Thread: New to fire bellies

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default New to fire bellies

I was thinking about setting up an exo terra tank for some fire belly toads. The tank would be a 24"L x 12"H x 18"D and was how many could 'comfortably and happily' housed in that size? My local pet store setup a beautiful tank with them a while ago in an exo terra that had a pond on it and branches. Although now that I think of it they shouldn't have put a little fish in the water and I heard its best not to house them with what I think were fire newts. Did a little google digging that led back here to a post that said they can't be housed with any other type of amphibian right? TY

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

maxQ

Default Re: New to fire bellies

There are some great ideas for set up in our Viv Section. your right, they shouldn't be housed with other types of amphibians due to a toxin that they excrete. But I have seen people have newts in with them in aquatic set ups. I have a 20 L aquatic with 5 FBT's and they seem pretty happy. I do have two guppies in my tank with them that hitched rides with my plants and they have grown and they live great together. I was always told that most FBT's will not eat anything out of the water, but I cant confirm that.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Think 6-8 FBTs in ET Small Low would be fine with lot's of space to explore. Myself don't think mixing frogs with anything other than themselves is a good idea; but there are rare instances of set-ups that do so like Gary stated. If interested in building a wet/dry set-up, do visit the article section and look at those describing how to build a false bottom or one of Bill's excellent thread's. Also, here is a nice article on FBTs care: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

For the most part it is best to keep kind with kind, however there are some species (arboreal that I am thinking of) that are immune to fire bellies toxin although your tank is probably too small too house them comfortably. Pertaining to fish in the water. I also had some baby guppies hatch probably from plants in the 6 inches or so of water I have with my firebellies-I have seen at least two of my toads fish crickets and guppies from the water. A woman at the pet store told me she uses guppies and white clouds as feeders and also some of her toads will fish them from water. =)
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks guys. I read to that green tree frogs are immune to their toxins, but I don't think I'll chance it.

rainvenezia

I have always housed tree frogs and FB together and have never had a problem. However I have several levels in my tank and they tend to stay separated even when feeding. It is not recommended though, I may just be lucky

Nationality
    [United States]

Hyla Cinera is immune to firebelly toxin. If you have an arboreal tank with a water portion these two will be able to stay in their own territories. I have seen some evidence that Hyla versicolor may also be immune although not with enough certainty. While other species may "Seem" to work, one can never be certain about low levels of toxin accumulating and causing cumulative damage and shortening the life of that other specie.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Thread Information