Thread: C. cornuta questions...

ICEMAN

Default C. cornuta questions...

Hello all!
    I have been presented the opportunity to purchase CB pure cornutas. I may jump on this offer, but I have some questions... I have heard that cornutas are notorious for being picky eaters. Is this just WC specimens or all of them in general? With that, do they have any different dietary needs than an ornata or cranwelli? I have seen that their diet consists mainly of frogs, fish, and beetles. If I were to switch the diet to what I feed my cranwelli, (crickets, earthworms, hornworms, etc.) would that effect the health of the animal? Thanks for any info gang!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: C. cornuta questions...

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN View Post
    Hello all!
    I have been presented the opportunity to purchase CB pure cornutas. I may jump on this offer, but I have some questions... I have heard that cornutas are notorious for being picky eaters. Is this just WC specimens or all of them in general? With that, do they have any different dietary needs than an ornata or cranwelli? I have seen that their diet consists mainly of frogs, fish, and beetles. If I were to switch the diet to what I feed my cranwelli, (crickets, earthworms, hornworms, etc.) would that effect the health of the animal? Thanks for any info gang!
    No it will not change the animals health.

ICEMAN

Thanks for the reply! What about the diet though? Are they picky? What sets them apart from a cranwelli or an ornata? Is there ANYTHING different care wise about them than the other species?

reptileszz

Hi all, I cannot really answer the question but I thought I would share these range maps I found. I really thought there was a lot of overlap where they come from in South America. I decided to see exactly what we were talking about. Very interesting indeed. Cornuta is at IUCN Red List maps and Cranwelli at IUCN Red List maps. Didnt know if anyone else would be interested. Oh and Ornata at http://maps.iucnredlist.org/map.html?id=56340 explains why they need cooler temps.

Carole
    Last edited by reptileszz; December 1st, 2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Added map for ornate

6. This member thanks reptileszz for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Your best bet would be to start with CB or CBB Cornutas. That way you avoid getting a frog thats been through the captive and distribution stress; wild parasite infestations, and has been fed captive diets since a froglet .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

ICEMAN

Awesome thanks! So the care is the same? I just want to clarify before I go ahead with this purchase.

Hypnotic

Care is the same, the humidity can be a little higher for a cornuta, about 80-85ish%

CHiNO

CB cornuta, i would jump on that. i currently have a baby CB cornuta, he eats everything in site. he tong feeds, and he also hunts on his own. good luck and post pictures!

I've had a cornuta since baby size, they can be quite picky, so i'd suggest sticking to just one staple food for the most part; they can be VERY stubborn which I learned quick.

Lucky you :'-(

Thread Information