Thread: Skinny Milk Frog help please!

samw

Default Skinny Milk Frog help please!

Hello! I have two Amazon Milk Frogs that are approx. 6 weeks old. They live in a 30x30x45 planted exoterra. One is doing fine and has grown a fair bit (its about an inch long) since having them for 3 weeks the other has remained tiny (about1.5cm). I haven't really seen either of them eat but I tend to put crickets in at night and leave them to it. There are a fair few excess crickets scurrying around in there so they aren't running out of food. I have tried taking tiny out and feeding him separately in a tub a couple of times but he doesn't eat in there and I'm wondering if the stress of moving him out isn't helping. Any help from you guys would be hugely appreciated, I want them nice and healthy! Thanks guys!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

maxQ

Default Re: Skinny Milk Frog help please!

I cant speak for Milks because I have just purchased my first 3 yesterday but, I have a runt of the litter with my Dumpies, 1 of my 3 is just so much smaller than the rest but he seems happy and healthy, Is your little guy eating and pooping?

samw

Quote Originally Posted by maxQ View Post
    I cant speak for Milks because I have just purchased my first 3 yesterday but, I have a runt of the litter with my Dumpies, 1 of my 3 is just so much smaller than the rest but he seems happy and healthy, Is your little guy eating and pooping?
    I've never seem him eat but I tend to leave them food overnight so wouldn't see anyway. He hasn't eaten when I've put him separately with crickets in a tub but I put him back in the viv after half an hour so not to stress him. As for poop there are two frogs and I've never caught either in the act of pooping so couldn't tell whose poo! I'm wondering whether to remove the substrate and some of the plants so there are less hiding places for crickets. Hopefully its just a smaller frog but fatty is about twice the size of him!

maxQ

Quote Originally Posted by samw View Post
    I've never seem him eat but I tend to leave them food overnight so wouldn't see anyway. He hasn't eaten when I've put him separately with crickets in a tub but I put him back in the viv after half an hour so not to stress him. As for poop there are two frogs and I've never caught either in the act of pooping so couldn't tell whose poo! I'm wondering whether to remove the substrate and some of the plants so there are less hiding places for crickets. Hopefully its just a smaller frog but fatty is about twice the size of him!
    I wish you luck, I bought 3 Milks yesterday at a show and now I'm having an issue with one of mine, he's very lethargic , I pick him up and he barley moved, hes just sitting on the bottom of my Viv. I hope hes just stressed from the move and new surrounds and that he will snap out of it.

ejh805

If you got them just recently, it is probably stress. Could also be smaller because you have a male:female pair.
    Males are a lot smaller than females. My boy is about 1/2 the size of the other 2 girls, and is a fair bit skinnier. Milks are very hardy, so I wouldn't be too too worried.
    Just make sure they're in a quiet area and that 3 sides of the tank are covered & they should settle in with some time.

samw

Quote Originally Posted by ejh805 View Post
    If you got them just recently, it is probably stress. Could also be smaller because you have a male:female pair.
    Males are a lot smaller than females. My boy is about 1/2 the size of the other 2 girls, and is a fair bit skinnier. Milks are very hardy, so I wouldn't be too too worried.
    Just make sure they're in a quiet area and that 3 sides of the tank are covered & they should settle in with some time.
    Thanks. Do they show their dimorphism this early though? Hopefully its just a fatty girl then! I'd still like to see him eat to put my mind at rest.

ejh805

My male has always been significantly smaller than the other two girls, I cannot speak for yours with 100% certainty though.
    You should post pics and it may help.

samw

Name:  20131026_172715.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  53.9 KB Hey guys I've finally managed to get a photo up for you. This is the size difference that is a 5pence piece for comparison. To update the situation I've definitely seen fatty eat, he is quite the hunter, as soon as anything is in there he will go for it. Little guy however might notice food moving but I've still not seen him do much more than take notice. Whether he is eating at all I am not sure. I only feed small crickets at the moment, I wonder is there any tiny food that some frogs find more appetising? Are fruit flies suitable for Milk Frogs or are they just too tiny? thanks for your help!

maxQ

Ill be honest, they don't look bad to me, I have one runt also

ejh805

Looks like the smaller one is actually younger than the other. Like they are from separate clutches.
    Both look healthy though

samw

Quote Originally Posted by ejh805 View Post
    Looks like the smaller one is actually younger than the other. Like they are from separate clutches.
    Both look healthy though
    They were from the same clutch (as far as I'm aware) and were identical when I got them. The size difference is a result of one growing and the other not growing! Which is why I'm wondering how to get my little one to turn into a fatty one!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi,
    Have you considered separating them . . . . . . so to reduce the possibility of competition for food.
    You could try D. Hydei fruit flies ( commonly used ....largest species) for the little guy ?
    Leave the little guy in his own little enclosure for a while to make dinner 'easy'..... yummy !
    The need hiding places ( holes ) -- way up high in their enclosures.

ie----silicone a 'reptile' cave to the side of the tank wall -- leave drain holes- they would love it!

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Beardo

I know that my Milk Frog (I only have one at the moment) is a very shy eater and will only eat one prey item per night lol (I feed dubia roaches).....I have to put the roach in a shallow deli cup and turn out the lights before the frog will eat.....I think seperating the frogs and feeding a small # of prey items will help.

maxQ

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    I know that my Milk Frog (I only have one at the moment) is a very shy eater and will only eat one prey item per night lol (I feed dubia roaches).....I have to put the roach in a shallow deli cup and turn out the lights before the frog will eat.....I think seperating the frogs and feeding a small # of prey items will help.
    I have 3 and I never seen them eat, In fact If I want to see them move at all I need to be awake between 0200 and 0600. I know that they are eating, they are getting bigger and fatter.

16. This member thanks maxQ for this post:

samw

Hey guys!

Thanks for you suggestions!

Well I left them to it over the past few months, they are both happily eating, I'm using 3rd and 4th crickets due to their size difference. I still have no idea why he won't grow. As you can see the difference is getting big!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

samw

So to update the situation, the inevitable happened - Fatty got bigger, and ate Little Dude. Luckily I spotted Little Dudes legs sticking out of Fattys mouth and poked him until he spat him out. They are temporarily boxed up separately until I can sort a more permanent solution.

Stupid frogs!!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by samw View Post
    So to update the situation, the inevitable happened - Fatty got bigger, and ate Little Dude. Luckily I spotted Little Dudes legs sticking out of Fattys mouth and poked him until he spat him out. They are temporarily boxed up separately until I can sort a more permanent solution.

Stupid frogs!!!!!
    They are not stupid; they are frogs !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information