Thread: new fire belly frogger needs help!

Amy Adams

Default new fire belly frogger needs help!

I am a beginner. I have 4 Fire Bellies in a 39 gal terrarium with a waterfall. 3 inches of water and a hiding log. The temp is set around 70-75, the humidity is between 40-50%. I feed every two days. These guys are crunched in the corner of the terrarium on top of each other. they rarely get in the water. Whats up!? Help!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new fire belly frogger needs help!

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Adams View Post
    I am a beginner. I have 4 Fire Bellies in a 39 gal terrarium with a waterfall. 3 inches of water and a hiding log. The temp is set around 70-75, the humidity is between 40-50%. I feed every two days. These guys are crunched in the corner of the terrarium on top of each other. they rarely get in the water. Whats up!? Help!!!
    Do you use a dechlorinater? I do and it stops ammonia from building up in the water as well as removing chlorine and chloromine. That could be the problem.

Amy Adams

Default Fire Belly's need help!

They just pile on top of each other in the corner of the tank. Not much activity. use RO water. I have a waterfall filter and lots of plants. I also have some feeder guppies in there for a snack (they are not interested in them though) The temp is a little low @ 68-70, the water is 75. They eat just fine but the color is not good on them. They dont appear to have any sickness just the huddle-corner thing. They used to be just fine, before the remodel of the tank. When i put them back in they hid in the cave and then migrated to the corner. I am worried and want some answers for these little guys.

Amy Adams

I use RO water. THer are guppies for a snack. SHould i remove them? I am so worried. They have an appetite but dont move. Temp @ 68-72 water temp @ 75. Lots of live plants are there some I shouldnt have added? Please help!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

R/O water is bad for frogs (draws minerals out like distilled water); so no wonder they are staying out. You need to replace it with dechlorinated (Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize) tap water as soon as possible Amy. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Amy Adams

Shoud I do a complete water change? will it shock them? Or a partial? Do you think the guppies are creating too much amonia?
    Thank you so much for your help!
    Last edited by Mentat; February 18th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Amy - Firebellied toads do not like deep water. I have mine in 2 inches sloping down to 3 inches but they have many places to cling to and they love it. A rock fountain/ filter is in one corner, and it slopes up to a bank. I have 4 breeding pairs that are very happy and breed all the time! They just need to have the water lowered and have many places to hang out. Good luck! Sounds like a fun enclosure!

Amy Adams

I am still worried about these guys. they have tons of river rocks and they can just touch the bottom with head above water. This all started when i remodeled and added a hood for higher humidity. where do you keep your temp/humidity? I will post some pics when i get home. I changed the water today and im waiting for some positive results. but one guy is desperately trying to escape....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They don't need excess humidity, mine do fine with a screen top with a light on top.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Adams View Post
    Shoud I do a complete water change? will it shock them? Or a partial? Do you think the guppies are creating too much amonia?
    Thank you so much for your help!
    Myself would do a complete water change with same temperature and pH water. All organisms will create ammonia in the water; so yes fish will do so. Still; not sure what do you mean by "too much ammonia." If you do not have a filter recommend changing 25% of the volume daily. With a mature filter you can do a 25% weekly .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Amy Adams

The little guys are doing much better. Out of the corner!!! Thank you all for the helpful tips. You saved my froggies!!

Thread Information