Thread: Please help quick!

jacobnk

Default Please help quick!

Hi everyone

I am really really worried, i got my whites 2 days ago and when he came he was a pinky purple colour when he settled into his viv he turned bright green. ANYWAYS getting back to the point, I have tried to feed him crickets today and he just refuses it, they are a little bit too big for him but the new batch of smaller crickets arnt coming for another 4 days! PLEASE HELP IM SO WORRIED. also he looks a tad bloated, strange as I haven't fed him. So today as he didn't eat I did what some others did, I got a tuppaware box (with air holes in it) put some frog moss in there and put my whites in with a couple of crickets (the smallest I could find, and they seemed a pretty good size for him) and he turned purple again and he was soo stressed he was jumping and clawing at the box, when he didn't eat ANY of the crickets I opened the lid and he went crazy jumping everywhere really stressed and so i put him back in his viv and Im scared to touch him or anything. IS THIS NORMAL?!?!??! he has a great viv, some cover a big waterbowl a fogger and a heat mat. so what is the problem? I am really worries so please reply ASAP!

Thank u zoo much guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

fenwoman

Default Re: Please help quick!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobnk View Post
    Hi everyone

I am really really worried, i got my whites 2 days ago and when he came he was a pinky purple colour when he settled into his viv he turned bright green. ANYWAYS getting back to the point, I have tried to feed him crickets today and he just refuses it, they are a little bit too big for him but the new batch of smaller crickets arnt coming for another 4 days! PLEASE HELP IM SO WORRIED. also he looks a tad bloated, strange as I haven't fed him. So today as he didn't eat I did what some others did, I got a tuppaware box (with air holes in it) put some frog moss in there and put my whites in with a couple of crickets (the smallest I could find, and they seemed a pretty good size for him) and he turned purple again and he was soo stressed he was jumping and clawing at the box, when he didn't eat ANY of the crickets I opened the lid and he went crazy jumping everywhere really stressed and so i put him back in his viv and Im scared to touch him or anything. IS THIS NORMAL?!?!??! he has a great viv, some cover a big waterbowl a fogger and a heat mat. so what is the problem? I am really worries so please reply ASAP!

Thank u zoo much guys
    I'm n expert but I think he's having to deal with too much. You've only had him a couple of days, leave him be. Why are you handling him in order to feed him? Have you tried him with some worms or even cockroaches? I just shove the food in and leave them to it. He's not going to want to feed if he's totally stressed out and after only being with you for 2 days I reckon he's stressed.The heat mat is outside the viv right? The water bowl isn't deep enough for him to drown in?

4. This member thanks fenwoman for this post:

jacobnk

Arrow Re: Please help quick!

Quote Originally Posted by fenwoman View Post
    I'm n expert but I think he's having to deal with too much. You've only had him a couple of days, leave him be. Why are you handling him in order to feed him? Have you tried him with some worms or even cockroaches? I just shove the food in and leave them to it. He's not going to want to feed if he's totally stressed out and after only being with you for 2 days I reckon he's stressed.The heat mat is outside the viv right? The water bowl isn't deep enough for him to drown in?
    I have only taken him out once to try and feed him because I though whites couldn't hunt when they are young. His heat mat is outside of the viv and the water is below his mouth so he can't drown. Im not too worried that he hasn't eaten yet BUT the smaller crickets won't arrive until monday, he hasn't eaten since thurday. HOW LONG DO WHITS LIVE WIHTOUT FOOD? please lemme know, I will try to leave him alone a bit for a couple days and see if bees up to scratch.

thanks man

fenwoman

Default Re: Please help quick!

can't you go out to pets at home or some place to get the size you require?Or get locusts? My whites were only the size of my fingernail when I got them and I just chucked a load of locusts in and left them to it. Re them not being able to hunt when small. How the heck do they survive in the wild if they cannot hunt?

Default Please help quick!

The frog needs time to acclimate. Just give him/her a couple weeks. I lost a juvenile white's, only to find him 2 months later in my basement. So I can attest to the fact that they can go a while without eating.

As far as the water goes, he will not drown. As long as they have easy access to get out of the water, they will be fine. My male white's takes laps in their enclosure nightly. He swims for about 20 minutes then soaks all night and the water is much deeper than he is tall in parts.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri