Hello, I have had this American toad about 2 months now. I cought it in thw wild and it's about 4.5" big. I think it's a female being so big with comparetively thin arms.

It was doing quite well at first, hopping around exploring the tank and such. But in the past 2 weeks or so it started burrowing itself for a long time at one corner and moved much less than before. Also it makes a sort of ticking noise, much like the lower pitch sound in the background in in this video (not the high pitched one, there are 2 sounds going on in the video) american toads making noise - YouTube.

From a few other forum post it seems like it could be a distress call? I'm worried about it.

When I first got the toad I fed it many things I found in my backyard -- earth worms, pill bugs, grasshoppers, slugs, even grubs sometimes. But about 2 weeks ago that it's cold and snowing I can't find any bugs out so I started dumping about 20 crickets every weekend. I wonder if this is making it unhappy somehow? But it still eats a lot. Except it seems to not want to move at all now and only wait for the food to come to itself at the same spot most of the time...

I put a ton of coconut fiber in the tank making sure it has enough to burrow itself. And that also makes it hard for me to know if it poops frequently or not. So I'm also wondering if my toad is having some digestive problems... because... I really wouldn't know. Last time I saw a poop was a almost 3 weeks ago and it was huge. How do you check if the toad is pooping okay? I don't want to look around in the tank since the toad would be annoyed by me.

On a possibly related note, the toad doesn't seem to go to the water dish at all, but it might be due to the fact that the dish/bowl doesn't have a nice curve and it's 3" deep so it's basically like a hole. I should probably swap that out too. (I picked that thinking the toad would like a nice soak and it was the only dish I found that's not too shallow) I do spray/rain water on the toad at least once every day.

Any clue on what is making my toad unhappy? All help appreciated.