Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian White's Tree Frog...

Beardo

Default Australian White's Tree Frog...

Picked this juvenile male (he's been calling every night for the last couple weeks) up at the Tinley NARBC show from Rainforest Junkys and thought I'd show him off.

On the way home from the show he decided to make a break out of his deli cup for some window gazing:

Was cleaning his enclosure today & noticed he had this cool half and half coloration going on....

And for the Walking Dead fans out there, here he is as a Zombie Frog lol!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

maxQ

Default Re: Australian White's Tree Frog...

Handsome guy indeed, especially as The Walker Frog. I was just looking at my 3 Whites tonight thinking about how much they grew, when I got them they were the size of a Quarter and now they are big ole fatties.

4. This member thanks maxQ for this post:

Beardo

You should posy some more pics of them! This is my first CB White's, so I'm looking forward to seeing him grow up....all the other WTF I've had before were Indonesian imports.

maxQ

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    You should posy some more pics of them! This is my first CB White's, so I'm looking forward to seeing him grow up....all the other WTF I've had before were Indonesian imports.
    LOL, I am a picture fanatic, there are tons of pictures in my Album in my profile.

http://www.frogforum.net/members/max...ree-frogs.html

7. This member thanks maxQ for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

We were also at the Tinley Park NARBC show earlier this month and were tempted to add more White's, we reluctantly passed up the opportunity for Aussie and Indo both until we can redo the enclosure. If this is your first White's may I suggest adding another soon, they love to play at night with each other.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

9. This member thanks Ash for this post:

Beardo

No, I've kept plenty of other White's before, just not Aussies.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    If this is your first White's may I suggest adding another soon, they love to play at night with each other.
    Hi, I would have to disagree. Frogs do not like to "play" (I'm guessing you mean socialize or something along those lines). Though in the wild you may find frogs of the same species together this is not because they injoy each others company but because of the resouces in the area. Such as food, water and temps or breeding depending on the time of year. Frogs are solitary creatures by definition. Though they may not mind each others presence and can do just fine if the enclosure is fit for 2, keeping them together in capticvity is more for the keepers injoyment rather then the frogs unless your breeding.

12. This member thanks poison for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Now back to the frog.

That is a very beautiful specimen, David. I love his color in the first pic.

How do I get that walking dead app?

14. This member thanks poison for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Although I would not call it playing; there are frog species (including White's) that actually do better in captivity when interacting in uncrowded groups .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I love The Walking Dead and I have to say that zombie frog is scary but very cute when not a zombie and very cool how his colours were half light and half dark.

17. This member thanks Truffs1178 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Although I would not call it playing; there are frog species (including White's) that actually do better in captivity when interacting in uncrowded groups .
    Any idea as to why they would do better in groups? Do you belive its a sense of comfort? In my experience. I have had tree frogs go downhill and I have had tree frogs act the exact same when keeping them in small groups. Can't really say I've noticed an improvement in communal keeping. But thats just me. Also can't really say I was looking for the improvement.

Nationality
    [United States]

"Playing" was not as specific a term as I intended. White's (when not obese) love to climb and swing from branches and plants at night. I keep a pair in my enclosure and when night viewing they resemble Spiderman as they swing around.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Nationality
    [United States]

David I'm glad you can experience the Aussie, I would Like to experience the Indonesian Variety once I prepare my enclosure

21. This member thanks Ash for this post:

Beardo

Glad you guys like him.....he is definitely more active than I remember my other WTFs being. He changes colors a lot as well....during the day he lightens up, getting a nice turquoise blue color sometimes.

I got the App from the iTunes store on my phone.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, as you notice, the White's seem to get lighter; a nice turquoise as you said when the humidity lowers or temperature increases, which is probably why he is showing brighter during the day. As the temperatures are lower or the humidity increases they can go dark brown. My girlfriend and I really like the color variations especially the half n half pic as one of ours gets the half n half look often during the day. When he is sleeping in a mushroom ledge decoration he usually has his bottom half hidden in the recess of the ledge which is moist and mossy, and his upper portion keeping an eye on the feeding dish that serves as the sometime drop off point where treats such as dubia nymphs magically appear. Enjoy your new guy.

Nationality
    [United States]

My blue eyed turns dark during the day and bright at night. He must be color blind do to his eyes lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

David seeing your frog makes me wanna go out and get another aussie. They just grow up so fast .

26. This member thanks poison for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes not consistent always it depends on more variables than humidity and temp. Those are the most easily seen with the day to night and seasonal changes. I have been viewing mine tonight and they are back to being bright most likely attributed to removing the fiberglass that increased humidity.

Beardo

Crappy pic taken through plastic but you get a good idea of the nice blue coloration.....

Beardo

Getting more blue by the day it seems.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information