Thread: Hello everyone! New red-eyed tree frog owner - a couple questions!

Eliz

Question Hello everyone! New red-eyed tree frog owner - a couple questions!

Hello fellow froggy lovers of the world!

I am a new owner of a red-eyed tree frog by the name of Kusama (she is apparently about 6 weeks old - bought her at a pet store).

I have successfully and lovingly owned a wild caught Greys Tree Frog (native to the province in which I live - Manitoba, Canada) who unfortunately passed away a year ago after having her for almost 6 years.

I thought I had experience in taking care of frogs - and wasn't daunted by the more exotic Red-Eyed Tree Frog. I heard from the pet shop employee that they are hardy and difficult to have die on you, but I'm starting to have my doubts. Where Smacky (old Greys Tree Frog) was a hardy, crazy and boistrous explorer who would try to eat anything that came into her tank (including my finger once or twice!), Kusama has done nothing but sleep. I am aware that Red-Eyed's are nocturnal and that it is normal for them to sleep during the day, but this poor little frog hasn't eaten a thing since I've had her - 6 days. With my old frog, I would throw crickets/moths/beetles/pretty much any bug in and within 30 seconds she would have demolished the unfortunate bug. I tried initially throwing crickets into Kusama's enclosure, but was frustrated by the fact that there was no evidence of whether the disappeared cricket had been eaten or had just gone into the substrate. I looked at other feeding options and then learned of the feeding bowl method. I bought a small pyrex bowl, threw some bugs in there last night, and STILL. No crickets eaten. The frog hadn't even moved.

I realize that she is probably stressed and adjusting to her new terrarium - she has had a bit of handling (with washed and wet hands!) due to having to add a few things over a couple days. I have no concerns about the terrarium, it is the tall, fairly large kind (bought it for 110$) - don't know its volume, but the size definitely wouldn't be the problem. I have plenty of foliage, both silk and real (pothos plant), plenty of climbing vines and sticks, a diagonal slate rock (which she has adopted as her permanent bed), and a water dish. Substrate is gravel/charcoal mix on bottom, then ExoTerra plantation soil (coconut base), then sphagnum moss. I mist about three times daily - the hygrometer reads at about 75% humidity. I am considering covering up one more side of the terrarium - two sides are covered at the moment. I have a night light with a dimmer that I have turned on at a low setting to keep her warm overnight.

Any tips on how to get my little froggy an appetite? I haven't seen any poop, no evidence of eating, and she is getting quite thin now - definitely has lost weight. Starting to get stressed! I LOVE FROGS... don't want her to die. But I seriously don't know what else to do except stare at her and hope she perks up.

Thanks everybody and cheers to all the awesome amphibian lovers!!! Coolest kind of pet owners

I would appreciate any advice!

-Elizabeth

Default Hello everyone! New red-eyed tree frog owner - a couple questions!

Hi Elizabeth! Welcome to the forum. I am no red eye person, I never had luck with them, but I am sure either Heather or Lynn will be along eventually and can offer you advice. They are among the best when it comes to red eyes.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Eliz

Default Re: Hello everyone! New red-eyed tree frog owner - a couple questions!

Thanks Bill! (assuming that is your name haha )
    I am excited to take part in this forum, should be a great learning experience. I await Heather and/or Lynn with anticipation! Thanks for your quick reply!
    - Eliz

My pleasure! I hope you have better luck than I did with them! Again, welcome to the forum!!
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

5. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Elizabeth
    Welcome to FF!

This frog is really still adjusting--covering sides of the enclosure will help the frog feel safer.
    I would continue to feed using the bowl method.

Be sure the feeders are not too large.
    You don't want to ration the food.
    Feed every night ... lots of wiggling in the bowl may get the frog's attention.
    It will not overeat

Keep it in complete darkness at night, at least until it is adjusted.

This frog should not be with others except the same species -----after a quarantine period of 30 days.
    In fact , should be in a quarantine set up - alone.
    ( a simple/ small glass enclosure - even 5 gallons would be ok...with dampened paper towel for substrate, a sprig of pothos /the water dish/ feeding bowl....clean the feeding bowl daily/provide freshly dusted food daily)
    Change the PT at least 3 times a week
    Water for the soaking dish and the paper towel should be de-chlorinated.
    I use a clear glass pyrex bowls for feeding ( specifically 3-4 " sides)

Quarantine will allow you to monitor food intake and the frogs health while adjusting.

caresheet
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...caresheet.html

quarantine
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

What Vitamins and Calcium are you using?

