Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know anything about Leopard Geckos?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Anyone know anything about Leopard Geckos?

Mike, by any chance to you have a temp gun and a ambient temp reader? If so when you have time go outside barefoot and measure the ground then measure the air temp. You will see that the ambient temp does not have to be high at all to give you a 100F surface temp. I personally have seen a difference with offering wide range of temps. Animals are more active and better feeding responce then that of what "breeders" recommend. What makes you think that a leo in the wild would seek out cool shelter if the surface temp is 100F? Clearly in the picture the leo is using 104F so whats gonna stop them from using it in the wild other then getting eaten?. I personally don't believe that captive care of reptiles has been mastered yet. So thats why I would "push it". I still get people asking for help on animals even though their care is spot on to what breeders recommend.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Namio

Default Re: Anyone know anything about Leopard Geckos?

Mike, by any chance to you have a temp gun and a ambient temp reader? If so when you have time go outside barefoot and measure the ground then measure the air temp. You will see that the ambient temp does not have to be high at all to give you a 100F surface temp.
    Agreed. Not sure about relevance.

What makes you think that a leo in the wild would seek out cool shelter if the surface temp is 100F?
    Without digging through the literature, my guess would be that a crespuscular/nocturnal ectothermic gecko, who behaviorally avoid exposing itself during the heat of the day (pretty much during most of the day light), have been physically adapted and fit to a milder temperature range. I imagine a long term exposure to temp over 100F will probably cook the poor geckos if not at least be harmful them. One important point I'd like to make is that just because an animal lives in a really hot/cold place does not mean they can withstand those extreme temperatures, and truth is, many of them can't. What many reptiles, amphibians, mammals, etc. have done is that they find different ways to thermal regulate (avoid extreme temp.) instead of "toughing it out."

Clearly in the picture the leo is using 104F so whats gonna stop them from using it in the wild other then getting eaten?
    A staged photo shot tells very little about the whole story. I am sure these gecko can withstand a short term exposure to such high temperature.

I personally don't believe that captive care of reptiles has been mastered yet.
    It is impossible to master captive care of all reptiles. But leopard gecko, being such a popular lizard, that their care is already quite adequate.

I still get people asking for help on animals even though their care is spot on to what breeders recommend.
    Not ALL breeders are capable of giving top-notch husbandry advise, but certainly MANY breeders can.

Happy Thanksgiving, by the way. And I think this horse is officially dead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information