Thread: Red Eyed tree frog with intermittent light green spots/blotches

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Red Eyed tree frog with intermittent light green spots/blotches

I'm frog sitting my friends Red Eyed tree frogs, two males and one female. Ive watched them now for several summers due to extreme temps in his NY apt, but he's moving and I'm keeping them until he's moved in, so they arent exposed to excessive and needless stress.
    For whatever reason this year the female has been getting light green spots, which we initially treated with flagy, several times, and they went away. After treating her a few times with the flagyl we decided not to medicate her, but to just watch her and see what happens hoping they would go away on their own and they did.
    She's getting these spots/blotches all the time now, seemingly out of nowhere, but when they appear they then disappear just as quickly. We no longer treat these spots/blotches assuming it's a phase in between her color changes, light to dark and vice versa.
    The other two Red eyed males in her tank do not have this problem she seems to be the only frog affected. She looks good is active and eats very well, but I'm in hoping this is not a sign or symptom of another problem.
    I keep the temperatures berween 68' and 76', ave 74', and at 60-70% humidity. I spot clean the tank regularly and do a full cleaning every few wks, or when needed, and change their "pool" water every other day. I have well water so its not treated. I keep a cricket bowl in their tank, so food is always available, I refresh the crickets and dust them daily.
    The one males has "mounted" her multiple times, she's not a willing participant, and usually manages to "free" herself, but he's managed to hang on a few times for a couple of hours. At first we thought this was the reason for the abrasions causing the spots/blotches.
    Has anyone heard of red eyes having these spots/blotches in between color changes?
    Or seen these come and go quickly without treatment?
    Any explanation, advice or information would be appreciated.
    I'm going to try to post a picture of the most recent episode which disappeared less than a half hour later.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Red Eyed tree frog with intermittent light green spots/blotches

Although those green spots are believed by some to be a deadly issue; many like me think it's more of a skin irritation sign .

To locate the source of irritation can be as easy as testing the well water or looking around for any chemicals in use at your house (deodorizers, carpet cleaners, aerosols, smelly candles, etc.).

You could try treating your well water with Seachem Prime, in case there is a heavy metal or similar causing an allergic reaction in the female Red-Eyed Leaf Frog. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello,

Has anyone heard of red eyes having these spots/blotches in between color changes?
    Absolutely ! I believe this to happen more often this time of year as well ? - cooler temps -

Try to regulate the temp swings as best as possible, of which I believe to be one of the most challenging tasks when keeping red eye tree frogs
    My routing changes dramatically in the winter months as I house my frogs in the basement

I have had most luck with Exo Terra heat cables combined w hanging ceramic heat emitters.
    The cables are really great - but proceed cautiously -- you will want to stick a therm. in the substrate
    When using the heat emitter bulbs-- monitor the interior temp of the glass ( I use my wrist) Like checking a baby bottle

I believe it is best to clean/change the soaking dish everyday -- especially if there is more than one frog sharing body slime

What product are you using to de-chlorinating the water

IMO - This frog looks good

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks so much for both your comments. ..I think the problem maybe a combination of the two.
    I've definitely been having problems keeping the temp in the room constant, as I mentioned its usually around 74' but can vary between 68-76. The temp outside can vary significantly, sometimes 20 to 40 degrees between day and night, so there has been some fluctuations in the room that may be affecting the frogs.
    As far as the well water goes.... we definitely have hard water and I know it has a very large iron content, all you need to do is look at anything that holds water in our house and its all orange from it oxidizing!
    I'm definitely going to make an effort to keep the temperature more stable and treat water for the metals.
    Thaks again you've both been very helpful

Thread Information