Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Urgent help

amstermarie

Default Need Urgent help

my daughter is an animal lover, and while leaving the craft store we found a tree Frog.. his leg was very bloody.. i scooped him up we went into the petsmart for help but they gave us a box and said they could not help.. is there any hope.. i think he should be returned to the wild b/c he is wild.. but he wont make it bloody.. what type of temporary set up can i do? cheep.. what do i feed him.. and can he recover? he seemed to drag the leg when i tried to catch him.. idk if it will be usable..in that case.. then what.. i know they are a dime a dozen ( sw Florida) but THIS one crossed our path and we want to save him......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

amstermarie

Default Re: Need Urgent help

`Name:  1479505_3567193995043_1025568625_n.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  42.2 KB
    his color changed a little.. idk if its loss of blood or scared .. waa.. pls help

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi, welcome to the forum, wish not under these circumstances though

that does not look good, it'll need a vet here, antibiotics leg seems to be broken, based on a pic.

Can you afford treatment? If so please please do so, you can try to treat at home, it may work to some extend, but really having your daughter involved may be you should opt to do all that, have been there myself, it may die either way, but properly treated it has more chances, educational aspect of that is pretty valuable in my opinion.
    Released in a wild in this condition it won't survive.

Meanwhile you can do a temporarily hospital set, one of those plastic storage bin, not too big and poke holes in a lid. Put papertowels on a bottom and wet them with natural spring water ( check the label if it is actual spring water). You can use tap water treated with water conditioner, that you can get from a pet store. I don't think the frog will want to get higher yet, but if you have some plastic plants place them on a walls, so a frog has a hide of sorts to feel more secure.
    The goal is to keep as clean and as less stressed out as possible until you get to the vet.
    Watch humidity that I don't think is an issue in Florida
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Default Need Urgent help

My response is not going to be a popular one, but here goes:

What you have there is a Cuban tree frog. And invasive species in the United States and very problematic in Florida. If you are planning on keeping it as a long term pet, then by all means, take it to a vet and give it a proper home. If you are planning on rehabilitating it to return it to the wild, don't. Florida fish and game has declared it invasive and they are to be euthanized on sight. While I do not condone the euthanized of any animal intentionally, I believe in it for invasive species. If you are not planning on keeping it as a pet, I recommend euthanizing it. If you find yourself unable to do it, please have someone else. Do not return it to the wild.

Like I said, this will not be a popular post, but it is my brutally honest opinion.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

amstermarie

how do you get treatment for a frog? im thinking the vet would just kill him.. as i read about it. the University of Fl has ordered that.. what do i do to self treat ?

Default Need Urgent help

That is definitely not a self treatment situation. You would need to start calling around to local vets and ask if they can treat frogs. There are very few and far between though.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah Bill, I agree with you on that in theory, but for me life is life, frog, invasive of not doesn't matter, not going to throw tomatoes at you because of what you think, bc you're right too.

But the thing is a kid is involved here and she cares about that particular frog, for me that reason alone would be enough to go all the way treating it.
    Either way amstermarie if there is anything we can help more pls let us know.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Default Need Urgent help

I agree, with a child it is harder. It's a tough situation all the way around. And this is why I love this forum. No tomato on my face
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by amstermarie View Post
    how do you get treatment for a frog? im thinking the vet would just kill him.. as i read about it. the University of Fl has ordered that.. what do i do to self treat ?
    it is not really self treatment situation for sure, you need to proper diagnose what that is that first, it may be that a leg is broken beyond repair, in that case euthanasia is the only option. Tree frog can't really live with one leg, unless you keep it in captivity and take care for the rest if his life. Not impossible though.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    No tomato on my face
    what about oranges?

Default Need Urgent help

Oranges are awesome! They also prevent scurvy, which would be good since I have up me pirating ways
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Default Need Urgent help

And just for the record, I do not advocate the capture of invasive species with the intent of euthanizing them. Only in the case of one like this, where it is wounded. I just wanted to be clear on that.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You will need some neosporin for that leg at least. DO NOT use the kind with pain killer in it!! It will kill your frog.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree with everyone else this poor thing does need a vet. It's hard to tell whether or not it's just a skin laceration or A combination of a skin laceration
    And joint damage.

This poor thing needs to be under sedation and examined and bleeding controlled.
    Good luck.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What really burns me up about this is that Petsmart sells frogs lizards but their veterinarian service banfield doesn't do exotics.

Nationality
    [United States]

OK, here are the facts! Frog has a bad compound rear leg fracture with visible bleeding and no chance of surviving in the wild or making it out of a veterinary office alive since it's an invasive species . Question: is bone protruding out? That would be very bad and require surgery to fix.

Options:

1. Euthanize to end it's suffering without pain: Need Orajel Max Strength applied to frogs belly.

2. Try to save: Need to set-up a hospital like enclosure (a small plastic critter keeper will do) with damp (dechlorinated tap water) unprinted paper towels as substrate. Change these every 2 days or when soiled. Some silk plants from a pet shop will help frog feel safe. If clear sided (i.e. glass or polycarbonate plastic) cover all sides with paper to reduce stress.

Need antibiotic for open wound:

- Plain silver ointment for humans applied on wound once a day; or

- Enrofloxacin -Baytril use 8 drops in 125ml 80F dechlorinated water (Seachem Prime is good dechlorinator). Can treat in small critter keeper or small clean plastic container with holed up cover. Fill with solution to frogs chin, 15 min. each day for 6 days; or

- Plain Neosporin for humans applied on wound once a day.

If frog leg swells up or gets discolored, it's a sign of infection and probably won't be able to correct.

On the contrary if frog wound heals or looks to improve, start offering crickets (gut loaded for 24-48 hours with lettuce, carrots, cherios, and oats). Insects should be sized same as distance between frogs eyes. To help frog eat, can detach the crickets rear legs before offering. If frog eat, that is a great sign and we will discuss dusting with supplements latter. By the way, frog might be permanently handicapped and require special captive care for life.

Let us know what you decide and please update frog's injury condition. Welcome to FF and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

18. 3 members thank Mentat for this post:

amstermarie

thank you every one.. i do not know of a vet. i will do the hospital tank and neosporin.. i have made contact with some one local that "might " help.. too not a vet but a biologist..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A biologist is better than most vets in my opinion. Where I live there are no herp vets at all. There are the run of the mill exotic vets that treat hamsters and bunnies. But bring in a snake or a frog and they are clueless and still charge you and arm and a leg.

amstermarie

im striking out.... the biologist reply :

Local wildlife hospitals like the one I work with aren't permitted to treat non natives so he would be euthanized due to the severity of it. He's probably

In quite a bit of pain too, so euthanasia might be the right way to go honestly from the photo it looks badly broken

amstermarie

ok.. im not a vet.. and ive never owned a frog in my life... but i do not think his leg is broken.. i opened up the box to put the wet paper towels in and to put on neosporin.. and he hopped out.... and he put up a good fight w me re catching him.. the leg straightened up but.. it has no skin what so ever on it.. so im not sure if that is better news or worse news.. for one thing he is fiesty.. ill try to get some pixs tomm if i can get him in a better container that he wont hop out of.. i have him in the box the pet store gave me.. with paper towels on the bottom..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information