Thread: American Green Tree Frog HELP (possible skin discoloration??!?!?!?!)) HELP!!!!!

newbie2013

Default American Green Tree Frog HELP (possible skin discoloration??!?!?!?!)) HELP!!!!!

Here's a little back story, my neighbors were vacationing in South Carolina and were unpacking their car when they found a stowaway in their luggage. Being the good neighbor and not wanting the frog to be stuck in the Pennsylvania winter, I took him off their hands and set up a nice little habitat for him. His name is Balls because he has a pretty big set for taking a permanent vacation from SC to Pennsylvania.

His housing is an 18x18x18 enclosure with coconut husk as the substrate. I currently have a 100w CHE and Fluorescent 13w bulb. The CHE pretty much runs all day and keeps the enclosure around 68-70 degrees all day and night (normal house temp is quite cold during the day and gets to about 66-68 once we return from work) I run the fluorescent light 10-12 hours per day.

In the past 2 days I noticed his skin is turning a grayish color yet nothing has changed in his housing or feeding schedule or anything. I typically feed him approximately 15-20 medium sized crickets per week, dusted with a calcium supplement. The humidity is typically around 50%.

I have googled everything under the sun and can't figure out if his skin color is normal or not. He was a vibrant bright green and it would change depending on what he would sit on to a darker green color, but the color he is now seems suspect to me.

I have attached pictures, can someone please please please tell me if this is normal or not? The 3rd picture is just a snapshot of his housing. The other 3 show his possible discoloration.

Name:  IMAG0307.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  70.9 KBName:  IMAG0306.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  59.8 KBName:  IMAG0308.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  82.3 KBName:  IMAG0305.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  57.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help with green tree frog skin color?

How long have you had the frog? It looks more or less like one of the skin colours mine likes to put on- (these are all the same frog) UncleChester's Album: Green Treefrog I do find mine tends to put on the brighter greens at night and the duller brownish colours in the day.

Your humidity seems a little low...live plants and more misting can help with this.

And, on behalf of the frog, thanks for saving it from an unwise northern trip.

newbie2013

I've had him 3 months now, but this is the darkest I have ever seen him. Do they get darker in winter time? What's the best humidity? I tend to find conflicting suggestions online. Also, is my temperature okay? Sorry for so many questions, I'm new to this. Just to add, his appetite hasn't changed and he is fairly active. Typically under the fluorescent during the day and catch him all over various times during the night. Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF ! Please do not create multiple threads for same issue in different forum areas. It creates confusion, so I've merged them three into one and deleted the extra postings.

Answering the below questions can help o identify any problem. As Brian mentioned; GTFs do change skin color. The temperature should be between 72-80F for day drooping up to 65F at night. Ventilation is important and humidity can be 50-65%.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

He looks good, mine go from bright lime green to almost black pending where they are sitting. Also I would jack up the temps and humidity a little. Here's a great care sheet on these. Amphibian Care >> Green Tree Frog (Hyla cinerea) Care
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2013 View Post
    I've had him 3 months now, but this is the darkest I have ever seen him. Do they get darker in winter time? What's the best humidity? I tend to find conflicting suggestions online. Also, is my temperature okay? Sorry for so many questions, I'm new to this. Just to add, his appetite hasn't changed and he is fairly active. Typically under the fluorescent during the day and catch him all over various times during the night. Thanks again!
    Cooler temps from winter can affect the colour. You're probably getting more temperature fluctuations with the house heat coming on and off. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Your cage temperatures are fine imo, but a few more degrees won't hurt.

I usually aim for closer to 70% humidity but I don't think they're super fussy. I mostly go by the frog. If I find mine seeking water by pressing into the moist soil, I know it's time to mist more (mines pool almost never gets used).

Activity and appetite sound great

Thread Information