Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO - Someone feeds a chameleon to a pyxie frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO - Someone feeds a chameleon to a pyxie frog

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Thank you very much

And yes I heard what you people on earth are saying about my planet. YOU GUYS ARE WRONG!
    I believe it is now considered a large kuiper belt object

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I remember seeing this. I think the guy claimed he got the chameleon when it was sickly and he alleges he did this out of compassion because of its unhealthiness. Probably BS.

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    pretty sure that was a pygmy cham. Expensive "snack". All morals aside and i'm sure some of you wont agree with me, but have you have ever watched the discovery channel? This is nature. Why is the cham's life worth more than a cricket or a roach etc? I feed my snakes mice, is that wrong of me?
    I don't have to watch TV to understand nature after spending the majority of my life living and traveling throughout the South Pacific. I have, however, watched the discovery channel. It usually catches my attention when nothing else is on My younger brother's feed their snakes African soft furs. I feed my monitor baby rabbits and rats (which are fairly cute) and about a dozen different invertebrates. I wouldn't hesitate offering it anoles and even an occasional garden variety snake that gets too close to my house.

Just curious, but are the "lowly" insects worth less as a life because they are smaller or have a smaller brain, do not possess cognitive thought, don't look "cute", etc...
    Lowly as in humble, common, and not exotic compared to what is traditionally an expensive and exotic animal (a chameleon).

Anyway, I did not realize the story behind this guy's video....still, he's pretty bold for putting it out there knowing that its unusual especially when you are in control of "Nature" as far as what you offer to an animal in captivity.

5. This member thanks Cap10Squirty for this post:

SweetApples

Some thoughts on this subject. Often I've pondered the issue of which animals are acceptable to raise for food. If you are going to keep carnivores, then some kind of choice needs to made concerning what kind of animal you'll be raising and killing( or paying someone else to raise and kill for you).

If you can buy a piglet to feed to your snake, why can't you buy a kitten or puppy to feed to your snake?. Why is feeding a cat to a snake animal cruelty?. Who decided that a cat was a companion animal with a special status and a pig was not.
    Millions of surplus dogs and cats are already being euthanized.

This person's attitude does bother me. I don't like the idea that a person has a pet reptile and when they are tired of taking care of their pet, they feed their pet to another pet. However one feels about the morality of which animals are acceptable to feed to another animal, this is a troubling way to view an animal you've kept as a pet. It seems they hold the viewpoint that when they no longer want a certain pet, it's acceptable to kill them. I wonder if they at least tried to find the unwanted chameleon a new home, probably not.

I don't like the idea of giving a pet improper care and then killing them because of that improper care. Seems like a convenient way out of giving your pets proper care. If the pet gets sick due to improper care, you won't correct the care or attempt to treat them, you'll kill the pet.

Cap10Squirty

SweetApples, I think you used the words I have been trying to find in this matter. What happens when that frog gets sick and dies of improper care, such as being left to a cesspool of a water dish (it could have just been real dirty from the substrate but you never know). Would it be ok to instead of trying to find a reasonable solution, let his pet dog chew on the frog until it dies?

Obviously I'm extrapolating a little bit here, but I agree it seems like this individual didn't exhaust his options which made it all the more easier to pick it up by tweezers and allow the frog to make a meal out of it.

8. This member thanks Cap10Squirty for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Aww gotcha, I might get a pygmy this weekend. I just wonder how invertebrates/vertebrates , etc have different values on their life.
    I don't think so. Lives are lives and sometimes animals kill each other. I just watched the video and am a little more concerned about the water/habitat the user had. That water looked like mud or coffee or something! I also think it's foolish to buy a pet just for a snack.
    But assuming they did breed chams for sale and this one had issues, it should theoretically be nutritious.

I just don't like people who do things to seem "shocking" or "cool." Especially when it's an already charged topic.
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

10. This member thanks elliotulysses for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SweetApples View Post
    Some thoughts on this subject. Often I've pondered the issue of which animals are acceptable to raise for food. If you are going to keep carnivores, then some kind of choice needs to made concerning what kind of animal you'll be raising and killing( or paying someone else to raise and kill for you).

