Thread: My dumpy is calling

missclick

Question My dumpy is calling

So every night when my dumpy wakes up he/she 'ribbits' for a few minutes. I read somewhere that both male and female dumpys will call but im not sure...Im guessing it is some kind of territorial call. I also got him/her to respond with a call by playing a sound clip from youtube of other dumpys calling.

Do only males call?

on a side note, my kaloula pulchra had dug a 6 inch tunnel across his/her terrarium and "hisses" at me every time i open the lid

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: My dumpy is calling

As far as I know female White's treefrogs do not call. I have heard some make claims that they, but no one has yet to prove it to me. The only species that I know of that the female also calls is the African clawed frog, Xenopus laevis. I would assume the rest of the genus does as well.

Skulldroog

When I mist my white's tank, Titan, the bigger of the two male dumpies I have, starts calling when my spray bottle gets low and makes this weird noise. He always starts calling. It was kinda strange at first, but I guess it's all natural lol.

missclick

It appears they react to certain sounds, there's alot of videos on youtube and the person filming just mimics a frog croaking and the dumpys respond by calling. I also noticed my dumpy likes to "sing along" with some music like techno haha very cute

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Your right Kat, My Tree frogs respond to different sounds to. My Tree frogs that are outside start croaking when I mow the lawn. My Southern Bells start up when my partner mimics them and my Green & Golden Bells love music.

My Green and Golden bell females do make a slight croaking noise if the Male is climbing on them. Its not full on croaking, it's not as loud as the males and it's a softer sound. Its the female telling the Male to leave her alone I reckon. Im not sure if Dumpy frogs do this though.

Thread Information