Thread: My frogs don't feel sticky anymore??

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default My frogs don't feel sticky anymore??

I started noticing yesterday that the skin of my two dumpies don't feel as it should. It's pretty dry, and even when I mist them it doesn't have that sticky feel that they usually have. It's a bit like how it is right before they shed.
    Nothing in the enclosure has been changed, except that I put in a piece of cork bark a couple of days ago (which had been in the freezer for more than 2 weeks).
    The past couple of weeks both frogs has been shedding a lot. They live in a glass viv with live plants, moss etc. and have the accurate humidity.

What could be wrong? Chytrid??

I'm going to the vet tomorrow to check a sample for another frog and thinking of bringing these two along.
    1.0.1 Litoria Caerulea (Yoghurt and Jelly)
    3.1.0 Leptopelis Uluguruensis

+ geckos, tortoises, a cat and lots of bugs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Re: My frogs don't feel sticky anymore??

I can add that their lack of stickiness also makes it difficult for them to climb. I've seen them losing grip and falling several times in their enclosure when they've tried to climb on the glass

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Nationality
    [United States]

I would bring them just in case...
    Also, please fill out the info in this thread, it will help see if there are any other issues that could be causing this problem!
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=14323

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by CatEyeLeachie View Post
    I started noticing yesterday that the skin of my two dumpies don't feel as it should. It's pretty dry, and even when I mist them it doesn't have that sticky feel that they usually have. It's a bit like how it is right before they shed.
    Nothing in the enclosure has been changed, except that I put in a piece of cork bark a couple of days ago (which had been in the freezer for more than 2 weeks).
    The past couple of weeks both frogs has been shedding a lot. They live in a glass viv with live plants, moss etc. and have the accurate humidity.

What could be wrong? Chytrid??

I'm going to the vet tomorrow to check a sample for another frog and thinking of bringing these two along.
    Quote Originally Posted by CatEyeLeachie View Post
    I can add that their lack of stickiness also makes it difficult for them to climb. I've seen them losing grip and falling several times in their enclosure when they've tried to climb on the glass

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
    Freezing cork is not a substitute for boiling during 10 minutes or baking at 250F for one hour. The combination of symptoms you mention when all enclosure parameters are correct (presuming that until you post answers to questions Bruce linked) do warrant a check up with veterinary.

Note in your signature you keep L. uluguruensis. Those are all wild caught and have been known to carry Chytrid. Did you quarantine that frog, had it tested for Chytrid, and kept it's enclosure far away (i.e. not in same room and floor if possible) from the rest of your collection? Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Sweden]

1-size of enclosure 90(height)x60x40 cm
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?) Only these two L. Caerulea (similar size)
    3-humidity 70-80 %
    4-temp 25° C
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish Tap water (where I live it's clean and safe to use)
    6-materials used for substrate Different types of moss
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv Branches, cork bark, live plants, 1 fake plant, water bowl. The branches and moss come from the outside. All things except the cork bark have been in the enclosure for a very long time so they probably aren't what's causing the problem.
    8-main food source Crickets, mealworms and dubias
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often ) Nutrobal dusted on food about 3 times a week. Sometimes Repti-Cal.
    10-lighting No additional lighting
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure? The whole room where they are kept normally has this temperature, so I have no additional heating source in the vivarium.
    12-when is the last time he ate They eat every day and have no problem with the appetite.
    13-have you found poop lately A little.
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog Both are a little more than two years.
    16-how long have you owned him Two years.
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred Both are CB.
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats They sometimes get grasshoppers and moths.
    19- about how often the frog is handled Everyday when I put them into the feeding box. (with washed hands)
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area Low traffic.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Freezing cork is not a substitute for boiling during 10 minutes or baking at 250F for one hour. The combination of symptoms you mention when all enclosure parameters are correct (presuming that until you post answers to questions Bruce linked) do warrant a check up with veterinary.

Note in your signature you keep L. uluguruensis. Those are all wild caught and have been known to carry Chytrid. Did you quarantine that frog, had it tested for Chytrid, and kept it's enclosure far away (i.e. not in same room and floor if possible) from the rest of your collection? Good luck !
    I've been very careful and always washing hands etc. between enclosures, but both species has been kept in the same room. I live with my parents so there was no other possible way.
    The L. Uluguruensis was in bad shape when I got him. He had both worms and protozoa which I've been treating him for, but the treatment for protozoa was unsuccessful so my vet is currently trying to figure out what treatment to try next. It doesn't seem like my other frogs has been contaminated by the parasites though (the vet looked at it today).
    I have not tested the Uluguruensis for chytrid, and he shows no signs of it but it's of course possible that he is a carrier. It's because of him I immediately suspected the other frogs may have gotten chytrid.

So I brought the frogs to the vet today and they took some swabs that they're going to send to the lab. The result will come sometime during next week. When I was there one of the L. Caerulea looked like having red leg, but it didn't look as bad when I got home. That frog was also really upset and croaked all the time when vet was handling him, so I dunno if he was just uncomfortable in the situation or if it was else that also bothered him.

I'm so grateful for your help guys!

Nationality
    [United States]

No matter what authorities report about your tap being safe for human use; myself would treat it with Seachem Prime or similar. Those symptoms also correspond to Toxic Out Syndrome (TOS) and your tap could be the cause of it.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I would still treat your tap water. I have an 800+ foot well, and I still treat mine. A few drops of reptisafe for peace of mind? Works for me...

Thread Information