Thread: Bufo japonicus & Bufo viridis

Nationality
    [Denmark]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Bufo japonicus & Bufo viridis

Hi guys!

So I've been thinking that I in a year or so would like to buy a specimen of Bufo japonicus and Bufo viridis and I've been looking around but cannot find anywhere in Scaninavia, where these guys are sold.

I saw an old ad from 2011, where a guy in the UK sold a juvenile japonicus, but I want to hear if any of you guys know a place where you can buy these toads, where the setup is legal and allright?

Anyone know any place in the US, maybe? If I'm lucky in the future, maybe I can figure out a way to pick them up or get them here.

Ml, Vic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Default Re: Bufo japonicus & Bufo viridis

I could also be interested in a Bufo Gattatus one day

We have a twice-a-year reptile and terrarium convention coming to Zealand and I visited it in October, but they mainly have dartfrogs, cane toads or pacmans.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello! Think the Bufo gattatus, commonly known as Smooth Sided Toad, is a doable thing. They are widely available and only need to check for their availability at places you visit (i.e. Zealand or the U.S.). No idea about the former; but in the U.S., would advice looking into the amphibian section at Kingsnake classifieds. There are seller reviews at the forums testimonial section or you can ask here about any vendor before ordering your toads. Some of them do deliver to Europe but imagine that is very expensive unless doing large orders.

In regards to Bufo japanicus, that is a different story. Have not seen them available here, so your best chances is to find a source in Japan that could ship to you. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Hey Carlos.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll deffinently look into it.

Allright! Sounds very cool. I'm surprised by that - it's actually possible to have them delivered from Japan or the US? Wouldn't such a travel be too stressfull for their health?

Nationality
    [United States]

"Samurai Japan" Pacman frogs make it to the U.S. from Japan. The challenge is not travel stress; but locating a good collector or importer that will quarantine and maintain frogs in health. Then you have to navigate all import/export legal requirements and documentations. In some cases you need special commercial licenses; but if taking couple specimens in a flight with you, that is usually not a problem. Picking up a couple frogs during a vacation return trip would be the most affordable choice .

If not flying with them, it can become very costly unless importing large numbers of them. In some countries like U.S. you will need a licensed transshipper to receive your frogs at airport and then they will send them to you. I've not done this yet with frogs; but have with fish and it's not cheap ($75 for a 1.5" fish received at LA and shipped to VA). That is on top of fish cost and shipment to the U.S. licensed transshipper .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Allright.

I would save up for it and pay the price - this will be in a year or so, if we haver a larger place to live, so I can have another terrarium. I would especially like a Bufo viridis, but they're endangered here in DK and illegal to take home (internationally they are Least Concern). It would be by flight: Good to know that the stress level is not the thing that could make it go wrong.

Got it. I'll see what I can find out.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Anyone have an idea as to how to get in touch with a Japanese source that sell these guys?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I asked Samurai Japan about the Japanese Toads and they told me that they thought it was illegal to export them to the USA. I don't know if it is illegal on the Japanese end or the USA end of things. I'm not even sure if it is really illegal. There are a lot of people here that are interested in them and want them. But no one seems to be able to get them. I've contacted a few people over the years who were going to try and import some and all of them fell through and it never happened.

I don't know about other countries. If you can find someone that already has some in another country or even captive bred you will probably have luck in getting some. But it seems Japanese Toads in the pet trade are harder to find than a needle in a haystack. Plus they seem to not exist at all in the USA. I've seen on other forums for the UK and other parts of the world, posts from people who have them.

So I wish you luck in trying to find some Japanese Toads.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Dear Ashley.

I understand. :./

So far I've found a contact in Vienna who might have toadlets, come August '14 and a guy in Germany who actually has two he wants to sell me, so now I'm trying to figure out if I can get them to DK somehow.

Yes - they are really hard to get a hold of!
    Last chance otherwise is a Danish guy who has a contact in Germany that sells Bufo melanosticus - he might be able to get in touch with someone down there, or I might be able to smooth talk him into picking the toads up for me at the other guys place. Yeah... Alot of crossing around.

Thank you

Thread Information