Thread: New member

drobbyb

Default New member

Just wanted to say hi to everyone! A little about myself: I have been an avid fish keeper and breeder for the past 17 years specializing in Rainbowfish from Australia and New Guinea. Due to the economic situation, my family and I had to move to a smaller place that doesn't allow fish oddly enough. I had to reluctantly sell off my stock and most of my tanks as a result and I have been going mad without them.

In the past I had toyed around with the idea of keeping dart frogs, but it was never serious. Last week I took the family to the local zoo and they had a dart frog exhibit. I had never seen these amazing little frogs in person before. That was all it took, I had to have some!

For the past week I have been doing research on the internet on their care and breeding but there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I am an active member on Tropical Fish Forums, and that particular forum has proven to be an invaluable resource. I was hoping to find the same here.

I am still in the research and planning stages as I want to ensure that I can provide the best environment and care as possible before I commit to purchasing livestock.

Hope to see you in the main sub forums!

Paul Rust

Default Re: New member

Welcome to the forum. Many of us have darts here so information isn't far away.

Skulldroog

I've always liked clownfish, my girlfriend wants me to get a saltwater tank with a few and a boxfish, as well as an eel and all other sorts of things.

Welcome to the forums, there's ALOT of people with dart frogs on these forums who are very informative when it comes to the care and upkeep of different species of not only dart frogs, but all frogs in general. I hope you find what you're looking for in these forums.

See you around.

drobbyb

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm glad that I have stumbled across this community. I'm sure I will have many questions, but before I ask too many, I'll see what others have posted and learn what I can.

xkatelynell

Welcome! I actually just got my first dart, and let me tell you I have been on here every waking second since. I thought I was so prepared but once you get it a million questions go through your head.

You're in good hands here, everyone is very helpful.

Kurt

Welcome aboard. Among our care articles there will be a dart frog one soon. It will be geared towards Ranitomeya imitator and what I have read so far is immpressive, even if I didn't write it.

I used to keep Melanotaenia praecox & boesemani myself. Never bred them though.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum Robby.

drobbyb

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I used to keep Melanotaenia praecox & boesemani myself. Never bred them though.
    Don't know how I missed this post! Really, getting rainbows to breed isn't the problem, it's raising the fry. I'm not sure if you know anything about raising fry, but rainbow fry are really tiny, and thus they need really small food. Ideal starter foods for rainbow fry would be things like paramecium, green water, vinegar eels (my favorite,) and micro worms. After they grow a bit you can feed them freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. Once they reach this stage you usually don't lose too many.

I've kept many species, but my favorite would have to be the common Melanotaenia lacustris.

Melanotaenia lacustris

Young male showing his breeding stripe

Growout tank

Fry

Melanotaenia duboulayi

drobbyb

Thread Information