Thread: Filter on = Gas Bubble Disease???

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Filter on = Gas Bubble Disease???

I recently saw somewhere that leaving your filter on can cause gas bubble disease in your frogs. W

I had only thought it was gotten through airstones!

The filter I am using is a tetra ex 20, that has a nice little attachment at the end to prevent any curious frog mis-adventures
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Filter on = Gas Bubble Disease???

Hi Eli

Gas bubble disease is a noninfectious syndrome seen in aquatic frogs when the water is supersaturated with gasses such as nitrogen and argon. Symptoms include buoyancy problems, very tiny bubbles in skin and foot webbing, hemorrhages, and loss of mucous coat. Generally most frogs will recover when the water problems are corrected. However, recovered frogs may not be ideal for breeding.

How do I know if the water is supersaturated? Look for tiny bubbles in the water or sides of the tank. The color of the water may turn milky-white. Excessive nitrogen can cause health problems.

How do you correct the problem? The water must be degassed. It is the process that creates a large interface between water and air. This is achived through the process of aeration (mixing water and air). Air stones or low-output filters are used to increase the water-air interface that allows the gasses to escape to the atmosphere.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

4. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Filter on = Gas Bubble Disease???

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Hi Eli

Gas bubble disease is a noninfectious syndrome seen in aquatic frogs when the water is supersaturated with gasses such as nitrogen and argon. Symptoms include buoyancy problems, very tiny bubbles in skin and foot webbing, hemorrhages, and loss of mucous coat. Generally most frogs will recover when the water problems are corrected. However, recovered frogs may not be ideal for breeding.

How do I know if the water is supersaturated? Look for tiny bubbles in the water or sides of the tank. The color of the water may turn milky-white. Excessive nitrogen can cause health problems.

How do you correct the problem? The water must be degassed. It is the process that creates a large interface between water and air. This is achived through the process of aeration (mixing water and air). Air stones or low-output filters are used to increase the water-air interface that allows the gasses to escape to the atmosphere.
    Yeah, I don't think that my filter is causing that. The day before I added my frogs there were some bubbles in the tank, but they naturally disappeared. No buoyancy problems, no abnormal behavior, or anything. Just normal frog behavior!

Perhaps I misread that site, because my filter hasn't been over-saturating the water what so ever.
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

Thread Information