Thread: Dumpy Moving Up

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dumpy Moving Up

Hi, it has been a while, but my dumpy treefrog has grown a lot, and its time for a new tank. It is just one male and I'm not planning on getting another (though I would like the option to keep one more female if I could later on). So I want to get an exoterra tall terrarium for him. What would the minimum size for him alone be? (and the size if I got another). Also what is the best way to make a waterfall or running water system for the terrarium? Thank you in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dumpy Moving Up

As big as you can get. I have 3 in the Exo Terra 36 x 18 x 36, and you're looking for as tall as you can find. I would not go any small than a 24 inch high since their natural instinct is to be high. And letting them use their natural instincts makes for a happy healthy frog. Can't help you with the water issues since I'm to paranoid using something like that.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

maxQ

Alex, I cant believe how quickly they grow. My guys have tripled in size and Its time for me to go bigger also. Ive been working on a setup the last few weeks so that I can move my guys by this weekend. As Gail said, go big or stay home...LOL

I also want a water feature but I want simplicity so I am thinking about going with a self contained waterfall, something like this here but I am still undecided.

Good Luck

Hagen Exo-Terra Waterfall With Pump Reptile Waterfalls

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dumpy Moving Up

You can also build your own waterfall out of great stuff foam, wood, rock wall, almost anything really. You'll need a good strong pump and a false bottom of some sort.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

maxQ

Well I upgraded and moved my Whites Tree Frog's, (Forney, Leon and Kevin) up to the East Side today. It had to be done, they grew so fast. They have it made, heck they have it better than me, Im still waiting for someone to clean the empty Pizza Boxes from my Refrigerator. Anyway, the move went well and they are a little confused, interested and even stressed but Im sure they will relax shortly and realize how much more room they now have. (6 inches all around)

Nationality
    [United States]

If you are considering adding a female in future; it's better to get an enclosure that would fit both now, than to get a smaller one and upgrade latter. An ET Medium Tall or Extra-Tall would be minimum size myself would consider for a pair. An enclosure like Gail's would be a palace for the lucky pair.

In regard to waterfall; you would build it with a water pump in a false bottom and plumbing to raise water to your "rock wall" as Heather mentioned. For ideas visit the vivarium section where can find many build articles including Bill's build-ups. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm considering the zoomed 18x18x18 and would construct a false bottom with a stream/waterfall running through it. Do you think that would suffice? Also Carlos, I notice you have an african bullfrog in your picture. I just recently got a little hatchling who is adorable and is growing SOOOO fast, I had no idea of their growth rate. Do you know what sex yours is? and/or when you would be able to tell. I hope mine is a male

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    I'm considering the zoomed 18x18x18 and would construct a false bottom with a stream/waterfall running through it. Do you think that would suffice? Also Carlos, I notice you have an african bullfrog in your picture. I just recently got a little hatchling who is adorable and is growing SOOOO fast, I had no idea of their growth rate. Do you know what sex yours is? and/or when you would be able to tell. I hope mine is a male
    Think 24 in. is the lowest would go for a White. If you think about it, the false bottom is going to take a few inches so the 18 in. height could easily become the 15 in. height or even less.

The frog in my avatar pic is Stilgar, a male GABF I had last year. Currently have a little male Pixie named Duncan with both Giant and Dwarf characteristics. You can usually tell sex at around 4 in. in length or if a male and it calls.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information