Thread: Heating

Niima

Question Heating

I have realized one petsmart/petco does NOT know what the other one is doing...(no offense to people that work there)

But, I have had a heating lamp for my three FBTs for about a year now, I don't have the stand, it just lays on the top of the tank topper. (this might not be best, but I can never find the stand)

I went to petsmart a few days ago and was told this was wrong, that I should have a "heating mat" for them. She explained it by the heat lamp dries them out. Which I understand. But she pointed me out to a "All living things heating mat"

It says it's not designed for use with water in any way.

"Or any other situation where there is any water (with or without gravel)"

I have a glass tank that has gravel at the bottom and a pond of water,*they like it like that* and even with that small little pond, all most all of the gravel is moist and I can see water throughout.

So I don't know what to do. Discard it? Try it? I don't really feel comfortable with it, but I want to know what others think

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ejh805

Default Re: Heating

You put it on the outside of the tank, not the inside. So it should be fine.
    The warning probably pertains to submerging it in water or placing it somewhere that it would get wet.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I have never really liked using heat mats. I think you should stick with the heat bulb. If you think about it in nature the sun heats everything. The ground doesn't magically warm up so you are doing things fine already in my opinion.

5. This member thanks Truffs1178 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Niima View Post
    ...But, I have had a heating lamp for my three FBTs for about a year now, I don't have the stand, it just lays on the top of the tank topper. (this might not be best, but I can never find the stand)

I went to petsmart a few days ago and was told this was wrong, that I should have a "heating mat" for them. She explained it by the heat lamp dries them out. Which I understand. But she pointed me out to a "All living things heating mat" ...So I don't know what to do. Discard it? Try it? I don't really feel comfortable with it, but I want to know what others think
    Hello Nilma ! Petsmart and similar store salesmen are there to make a sale, it's their job! Also, stores train employees in order to make sales, period. Many times their amphibian care procedures are incorrect (wrong substrate, etc.). Here is a good article on FBT's care: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives .

A heating light bulb or ceramic emitter of the appropriate wattage will dry the air a bit; but that is the reason we use hygrometers and maintain a proper humidity level for our frogs with manual and automatic spraying or the use of humidifiers. Frogs will not dry up unless you put a high wattage lamp exceeding the enclosure requirements and do nothing to control humidity. By the way, my domes or light fixtures are right on top of screen cover with no issues and have never used a light stand.

If you got the heat mat recently, do not like it, and have the sales ticket, take it back. Heat mats can't be used under frog tanks, are extremely inefficient when attached to an enclosure side, and there is the possibility the glass will shatter if water splashes on a hot glass pane. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

7. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Niima

Quote Originally Posted by ejh805 View Post
    You put it on the outside of the tank, not the inside. So it should be fine.
    The warning probably pertains to submerging it in water or placing it somewhere that it would get wet.
    So basically attach it to the outside bottom?

Niima

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello Nilma ! Petsmart and similar store salesmen are there to make a sale, it's their job! Also, stores train employees in order to make sales, period. Many times their amphibian care procedures are incorrect (wrong substrate, etc.). Here is a good article on FBT's care: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives .

A heating light bulb or ceramic emitter of the appropriate wattage will dry the air a bit; but that is the reason we use hygrometers and maintain a proper humidity level for our frogs with manual and automatic spraying or the use of humidifiers. Frogs will not dry up unless you put a high wattage lamp exceeding the enclosure requirements and do nothing to control humidity. By the way, my domes or light fixtures are right on top of screen cover with no issues and have never used a light stand.

If you got the heat mat recently, do not like it, and have the sales ticket, take it back. Heat mats can't be used under frog tanks, are extremely inefficient when attached to an enclosure side, and there is the possibility the glass will shatter if water splashes on a hot glass pane. Good luck!
    Thank you, as of right now, I have a red bulb in their container, (I have a ten gallon tank for them) and it's a 75 watt bulb (which is what I was told.) I don't have a hygrometer, can I find that at a petsmart? I really need to spray them regularly, I've been slacking a bit.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Niima View Post
    Thank you, as of right now, I have a red bulb in their container, (I have a ten gallon tank for them) and it's a 75 watt bulb (which is what I was told.) I don't have a hygrometer, can I find that at a petsmart? I really need to spray them regularly, I've been slacking a bit.
    This digital combo meter is what I use. If the 75W bulb maintains required temp in enclosure then you are fine. If you need to adjust it's output will need a controller; either a manual rheostat or an auto thermostat.

Recommend get combo or hygrometer ASAP. Once you have it, if need to raise humidity can use aluminum foil to cover the top metal screen partially. What I do is cover the whole top; then using a sharpie marker place light fixture on top and make an outline. Then using scissors cut the opening just a bit larger than light (maybe an inch around it). That will raise the humidity and will probably work with one or two sprayings a day .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

11. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Niima

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Recommend get combo or hygrometer ASAP. Once you have it, if need to raise humidity can use aluminum foil to cover the top metal screen partially. What I do is cover the whole top; then using a sharpie marker place light fixture on top and make an outline. Then using scissors cut the opening just a bit larger than light (maybe an inch around it). That will raise the humidity and will probably work with one or two sprayings a day .
    Thank you, I'm planing on heading to petsmart tomorrow, so hopefully it's not to pricey. That and a new sprayer. Normally they don't have a problem with being moist, more they feel cold at times. And even if I leave the lamp on the tank only gets to 75 degrees.

Amy Adams

Ive researched and found that 75 degrees is about right for the daytime, and a little lower temp at night. That is where I keep my guys and they seem to be happy.

Thread Information