Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UVA/UVB lights for tree frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default UVA/UVB lights for tree frogs?

Yes, it will. It will pass through the screen holes. Glass refracts, or bends, the light rays.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

carsona246

Default Re: UVA/UVB lights for tree frogs?

Not super scientific but the bottom has a section about UV light passing through objects. Screen works just fine with UV light, but glass/acrylic does not let UVB pass.
    UV Lighting for Reptiles: UVB in Nature - Solar Ultraviolet Light

Here's a quote on Plants/UVB from the article under tips and tricks you posted Heather.
    "Vivarium plants do not need UVB. The only time UVB lighting is necessary in a vivarium is if you are housing an animal that would benefit from it."

Nationality
    [United States]

You are right! Plants need full spectrum lighting.

Upon further research, UV lighting is not what the plants require...it is the full spectrum of light they can use. The sun provides both.

I found this easy to understand article.
    http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3155

You've got to love science .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Though full spectum lighting may be best for plants I do wanna say based off personal experience, UVB lighting has made a difference in my cages when using live plants.

Nationality
    [United States]

My growth has significantly improved in both my gecko tank and my tree frog viv. The leaves grow in so fast and the leaves are growing larger. The UVB bulbs I use also have a UVA spectrum.

I apologize for the confusion, however. I just talked my buddy about lighting for plants. His always grow like crazy. He made it very simple..he says UVA light is visible light and is what plants can use to photosynthesis.

Here is another article.
    http://www.biocontrols.com/aero65.htm#Development

carsona246

I've always been told to make sure the light I use is close to the 65000k, because that emits a larger amount of usable light for plants than other lighting options(fairly sure that was the lighting instructions for dummies version). Because I didn't really want to go into too much depth about researching light, I just went with that simplistic approach. I have never used any form of UVA/B lighting until recently and my plants have always done fairly well. Just wanted to specify that you do not need UVA lighting to keep plants in your tank, just a bulb close to 6500k.
    A large part of plant growth is also providing enough nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, as well as micro-nutrients. Without sufficient nutrients, plants will not grow well regardless of lighting, at least with aquatic plants.
    A quick google search about whether UVA adds extra benefits to plants led me to a growing sight for an illegal substance, but many users claimed that using UVA increased the potency of said substance. Maybe providing UVA add's something extra? I'll be interested to see if my plants do any better with UV lighting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information