Thread: Trying to Save a Toad

ToadMode

Default Trying to Save a Toad

I just rescued a toad from being squished in my neighborhood. I found him in the middle of the road in about 45 degree weather. We're in winter mode and the temp is bottom 30s now. Either he was unearthed by landscapers or they sprayed some chemical that hurt him forcing him to dig out. His hands and feet were soar as he sat there propping his feet up. His bottom was bleeding, not a lot - but looks like it was highly irritated. I took him in and cleaned him up - he was pretty active for a few days, but just shed then got super lethargic and bleeding again. I change his water every day and used filtered (Brita) water only. I have him in shredded coconut husk sub-strait but now I just put down a cloth which he sits on as it seems softer for him. He's not eating, but that seems typical as my other toad (much smaller) stops eating in winter and stays buried most days. (they are in separate tanks). Does anyone have an idea on how to treat him? There's really noting online other than redleg fungus, but I don't think it's that. I've attached a pix. Thanks.

Name:  mrt.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  152.3 KB

2. This member thanks ToadMode for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Trying to Save a Toad

Poor toad, nice save. You can apply non medicated neosporin to the sore spots to help fend off infection (but be sure it's the original non medicated, the kind with pain killer will kill him). And if it were me I would keep him on paper towels, moisten with dechlorinated water changed daily. Use something non porous for a hide so it can easily be cleaned daily as well. Alot of work but a nice clean environment will help it heal. Once the areas heals up he can go right back on coco fiber so he can burrow and be happy. He looks like he's got a healthy weight on him so I wouldn't be concerned about not eating right now.

Even though your fileting your water I would still recommend using dechlorinating drops. A little bottle for $3-$4 will last quite a while.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

5. This member thanks MatthewM1 for this post:

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The above instructions from Matthew are great,
    I would only add a few things to help lessen the stress on the poor toad.

I would cover 3 sides of the container he is in to lessen stress,
    Stress is big factor in the recovery process.

In a week or so when his skin heals some I would do a pedolite soak
    90% treated water (dechlorinated) and 10% of unflavored pedolite the bath should be warmed to 70f
    and let hi soak for at least 10 min then let him soak for 5 min or so in just treated water (dechlorinated)
    to rinse off the pedolite.

and also keep him a low traffic area and quiet try to keep the temp around 68 to 70F

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! From your description and the bleeding, would say taking toad to the veterinary is warranted. This can help you locate a vet if needed: Arav – Find a Vet. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

ToadMode

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I posted this on 2 forums because of my concern and you guys were not only first but the only replies.

Anyway, I'll go with Luis and Matthew for now - thank you. If it does not get better then I'll do the vet thing - although I don't think I can afford that

Question: I have Mt T on soft facecloth at the moment on top of the coconut husk. Would that be ok, or is paper towels the best / and / should I empty out the sub-strait for now?

Again - thank you.

Nationality
    [United States]

The reason for using a "hospital like" enclosure with damp unprinted paper towels as substrate is to reduce the chance of an infection from pathogens in the soil like substrate. My recommendation would be to get rid of the shredded coco, clean enclosure and all items in it, then re-introduce toad .

10. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I completely agree with Carlos.

12. This member thanks Louis Charles Bruckner for this post:

ToadMode

Well thanks everyone. Unfortunately, he's passed. Whatever got him out of his hole - must have done him in. I got all of my hospital kit together and when I went to move him, rigor had already started. I had him for a couple days and he just went downhill fast. Makes me sad.

In this area, in the spring, April/May till about the beginning of October - there's toads everywhere and my daughter and I go out every night on rescue patrol. We go out with flashlights in our neighborhood and when we spot them, we turn them from the street and guide them (or carry them) back into front lawns and the fields out here; sometimes 20 or more a night! What's funny is after a while we see less in the streets and more back up in the grass - so maybe they are learning. We went form seeing them flattened every night to only a few every now and then. I was hoping we could also save this little guy too, but sometimes we can't control everything. That's what I tell my daughter anyway when we're too late. Still is a bummer though.... on both accounts.

Anyway, I have a new little guy now. We found him just after he dropped his tail about September. Grew triple his size then dug in about mid October. He's in and out of the ground right now in kind of half-hibernation. It will be nice to see him out and eating and growing again. For now it's a quick hi as he jumps in the water for an hour or so then buries in again for a few days.

We're hoping to find him a buddy this year, maybe even raise our own and give a back a little, especially after Mr T's passing today....

Again - thanks to all for the help.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that,
    but keep up the good work.

I am glad to hear that you and your daughter are doing a great job.

When I moved to my home in raleigh NC back in 96 I didn't see any toads at all.
    So when I got my 8'X10' pond going I decided to tans plant some tadpoles from the largest local lake to my pond.
    and the toad population has came back to where I do see their droppings on my walk way and drive way but I don't see any
    that have met a end in the road (thankfully)

I just recently rehabbed a toadlet that lost one of its hind feet.

Welcome to the forum

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Trying to Save a Toad

In case you save more, here is a nice Caresheet.
    http://www.frogforum.net/content/toa...pelobates-125/

I'm sorry you lost him. Great efforts!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

ToadMode

Thanks Heather - thanks for the info too...

My daughter and I buried Mr T earlier in the day. Still sad - but hoping for spring. In the mean time, she has two fence swifts that got in the house and are now "guests" here. I have Froggie, the baby toad and we're growing our own mealworms at the moment while Froggie is not eating for the winter. It's fun, she likes it when the beetles emerge. We make bets on which pupa will transform 1st. When Froggie's out more, I'll post some pix, he's still a bit skiddish.

Anwyay - thanks to all. Will create another sting about Froggie and say gnight to Mr T.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry the toad died !

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry to hear abou Mr. T not making it, but I want to say thank you for trying.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am so glad that you have taken the time to teach your daughter about nature and that it is not
    ichy or yucky. LOL

I just wish my wife was fought this when she was young.
    I might still have my whites tree frogs.

ToadMode

Appreciate it Carlos, Gail and Louis,

I remember my first treefrog save when I was about my daughter's age. I was living in Connecticut and heard a pretty loud chirp down the street and a crack. I had already a pretty good zoo of painted turtles, bullfrogs, leopard frogs and even a bat - all caught in my back yard...

Anyway upon investigation, I found that a garden snake was trying to eat a much larger grey treefrog and both fell out of a tree about 20 or so feet up. Ironically the gluttony of the strike and the fall killed the snake but saved the frog. I caught them both but the snake later died of internal bleeding. The frog was in and out for most of the day. Then all of sudden he was ok. Only took him about 15 minutes of my back being turned for that little bugger to escape and sneak off too.

Anyway - ever since then had a soft-spot for treefrogs, although I don't have any. Toads are also a fav as growing up from there I've had quite a few amazing little pals. Working on passing the torch now to my daughter, well at least letting her borrow it for a while.

Thread Information