Thread: We finally got our Frogs!!!

SteveNJerry

Default We finally got our Frogs!!!

Me and my Gf brought home Steve and Jerry a dumpy white and gold tree frog here some pics!!
    On the way home

Setting Up

Me and the Crickets

All set up

Kelli's Happy

This is Steve, Jerry wasnt in the mood for a photoshoot

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

justagirl

Default Re: We finally got our Frogs!!!

Nice!

FrogFreak

Thats a cute frog...nice!

SteveNJerry

Ill see if I can ge t a pic of Jerry over the long weekend!

Kurt

Nice. They are not in the same enclosure are they?

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Nice. They are not in the same enclosure are they?
    Same question as Kurt's. Species mixing, particularly of species that don't encounter each other in the wild, is generally considered a bad idea.

Nice vivarium though - I thought you had stolen my Gray Tree Frog exo terra for about 2 seconds.

SteveNJerry

They are both in there they told us at Pets mart it would be fine they were in the same rnclosure at the store.

justin shockey

cool one of my whites looks just like yours but the other is really big and scared up she is not as cut but i think she has a face that light up a room i wish i had some pics

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNJerry View Post
    They are both in there they told us at Pets mart it would be fine they were in the same rnclosure at the store.
    Sadly pet stores give out bogus advice like that all the time. It's possible there won't be any problems but it's only fair to tell you that you're taking a risk by keeping them together. Good luck though.

Kurt

Well, you don't have to be a herpetologist to work at Petsmart. Or even a herpeculturist. Most of the employees you find in Petsmart, Petco, and most other pet stores don't know ****. Some of them just know enough to be dangerous. Now the reasons John and myself are arguing against keeping these to frogs together. Well, to start these two frogs come from two different parts of the world. The gold treefrog, Polypedates leucomystax is most like wild caught from somewhere in Southeast Asia. And so it most likely will have a gastrointestinal parasite load native to that region. White's treefrogs, Litoria caerulea come from two different sources. Larger one's are usually wild caught from the Indonesian side of New Guinea. They, too, will most likely have a GI parasite load native to that part of the world. Neither frog will have any immunity to the other's parasites. Also when the frogs are under stress the parasites bloom and possibly kill their hosts. Wild caught frog stress out real easily. The other source for White's treefrogs is captive bred Australian stock. They shouldn't have GI parasites unless they are exposed to them by someone who doesn't follow correct husbandry practices. Unfortunately, this is the kind of people that work in most pet stores.
    What one should do with all wild caught animals is bring them to a qualified veterinarian for a fecal exam and treatment. Treatment includes the use of two drugs metronidazole for protozoan parasites and fenbendazole for worms. My vet automatically treats with these two drugs to eliminate the possibility of parasites. The reason being, you can't always get a fresh fecal sample to test. So we just assume that they are there and treat for them.
    OK, now some more reasons. Many amphibians use skin toxins to protect themselves from predation. They also have permeable skin that allows the absorption of water and toxins. Your skin keeps the outside world out, theirs does not. So it is quite possible they could be poisoning each other slowly over time. That is why you should never mix amphibian species, even if they come from the same region.
    Are there exceptions to this rule? Yes, but very few. You can keep green treefrogs, Hyla cinerea and barking treefrogs, Hyla gratiosa together. They are from the same part of the world, they are closely related - same family, subfamily and genus, and they often inter breed in the wild. So I feel comfortable mixing these two together. Your two frogs are not from the same region so they never encounter each other in the wild nor do they cross breed with each other. They are in totally two different genera, Polypedates and Litoria respectively. That also puts them in totally different families all together, Rhacophoridae (Old World treefrogs) and Hylidae (typical treefrogs).
    Now a third reason, big frogs will eat small frogs. White's treefrogs can get big. Big enough to eat an adult mouse. So it is possible he may eventually eat his room mate, which would bring us back to the cross poisoning issue. I don't know if Polypedates leucomystax has skin toxins and if so how strong are they, but why take the chance
    ?

SteveNJerry

well thanks for all the info....so far there isnt a problem and hopefully there wont be, like I said they came from the exact same enclsoure at the store and there wasnt a problem there so I m not worried about it.

Kurt

OK Well good luck. Keep us informed on their progress. I do hope it works out.

SteveNJerry

So Jerry finally appeared for pics!!

Kurt

Yup, thats definitely a Polypedates leucomystax. Nice.

pillipala

cute frogs! love them
    haha
    hope i get some little guys soon

pillipala

your terrarium is pretty cool!
    how much was it???
    thinking of getting the same sort of thing.

Maya

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by pillipala View Post
    your terrarium is pretty cool!
    how much was it???
    thinking of getting the same sort of thing.
    I believe that's the small Exoterra setup (comes with "everything" you need). I have one of those. While I don't have huge complaints about it I wouldn't buy it again. Mine started leaking water from its base about a month ago (wasn't sealed correctly), the wire mesh in the top part rusts very easily - I've only had mine for two and a half months and there is visible rust, and the "vine" that comes with it continuously drops its coating everywhere so I don't use it. The setup costs about US $110.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    While I don't have huge complaints about it I wouldn't buy it again. Mine started leaking water from its base about a month ago (wasn't sealed correctly), the wire mesh in the top part rusts very easily - I've only had mine for two and a half months and there is visible rust, and the "vine" that comes with it continuously drops its coating everywhere so I don't use it.
    I would consider those complaints big enough to be huge and justified.
    Last edited by John; June 8th, 2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Yeah. I will be buying the Zilla version from now on and getting the accoutrements separately (Exoterra sold me on theirs because "everything" comes with it, including that nice light). One of these days I'm going to re-seal the inside of the terrarium myself.

Kurt

Thats easy enough.

Thread Information