Thread: Felines, Frogs, and tank covers

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation Felines, Frogs, and tank covers

I have a very playful 5 month old kitten. However, she hasn't noticed my frogs for a very long time. I was thinking this pattern would continue, especially since the tank is now in a higher spot on the dresser. Yet some how, within the past 48 hours or so, she has found an interest in them.

I had tried to put some things that would get in her way, such as clothes, but she only perched on top of them. Temporarily I am going to try something similar, but with a more difficult object, such as books.

However, I wouldn't be too concerned if it weren't for the fact that my temporary "hood" is simple bridal mesh sewn together and duct taped to the side of the aquarium. This was working fine with preventing escapes, but I found her literally walking on the top of the aquarium! While I was impressed with my makeshift cover's strength, it was also quite nerve-wrecking to have to deal with.

Now I have been debating on what sort of hood to get. I have been suggested quite a few and they seem to have their pros and cons. The path I am currently heading down is getting a metal wire mesh sort of hood, break out the wire cutters, and modify it so my filter fits, then use the bridal mesh to cover any holes.

Another option I have been recommended is a full glass hood. I like the look and the appearance, but I am worried it will only trap in heat, which would be good if my radiator wasn't really a portal to Hades (it can get very hot).

And another option I had thought was to get a full plastic "canopy"(?) It's basically a flat surface that has a door hinge to open up your tank. I was thinking in that case it would be easy to drill some holes into the top to keep the ventilation good and my frogs safe.

So, as you can tell I'm rather indecisive about this!

What is the best way to feline-proof your aquarium?

I have heard everything from getting sticky tape, to squirt guns/negative reinforcement and positive reinforcement where she should be hanging out.

Also which lid is the most "cat safe?"
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Felines, Frogs, and tank covers

My ACF bit my cats tail, she no longer goes on top of the tank lol

I've just got a regular aquarium hood and keep the water level down a few inches from to top to prevent escapy
    Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

4. This member thanks MatthewM1 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post

I've just got a regular aquarium hood and keep the water level down a few inches from to top to prevent escapy
    Haha, if they were fully grown I'm sure that would give her quite the shock. The thing is she seems to be fascinated with all things involving water. As in she plays with her water dish, sleeps in the sink, tries drinking your things, etc. I have yet to bathe her, but I have a feeling this is a cat (or rather kitten) that does not fear water. D:
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]

Also do you find that the ventilation is good? As I said, my apartment (small studio, heats up quick) is hot so I kind of do want some evaporation to cool it down when I don't have a fan on it or the windows open.
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah ive got a big 5" or so female so it really scared her, she went flying off the tank and hissed at it.

I like to keep my apartment on the cooler side in the summer so I've never really worried to much about keeping her tank cool. But in your case something like the black mesh screens might help.

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah ive got a big 5" or so female so it really scared her, she went flying off the tank and hissed at it.

I like to keep my apartment on the cooler side in the summer so I've never really worried to much about keeping her tank cool. But in your case something like the black mesh screens might help.

Do you think those are good enough to modify for a HOB filter? I do want to go canister, but don't have the cash to spill out for the one I'm looking at.
    I figured some wire cutters and precise measurements would do the trick!
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]

Cats and tank covers. I've been there a few times with cats laying on top of them, one actually destroyed the mesh on my 20 Gallon Long lid.

I've found that my cats aren't willing to jump straight on top of the tank but rather on a ledge below the tank (the table it's on top of) and then climb up. So all I had to do was block off any protruding edges at the front of the table, I simply used foam padding, but you could using anything really even cardboard. This may not be suitable for you though, a solid top would be best. I understand you are worried about ventilation so what you could do is make small vents on the top panel and then use mesh to cover the vents.

10. This member thanks Hellsrage for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsrage View Post
    Cats and tank covers. I've been there a few times with cats laying on top of them, one actually destroyed the mesh on my 20 Gallon Long lid.

I've found that my cats aren't willing to jump straight on top of the tank but rather on a ledge below the tank (the table it's on top of) and then climb up. So all I had to do was block off any protruding edges at the front of the table, I simply used foam padding, but you could using anything really even cardboard. This may not be suitable for you though, a solid top would be best. I understand you are worried about ventilation so what you could do is make small vents on the top panel and then use mesh to cover the vents.
    Yes, I recently saw that home depot/lowes does glass cutting for fairly cheap. I may be able to just get some vents cut out for me instead of having to deal with that myself. Although I don't think a plastic top would be too bad either and *theoretically* should be able to handle drilling some holes in it.

I actually don't have a good hood suggestion: as in name/type/etc. I've done some online browsing, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get a sales associate to make sure your dimensions are right and it will have a snug fit.

