Thread: Too much dirt?

Default Too much dirt?

My Giant african bullfrog's cage wasn't getting very warm because the weather is getting colder. In order to get my bullfrog closer to the heat, I added more dirt which is now about 5/6 inches deep.

My frog (about 6 months old) burrowed all the way down to the bottom. This is probably a dumb question, but can my frog get hurt in any way from burrowing under too much dirt?

I was searching for my frog through the dirt and it got mad and croaked! It was the craziest sound I've ever heard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

JoeMichaelBolona

Default Re: Too much dirt?

I don't think so lol I think they would never burrow themselves so low that they would hurt themselves(: 6 inches isnt that deep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMichaelBolona View Post
    I don't think so lol I think they would never burrow themselves so low that they would hurt themselves(: 6 inches isnt that deep

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure haha. Thank you. It's amazing how they can breathe under there.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby View Post
    My Giant african bullfrog's cage wasn't getting very warm because the weather is getting colder. In order to get my bullfrog closer to the heat, I added more dirt which is now about 5/6 inches deep.

My frog (about 6 months old) burrowed all the way down to the bottom. This is probably a dumb question, but can my frog get hurt in any way from burrowing under too much dirt?

I was searching for my frog through the dirt and it got mad and croaked! It was the craziest sound I've ever heard.
    No the frog will not be harmed so long as the substrate is not overly wet. They will always burrow as far as they can go if provided with deep substrate.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

y

you know you can pick-up a couple halagen under-cabinet hockey puck type lights and put them on the top of the enclosure pointing down(if you have a screen top). not only does it produce a little extra light but it pumps out alot of nice heat for the winter months. dont put them right above where he likes to sit. it might do the trick for you. i have 2 of them and i dont use any other lighting, it does everything i need.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    you know you can pick-up a couple halagen under-cabinet hockey puck type lights and put them on the top of the enclosure pointing down(if you have a screen top). not only does it produce a little extra light but it pumps out alot of nice heat for the winter months. dont put them right above where he likes to sit. it might do the trick for you. i have 2 of them and i dont use any other lighting, it does everything i need.
    That's a good idea. I have a ceramic heat emitter and a UVA light on him during the day and it stays around 85-90 degrees so it works fine. But during the night is when it gets cold. I want it to be dark for my frog but sometimes I have to keep both lights on so he won't freeze.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's a good idea. I have a ceramic heat emitter and a UVA light on him during the day and it stays around 85-90 degrees so it works fine. But during the night is when it gets cold. I want it to be dark for my frog but sometimes I have to keep both lights on so he won't freeze.
    Pixies don't need UVA lights. Replace it with red type bulb you can leave on all night to help with low night temps. To reduce heat loss, cover whole screen top with aluminum foil taped to sides (electric tape works well). Then using a sharpie, draw a line around light fixtures. Remove fixtures and using scissors cut foil around marks; but make the hole(s) larger 1 in. around perimeter for ventilation. This will help maintain heat and humidity in enclosure. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Pixies don't need UVA lights. Replace it with red type bulb you can leave on all night to help with low night temps. To reduce heat loss, cover whole screen top with aluminum foil taped to sides (electric tape works well). Then using a sharpie, draw a line around light fixtures. Remove fixtures and using scissors cut foil around marks; but make the hole(s) larger 1 in. around perimeter for ventilation. This will help maintain heat and humidity in enclosure. Good luck !

I just use UVA lights because I have a lot of them laying around the house. I hate looking at red lights, they give me headaches D: There's also no screen on my frog's cage, it's all wood. I have it in the house until winter is over now, seems to be fine. Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

The only purpose a UVA light serves is for use in producing a day/night cycle.

NialR35

Well too much substrate COULD encourage aestivation therefore I would not do that if I were you; especially since its getting colder and frogs normally aestivate when weather conditions are bad/too dry. Also because it could end up bad if you are not prepared or don't know what to do in that situation. If the problem is making the cage warmer during a colder season, adding more substrate will not help because you will just end up with a larger quantity of cold substrate. You can obtain a lamp with a dimmer switch and a 50w incandescent bulb ( RED/ Infrared preferred so it would not disturb your frog's day cycle) and you can adjust the bulb potency to reach the temperature you desire.

Also following Carlos' advise will really help you sustain temperatures and humidity levels.

Thread Information