If you can buy a piglet to feed to your snake, why can't you buy a kitten or puppy to feed to your snake?. Why is feeding a cat to a snake animal cruelty?. Who decided that a cat was a companion animal with a special status and a pig was not.
    Millions of surplus dogs and cats are already being euthanized.

This person's attitude does bother me. I don't like the idea that a person has a pet reptile and when they are tired of taking care of their pet, they feed their pet to another pet. However one feels about the morality of which animals are acceptable to feed to another animal, this is a troubling way to view an animal you've kept as a pet. It seems they hold the viewpoint that when they no longer want a certain pet, it's acceptable to kill them. I wonder if they at least tried to find the unwanted chameleon a new home, probably not.

I don't like the idea of giving a pet improper care and then killing them because of that improper care. Seems like a convenient way out of giving your pets proper care. If the pet gets sick due to improper care, you won't correct the care or attempt to treat them, you'll kill the pet.
    I think pigs should be placed higher up than that! Usually when people have a preference of a sort of animal, but think it's fine killing another, is just recognizing neurological differences. For example, a pig's brain is MUCH more developed than a hamster. Just as a dog is more intelligent than a rabbit.

However, I think we are all children of the earth, and should mind these matters with respect for both animals.
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

Nationality
    [United States]

You guys do realize it is illegal to kill dogs and cats right (unless of course you are a shelter and a license)? So I don't see argument is valid, no offence. Pigs on the other hand are 100% legal to kill for food.

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by elliotulysses View Post
    I don't think so. Lives are lives and sometimes animals kill each other. I just watched the video and am a little more concerned about the water/habitat the user had. That water looked like mud or coffee or something! I also think it's foolish to buy a pet just for a snack.
    But assuming they did breed chams for sale and this one had issues, it should theoretically be nutritious.

I just don't like people who do things to seem "shocking" or "cool." Especially when it's an already charged topic.
    It did look like coffee! I agree with your last point. What got to me was this guy more than likely posted the video to get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    You guys do realize it is illegal to kill dogs and cats right (unless of course you are a shelter and a license)? So I don't see argument is valid, no offence. Pigs on the other hand are 100% legal to kill for food.
    Maybe where you live Daniel, where I am from a neighbor made an offer (a serious offer) on our dog (family pet) so he could use it for a wedding ceremony that weekend. I doubt that a dog would even stand a chance on Pluto

I wouldn't make an argument if it were not valid in my case, where it is 100% legal to kill any animal except the Samoan flying fox.

Nationality
    [United States]

100 bucks says Krypto and Wonder Dog would beat the dogs on earth up

15. This member thanks poison for this post:

Cap10Squirty

I don't have $100 to bet now that I've spent it on silkworms and roaches. >.<

Nationality
    [United States]

What what does in that video I do not agree with, live feedings I'm fine with but that wasn't "natural" for reasons already stated.

This is a purely personal point though, my main problem is that it was recorded and his reasoning for doing it. If someone bred something similar as a food source and did it in private I really don't think I'd care much, I wouldn't breed Chameleons for that purpose but as long as the person is breeding them with a certain intent, I'm fine with it. But killing something off because your couldn't care for it properly is just wrong, and then you go and record it? No. That's just disturbing to me.

18. 2 members thank Hellsrage for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsrage View Post
    What what does in that video I do not agree with, live feedings I'm fine with but that wasn't "natural" for reasons already stated.

This is a purely personal point though, my main problem is that it was recorded and his reasoning for doing it. If someone bred something similar as a food source and did it in private I really don't think I'd care much, I wouldn't breed Chameleons for that purpose but as long as the person is breeding them with a certain intent, I'm fine with it. But killing something off because your couldn't care for it properly is just wrong, and then you go and record it? No. That's just disturbing to me.
    And a clear sign that you are not ready to be an owner.
    What is going to happen when his frog becomes ill or they can't take care of it, which has probably already begun. As said, look at that water quality in the dish, it looks like coffee.
    Also there is a difference in showing how to do a live feeding with an appropriate animal for the animal you're feeding. I feel that is okay. But just don't something to get a rise out of people, AGAIN shows you probably shouldn't have a pet OR aren't mentally sound (or even both!).
    ~children~
    Ксениа, a beautiful yet mischievous calico cat.
    Cecil & Carlos, two active and growing little froglettes

20. This member thanks LeClownBlanc for this post:

SCF

Great points everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information