) and soaks in his water dish, eats, and poops normal. Thanks for the concern and help everyone.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi,
    Yes, this does appear to be healing , slightly abraded skin.
    Their skin turns black/dark ...then will slowly disappear.
    Your vet should be able to give you SSD to keep on hand for this or similar ..........if it should occur again.

If the area should look like it is getting 'deeper' or weepy it will need this topical anti viral/antibiotic quickly!
    Keeping these things on hand is important so there is no waiting period to begin a treatment for an accidental abrasion or break in their fragile skin.

medication information from a US herp vet : http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

SSD - "Silversulfadiazene is a topical antibiotic and anti-fungal that promotes healing while discouraging scarring. It should be used on ALL skin lesions "

When handling a red eyed tree frog use latex free/power free/ dampened gloves.
    Wrap your frog in dampened paper towels when force feeding. This will help you hold on better and reduce scratching the skin.
    It is very difficult NOT to scratch their skin after being force fed. It takes a lot of practice.

Tip:
    If I have to treat a tree frog a dusted/feeder medication ( such as one for parasites ) I wait-up for the frog to shed.
    When the frog open wide while shedding ................... I drop the feeder in ! Works great !

Note:
    ? most medications ( antibiotics / anti-virals/ anti-fungals ) are available to be used topically ( ie dropped on the frog's back ) so force feeding is not necessary as this adds additional stress at a time when they are already physiologically compromised.

Glad to hear he is eating an acting normally !

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

17. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

WabbaJack

I never even thought to do it while he was shedding. Although the problem with that was when he was sick, he was never waking up. And if he did, he wouldn't shed. He'd just sit there and look sad lol. Although if it ever happens again and he is awake and shedding I will definitely try that! Thanks so much. Let's just hope that this never happens again though . They both got a clean bill of health from the vet, and I cleaned out the viv again and put them together. They like to stare at each other a lot! much like that, haha.

Thread Information