Thread: retf egg clutches not sticking to glass

mrzoggs

Default retf egg clutches not sticking to glass

Twice now my female has laid a clutch of eggs on the side of the glass. They are all fertile and about 4 days after she lays them they fall.... I have no idea what to do about it. I am not even trying to breed them. They are not in a rain chamber. Just in the new viv I built for them. I set up a Tupperware under them to catch them this time thinking they weren't going to fall like the first time. They ended up falling in the Tupperware unexpectedly tonight so I have a clutch of about 45 premature tadpoles sitting in the water... They probably wont make it since they are in the water a few days early. I either need to fix this problem or remove my female from the viv. I cannot handle watching tadpoles struggle inside their egg jelly laying in the water... You can even see their heart beat if you look close. Anyone ever had this problem?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Croakin

Default Re: retf egg clutches not sticking to glass

Quote Originally Posted by mrzoggs View Post
    Twice now my female has laid a clutch of eggs on the side of the glass. They are all fertile and about 4 days after she lays them they fall.... I have no idea what to do about it. I am not even trying to breed them. They are not in a rain chamber. Just in the new viv I built for them. I set up a Tupperware under them to catch them this time thinking they weren't going to fall like the first time. They ended up falling in the Tupperware unexpectedly tonight so I have a clutch of about 45 premature tadpoles sitting in the water... They probably wont make it since they are in the water a few days early. I either need to fix this problem or remove my female from the viv. I cannot handle watching tadpoles struggle inside their egg jelly laying in the water... You can even see their heart beat if you look close. Anyone ever had this problem?
    How is your viv set up? Can you post a photo? What's your humidity?

mrzoggs

Humidity might be a tad high. I haven't drilled the glass yet but it is not full inclosed due to the thick pump wire coming out of the corner which gives it some air flow and lets humidity out. Maybe the condensation on the glass makes it hard for them to stick? The tank hasn't grown in enough for leaves to be overhanging the water so glass is her only option at the moment. If she keeps breeding like this, I am probably going to remove her. I don't want her to pass from over breeding and I am not purposely doing anything to create breeding conditions in there.

mrzoggs

That was a Saran Wrap lid in the picture. It is glass now. Just not fit in perfectly with the wire so there's a nice gap around one half of the tank. Too small for them to get out though.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I was about to say..humidity will liquify the jelly around the eggs...causing it to fall.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by mrzoggs View Post

Humidity might be a tad high. I haven't drilled the glass yet but it is not full inclosed due to the thick pump wire coming out of the corner which gives it some air flow and lets humidity out. Maybe the condensation on the glass makes it hard for them to stick? The tank hasn't grown in enough for leaves to be overhanging the water so glass is her only option at the moment. If she keeps breeding like this, I am probably going to remove her. I don't want her to pass from over breeding and I am not purposely doing anything to create breeding conditions in there.

The large water hole you have will cause excessive breeding.. All red eyes need is a barameter pressure drop and and good humidity levels and they will lay eggs. Also the glass lid will lock in all that humidity. You really need screen for tree frogs...ventilation is far more important than dart frogs. Glass lids are meant for dart frogs or fish.

Thread Information