Thread: My fire belly toads won't eat. HELP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    annaliese

Default My fire belly toads won't eat. HELP!

I cleaned by fire belly toads' cage last Saturday (11-9-13) When I cleaned it I added a small mist maker. They seem to like it. They have also been very active. They climb and do everything that they usually do. The day I cleaned their cage I added a couple crickets. They were feed the day before, so when they didn't eat the crickets I added after I cleaned their cage I just assumed they were not hungry. After still not eating the crickets, I added more yesterday thinking the new ones would get their attention. They still have not eaten. The only things I have done differently is added the mist maker and I am using different calcium powder. I got it from the health food store and it is dissolves in water, I use it about once every other week, but it doesn't stick to the crickets very well. I live in northern Illinois and the weather has been changing. I went to my pet store today, to buy rep-cal calcium, and they told me that many of their regular cricket buyers are buying less that half of their regular amount due to their frogs and toads slowing down on eating. She also told me that fire bellies hibernate in the winter and she had a customer tell her that her fire bellies dug under in coconut fiber. I have read many things about fire bellies and I have never heard that they hibernate.

Are they not eating because I am doing something wrong?
    Do they really hibernate?
    I am worried that they aren't getting the calcium they need due to not eating. Could I put the calcium that is dissolvable in their water?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My fire belly toads won't eat. HELP!

Some times they will hibernate or eat less if the tempetures get low. I would see if the tempatures are still warm enofe.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Annaliese any updates on your firebellies? We are located in Illinois also and our firebellies slow down a bit and the younger ones remain active through the winter. Make sure your temps are kept up. I would not recommend adding calcium or vitamins to water as this quickly encourages bacterial growth. I would instead as we do dust the calcium a bit more than once a week to compensate for most of it falling and washing off.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

annaliese

They still have not eaten, if they have it was very little because there are still crickets in the tank. However they are more active than usual. My temps and humidity haven't changed. I'm worried. I know it can cause major long term problems.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Annaliese! Leaving crickets in a frog enclosure "until eaten" is not a good idea. Crickets nutritional value depends lots on their "gut load" and if left without food for long that value decreases over time. Also, hungry crickets will pester and even bite a frog.

If you think something might be amiss in their enclosure, please answer the below questions and we can look for any possible problems. Also, here is an excellent guide to their care: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives. Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

annaliese

I don't usually leave them in there. I just want them to eat

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Thread Information