Thread: Can't decide..help?

skully23

Question Can't decide..help?

I was trying to go for a red-eyed leaf frog but then I want something I can touch and hold. So I will list the requirments I would love to have in a frog or toad.

1) Able to hold and will get along with holding
    2) Live in a ten gallon tank
    3) Cheap and easy to care for
    4) Will eat crickets/fish
    5) won't grow too big but not too small for a ten gallon tank
    6) Very easy to buy from a site
    7) is awake during the day
    8) Not so messy

See if you can fit me a frog or toad so I can go do some research. I would love some cheap tadpole sites. I want to raise a tadpole to the frog/toad please.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: Can't decide..help?

The stipulations you give are rather limiting. Given your requirements it might be best to just collect a local toad species like the american toad. That is as cheap as it gets. Almost any time you buy a live frog over the internet your looking at around 35-50$ for overnight shipping so that isn't going to be an option if your looking for something real cheap. American toads are not colorful but they will tame down fairly well and fit your listed requirements pretty well. If you are willing to give up the handling bit fire bellied toads are a decent choice for your other requirements too. You could probably find them locally for under 15$ so that is a cheap option that is more colorful.

skully23

Basically something that is cheap, fits a ten gallon tank, and can be held. Those are three main things I kind of expect.

skully23

I think my friend is going to catch me a bullfrog tadpole! That will have to do. Anything I need for it?

volcom19961995

Wink Re: Can't decide..help?

a bigger tank bullfrogs can get pretty big

Kurt

And filtration. You will need to keep a tadpole like you keep fish, except the current from the filter cannot be too strong.

beaux mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by skully23 View Post
    Basically something that is cheap, fits a ten gallon tank, and can be held. Those are three main things I kind of expect.
    Before I had Gussie, I had a (Bufo americanus) toad named Herbert...I had him for almost 7 years. He was so much fun and didn't get too big. He use to crawl into the cuff of my bell bottom jeans and would stay in there as I walked about the house. He also luved riding in the back of a toy truck that I pulled theough the house. he would lay on my shoulder for an hour without wanting to hop away. I spent alot of time with him and he would sometimes follow me....He was given to me as a baby, and he grew to be a small toad compared to Gussie..You would enjoy a toad like Herbert. I wanted to get another one just ike him but, I felt sorry for Gussie when I spotted her in a pet store looking so alone and in need of a good home....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

beaux mitchell

Here is a link to a video that I made in memory of Herbert...
    http://www.rockyou.com/viewslideshow...ceid=109416335

skully23

I really wish I could find something that would fit in a ten gallon tank. A bullfrog seems really interesting but toads just seem kind of boring. Is there anyway to create a safe tank or something easily for a bullfrog?

Kurt

Yeah, make it at least 4' x 4' x 4'.

Toads are boring? Blasphemy! In my book, toads are third in the hierarchy of frogs. First is treefrogs, then darts/mantellas, then toads, and finally Microhylids. Bullfrogs never even make my list. Some of my favorite toads are Melanophryniscus stelzneri, Ollotis alvaria, and Anaxyrus debilis. See John's albums for pictures.

Paul Rust

You made an error Kurt, here I'll fix it for you.
    No need to thank me.

Darts/Mantellas
    Treefrogs
    Microhylids
    Bullfrogs
    Plastic toy frogs
    Beanie Babies frogs
    Littlest Pet Shop frogs
    Dog poop that looks like a frog
    Toads

Paul Rust

I really wish I could find something that would fit in a ten gallon tank. A bullfrog seems really interesting but toads just seem kind of boring. Is there anyway to create a safe tank or something easily for a bullfrog?
    look at Ebony's albums. She has some Southern Bell Frogs that are close in size to bullfrogs. She has a great enclosure she made from an aviary. Might give you some ideas.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    You made an error Kurt, here I'll fix it for you.
    No need to thank me.

Darts/Mantellas
    Treefrogs
    Microhylids
    Bullfrogs
    Plastic toy frogs
    Beanie Babies frogs
    Littlest Pet Shop frogs
    Dog poop that looks like a frog
    Toads
    YouTube - Dr Cox - Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong[/URL]

Paul Rust

HA!!!

skully23

love the humor kurt!

Um can anyone hook me up with a toad tadpole? Idk if I could possibly catch one anywhere because I don't know if they are toads..
    Also! I go camping during august and I find baby toads all the time! Will one of those grow to fit the ten gallon?
    and I have no clue who ebony is

I would actually like to be hooked up with a cane toad tadpole tho. I can try to work out the tank size.
    Wait...whats wrong with a bullfrog!? They easy to take care of?

Paul Rust

love the humor kurt!

Um can anyone hook me up with a toad tadpole? I dont know if I could possibly catch one anywhere because I don't know if they are toads..
    Also! I go camping during august and I find baby toads all the time! Will one of those grow to fit the ten gallon?
    and I have no clue who ebony is

I would actually like to be hooked up with a cane toad tadpole tho. I can try to work out the tank size.
    Wait...whats wrong with a bullfrog!? They easy to take care of?
    Bullfrogs are easy to take care of. They do need a little more room though as they are mostly aquatic.

skully23

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    Bullfrogs are easy to take care of. They do need a little more room though as they are mostly aquatic.

Would a big tub work? Those plastic storage ones?

Kurt

Maybe, how big is it? Ebony is one of the moderators here.

Paul Rust

Goofing around aside, you might want to try a toad. They are pretty sturdy and easier than a bullfrog would be because they are smaller and your 10g would be perfect.. Get used to keeping the toad and then move on to the bullfrog. Unless you can build a good enclosure for it.

Thread Information