Temps:
    day:78-82F
    night:71-75 F

Humidity 75% is great ! It should not be sustained above 80%

I really can't comment on substrate for red eyed tree frogs as I do not use any.
    I use dampened fabric substrate. (Happy to provide additional information if you would like)

I believe paper towel would be fine ---even permanently....but that's a lot of paper towel
    They need VERY clean enclosures

*** wear gloves between all frog enclosures !

Nice to meet you !
    Keep us posted
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

7. 2 members thank flybyferns for this post:

Dreadfrog

Well I'm new to red eye tree frogs myself and not a expert but I believe red eye tree frogs are sensitive to night time light .
    If you have any light on at night they tend to sleep . I have two and they move around but it's dark as I can make it .
    So if you have a light on at night try turning it off . I think these frogs are more sensitive then most to it .
    Also cover 3 sides of the tank with something . I use brown paper bags on mine . It helps new frogs feel safe.
    Make sure crickets are small enough . I was putting 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch crickets in my frogs tank and noticed the smaller ones got eaten not the bigger ones
    I also added fruit flys in the tank . Not sure if they eat them but since my frogs are small and I only had them a month . I figure it won't hurt .
    Good luck . Hope this helps and maybe someone with more experience has more to offer for advice .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. This member thanks Dreadfrog for this post:

Eliz

Oh my gosh I love this forum! So many great and knowledgable people!!!

Thanks for the recommendations Lynn and "Dreadfrog" (nice name).

To Lynn: I am using Flukers Dietary Supplement Calcium:Phosphorous. Seems like the frog (once it starts eating) will be eating a more balanced meal than me!

I am going to cover the third side of the tank tonight and see if that helps. And also: there are no other frogs in the terrarium so I don't have to worry about quarantine - everything was bought brand spanking new for this lucky frog so she doesn't have to worry about any form of contamination from my old Grey's. RIP.

Fruit flies is a very interesting suggestion - I will look into it if Kusama continues to be scant with her feeding!

And as far as night time light goes - I don't think that's a problem - a little bit of city light may be sneaking in from the street lamps? I'll close the blinds.
    I am using those 'indigo' night time heat lamps for the frog - do they see that light spectrum? If so, then I'll have to get a different night time bulb!

I think that about covers any other updates - will keep my fingers crossed tonight! I hope to see NO crickets tomorrow morning.... come on froggy EAT!!!

Thanks again to everybody's awesome responses

Eliz

Hi Lynn sorry one more clarification - what is "change the PT 3 times a week"? PT? Probably something really obvious that I'm not catching...

Dreadfrog

Even the night light indigo light may effect them .
    If it is not going to make the tank to cold I would try turning it off till things are running smooth .

13. This member thanks Dreadfrog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Eliz View Post
    Hi Lynn sorry one more clarification - what is "change the PT 3 times a week"? PT? Probably something really obvious that I'm not catching...

Hi Eliz,

Yes , change paper towel substrate at least three times a week.

If QT is for a frog that is ill. It should be daily.

I'm sorry if my original response to you seen scattered ? I was in a bit of a hurry. It was a fast as I could type

For clarification...I agree with Dreadfrog 100%.
    They are very sensitive to light. I personally use NO nighttime light.
    I think, in fact, there may be no other supply I have wasted more $$ on.
    It is noticeable ,to me, that there is a reduction in nighttime activity .........regardless of the 'color' light used.
    Someone will disagree with that.......but that's ok FF is all about sharing experience I suppose it's a personal choice.

May I suggest you add Repashy ( used alternately ) to the dusting routine.
    Repashy Super Foods Calcium Plus Supplement at PETCO

Note: above a combined Ca and Vit supplement. For adults it would not have to be used daily.

I alternate these three products ( on small crickets ) for adult red eye tree ( A callidryas) frogs and adult black eye tree forgs ( A moreletii ):
    No dusting on Wed and Saturday

Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin (BLUE) | Josh's Frogs

Rep-Cal Ultrafine Calcium with Vitamin D3 (PINK) - Rep-Cal Supplements | Josh's Frogs

( make sure they are sealed well under the lid )

Best, Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

15. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Eliz,

Welcome to Frog Forum and the wonderful world of red-eyed tree frogs .

