Thread: Frog death: Cryptosporidiosis ?

Pheathers

Default Frog death: Cryptosporidiosis ?

I found my fantasy frog dead today, it was unexpected. The thing is, my leopard gecko was just diagnosed with having Cryptosporidiosis, a usually fatal parasitic infection of the small intestines. I haven't come across anything on the internet about frogs having this parasite (except about African Clawed frogs in labs). No idea if anyone has any insight. I thought crypto was pretty species specific(according to the species of crypto) and wouldn't jump to amphibs. I also have two African bullfrogs, they seem fine.
    The only things I've noticed were that my fantasy seemed a little pale yesterday, and he has been very active the last two weeks (in terms of moving around the tank).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog death: Cryptosporidiosis ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheathers View Post
    I found my fantasy frog dead today, it was unexpected. The thing is, my leopard gecko was just diagnosed with having Cryptosporidiosis, a usually fatal parasitic infection of the small intestines. I haven't come across anything on the internet about frogs having this parasite (except about African Clawed frogs in labs). No idea if anyone has any insight. I thought crypto was pretty species specific(according to the species of crypto) and wouldn't jump to amphibs. I also have two African bullfrogs, they seem fine.
    The only things I've noticed were that my fantasy seemed a little pale yesterday, and he has been very active the last two weeks (in terms of moving around the tank).
    I really have no insite on Crytosporidiosis. I do know that if your frog had a intestinal bacterial infection and the bacteria passed through the intestinal wall into the bloodstream that it can settle in the liver and once this happens the frog aquires a form of Hepatitis which is fatal if not caught in time. Anything attacking the liver will cause the frog to become pale in color and lethargic. Its appetite will fade as the infection progresses and it may retain fluid rapidly before death due to the toxins overloading the body while the liver shuts down this also contributes to the discoloration of the skin.

I'm sorry or your loss.

DesertHeat

Crypto is generally transmitted through contaminated water. What source are you using for your pets?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]

So sorry for your loss

As for your gecko I'm sure your vet went through it, no need to panic here. It is not fatal for gecko or any other at all unless it has immunodeficiency ( malnourished,severely stressed, sick already, etc).
    Cryptosporidium has bunch of species, all of them similar to each other and mostly host species specific, but can affect others, usually geckos and other reptiles have c. Serpentis that very very rarely affects somebody else, it can be a problem for people, frogs, cats, dogs etc with suppressed immunity. There is no proven treatment for frogs, in fact it is not even described in frogs properly, but having said that you need to do a specific fecal test to determine cryptosporidium oocysts.

I very strongly suggest to get your gecko under very strict quarantine.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by DesertHeat View Post
    Crypto is generally transmitted through contaminated water. What source are you using for your pets?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily, it can be transmitted through anything that might get fecal matter on, anything that you use for that particular tank, dishes, tongs, etc. that why strict quarantine needed, you should even wash water dishes, etc in a separate sinks and if I remember correctly it all can be disinfected in 5-10%ammonia solution.

as for water - just use regular treated tap and you will be all right.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for your Fantasy's death !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Pheathers

From everything I've read, and from what the vet said about crypto, it's pretty much a death sentence for leopard geckos as there are no effective treatments. I'll probably have him euthanized soon. I have to assume my frog died from the same thing, as his cage is right next to my gecko's. I just want people who have reptiles and amphibs to take this as a warning. Be very careful, practice good hygiene, change gloves when attending each cage. Crypto is highly contangious and is extremely durable in the environment (oocysts can live up to 6-8 months on dry surfaces). I can only hope my two remaining African bull frogs have escaped this fate.

Hypnotic

Sorry for your loss.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Pheathers View Post
    From everything I've read, and from what the vet said about crypto, it's pretty much a death sentence for leopard geckos as there are no effective treatments. I'll probably have him euthanized soon. I have to assume my frog died from the same thing, as his cage is right next to my gecko's. I just want people who have reptiles and amphibs to take this as a warning. Be very careful, practice good hygiene, change gloves when attending each cage. Crypto is highly contangious and is extremely durable in the environment (oocysts can live up to 6-8 months on dry surfaces). I can only hope my two remaining African bull frogs have escaped this fate.
    that is not exactly true, i can look up more on treatment protocols for geckos tomorrow when i have more time, pm me if interested or want more specific advice, but I'm sure it is not death sentence at all, about 20% pet reptiles have it but never are diagnosed, it causes a problem only in individuals with compromised immunity. Recommended quarantine protocol is 6 month for all newly purchased animals with few fecal exams done. I personally always keep all mine under mild quarantine even past that term with every month full disinfection of cages and things like bowls and tongs at least once a week. I'm doing routine complete fecal exams for all my animals, more frequent for geckos as some of them live with each other and move from cage to cage once in a while. You are very right saying that people should be very careful and take all quarantine measures very seriously, but crypto is not the worst thing that can happen.

it is very unlikely that your frog died because of crypto gotten from gecko, but i would suggest to do a necropsy to be sure, then you will know that has happen, to euthanize gecko or not can be only your own personal decision, each case and circumstances are different.

so sorry for all this, have been there not so long ago too, very sad experience and facing decision you are facing is one of worst things you need to think of when dealing with pets.

Thread Information