Also the mesh wire does sound good for ventilation, but as mentioned, maybe my darling will think I got her this really cool scratching board that has frogs underneath. And I have heard of screens getting tugged off by a determined cat, then I have to worry about both my frogs and her falling in without getting out
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by elliotulysses View Post
    Yes, I recently saw that home depot/lowes does glass cutting for fairly cheap. I may be able to just get some vents cut out for me instead of having to deal with that myself. Although I don't think a plastic top would be too bad either and *theoretically* should be able to handle drilling some holes in it.

I actually don't have a good hood suggestion: as in name/type/etc. I've done some online browsing, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get a sales associate to make sure your dimensions are right and it will have a snug fit.

Also the mesh wire does sound good for ventilation, but as mentioned, maybe my darling will think I got her this really cool scratching board that has frogs underneath. And I have heard of screens getting tugged off by a determined cat, then I have to worry about both my frogs and her falling in without getting out

If you make the vent holes 2" round or somewhere around that, the most she is gonna do is stick her arm in. If you have a spray bottle, use it on her any time she jumps on the tank, it may take a while but she should get the idea. My kitten too use to sleep in the sink but I have yet to meet a dog or cat that likes being squirted by water, hell my sisters dog LOVED water but he had an absolute fear or my misting bottle.

I'm not sure about glass but my home depot/lowes sale acrylic sheets of varying thickness and size, you could use a sheet or two of that instead of glass but be warned that it scratches easily. So if you care about that it may not be the best choice. As for getting glass/acrylic cut to size for you, I would check and see if you have a local place that sales glass. Then you could have a piece cut to exact size by someone who knows what they are doing, lowes/home depot employees will cut stuff to your dimensions if they can but they may not be quite as accurate as you may want.

If you do buy an acrylic sheet and drill holes yourself I would look up a good guide one how to do it because if you don't do it right you'll crack the plastic.
    Last edited by Hellsrage; November 29th, 2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: I made mistakes :(

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you think those are good enough to modify for a HOB filter? I do want to go canister, but don't have the cash to spill out for the one I'm looking at.
    I figured some wire cutters and precise measurements would do the trick!
    Honestly I'm not sure. Never messed around with modifying one. I need to figured out a good way to run cords through one for a build I've been working on but keep putting it off lol.

But I think you should be fine with snipping away at with with wire cutters just make sure your not leaving sharp edges.

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Nationality
    [United States]

If you make the vent holes 2" round or somewhere around that, the most she is gonna do is stick her arm in. If you have a spray bottle, use it on her any time she jumps on the tank, it may take a while but she should get the idea. My kitten too use to sleep in the sink but I have yet to meet a dog or cat that likes being squirted by water, hell my sisters dog LOVED water but he had an absolute fear or my misting bottle.

I'm not sure about glass but my home depot/lowes sale acrylic sheets of varying thickness and size, you could use a sheet or two of that instead of glass but be warned that it scratches easily. So if you care about that it may not be the best choice. As for getting glass/acrylic cut to size for you, I would check and see if you have a local place that sales glass. Then you could have a piece cut to exact size by someone who knows what they are doing, lowes/home depot employees will cut stuff to your dimensions if they can but they may not be quite as accurate as you may want.

If you do buy an acrylic sheet and drill holes yourself I would look up a good guide one how to do it because if you don't do it right you'll crack the plastic.
    Lowes actually does glass and plexiglass cutting/drilling! So I think that should help quite a bit.
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]

Lowes actually does glass and plexiglass cutting/drilling! So I think that should help quite a bit.
    Well there you go!

Nationality
    [United States]

Well there you go!
    Indeed. And from what I hear they are very cheap!
    Мy darlings :

Tongue Flicker

LOL

How about plywood cut to fit? I know there are water resistant types like marine plywood and concrete plywood (i think?!).. holes can be easily drilled plus your cat can sleep on top of your tank the whole day. Just pray to God she doesn't pee on it lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    LOL

How about plywood cut to fit? I know there are water resistant types like marine plywood and concrete plywood (i think?!).. holes can be easily drilled plus your cat can sleep on top of your tank the whole day. Just pray to God she doesn't pee on it lol.
    Glass or acrylic would most likely be cheaper than marine wood and any other water resistant wood.

Tongue Flicker

Glass or acrylic would most likely be cheaper than marine wood and any other water resistant wood.
    Oh okay. It goes the other way around here haha

Nationality
    [United States]

I got a glass canopy. There is a space in the back for the filter, but that narrow strip is about it.
    Unfortunately Lowes does not cut glass unless it is purchased by them. It was very misleading both on the phone and on person. Of course maybe I could have built my own canopy, but time, time, time!
    Мy darlings :

maxQ

Spray bottle filled with water, she goes near it spray her, she will eventually leave it alone.

Thread Information