I alternate Repashy Calcium Plus and Repcal phosphorus-free Calcium with vitamin D3. I skip Wednesdays. It's important to have D3 in the calcium you choose for proper absorption.

I do use paper towels for substrate. I adopted my retf's from a local pet store sick so I could heal them. I switched to Eco earth coconut fiber when they were healed, but they did not like the substrate sticking on their toe pads, so I changed back. Their plants are in a smooth ceramic pot. I change mine daily, though every other day is fine if they are not soiled.

I too keep the room completely dark at night. They stop calling even if I have my dim reading light on across the room. Lights out, we've got singing .

I was wondering how small the little guy is? If he/she is around an inch or so from nose (snout) to butt (vent), then he would enjoy some nice flightless fruit flies. His food should be no larger than the distance between his eyes. This is for ease of swallowing.

They tend to take a week or two to adjust to a new home. If you can get the temp up around 78'F - 80'F he should get hungry. I keep my daytime temp at 78'F.

I hope he eats for you soon .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

17. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Eliz

Ok here's an update! Last night, I heated the tank up to about 80 Fahrenheit as directed, then proceeded to turn all the lights off overnight. Had four crickets in the bowl, and this morning there are only two!!!! Unless the crickets turned Houdini and figured out a way to get out of the bowl, I think it's safe to say that my frog may have eaten them! Thanks guys for all your advice, it's been really helpful and my frog would probably still be not eating if I hadn't joined!
    As for substrate, I THINK I'm going to keep the substrate I have (with sphagnum) because I live in a very harsh and unforgiving climate for half the year. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It is currently -13 Fahrenheit (-25 Celsius) outside with extremely dry air, so heat and humidity are things that need as much help as they can get for this frog. I feel that the sphagnum will be invaluable in helping the humidity stay high during our five-month winter, and that it also seems to capture and retain heat a bit as well? Our apartment is freezing right now - need to talk to the landlord (dunno what's happening) so the heat lamp is on full blast. Hopefully this temp complication will get resolved more soon!

In the meantime, let's hope she keeps eating and thanks for all the great advice!

Nationality
    [United States]

Yay! That's wonderful!

If you bowl feed its ok to keep the moss. Definitely don't feed over the moss.

PS: keep am extra heat bulb on hand .

I hope he continues to do well for you! A temp of 78'F during the day is ideal. Careful not to go much over 80'F .
    Last edited by Heatheranne; November 25th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

20. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Eliz

Yep I've heard everywhere that they can get some pretty nasty complications if they swallow moss. Impaction? I'll pass thanks!

Today, I saw her exploring around her tank with a nice round little belly - looked 10X more alive than I've seen her since I've brought her home! Two crickets gone from the bowl as well.

Thanks so much frog forum! I'll post a photo soon too

Quote Originally Posted by Eliz View Post
    Yep I've heard everywhere that they can get some pretty nasty complications if they swallow moss. Impaction? I'll pass thanks!

Today, I saw her exploring around her tank with a nice round little belly - looked 10X more alive than I've seen her since I've brought her home! Two crickets gone from the bowl as well.

Thanks so much frog forum! I'll post a photo soon too
    Glad to hear things are looking up! I told you heather and Lynn would be a valuable source of info
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

23. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Eliz

Hello!
    Another question out of curiosity - I get the impression that red eyed's enjoy one anothers' company. Would it be recommended to get another frog to become friends with my current one? And if so, what would be the recommended method of introducing them? I'm assuming a size difference may be a bit of a problem or is that only for more territorial/aggressive frogs?
    Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, they are social frogs. It is best to quarantine each frog separately for a minimum of 30 days. This allows you to monitor how they are doing...eating, pooping, overall health, etc.

After quarantining, if no health issues are found, you can put them into the same tank. They may or may not take a week or so to adjust.

Dreadfrog

I don't think the size is a big problem .
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
    I would try to get the closest size you can
    Retf do prefer to have another . They live well in groups
    I would wait till the one you have is really settled in first .
    Quarantine any new frog in separate tank for a couple months .
    Make sure there both eating , pooping , and watch for any problems .
    Keep the tanks away from each other . Then after you know the newer frog is heathy and acclimated
    Putt the tanks next to each other a couple days . Then add new frog and watch for signs of stress .

Thread Information